Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #4,441 of 6,561
Just got another set of Elrog ER300B to try ... the first set was very sharp in my system, this one is very different, like a completely different tube. A lot more mellow and musical, good extension but without any sharpness. That's what I was expecting getting those tubes in the first place.

Not sure why this is, the previous ones I know were new form beginning of 2023 and with maybe 40h on the clock, and the ones I've got now are older from mid 2022 (I need to check the exact history and hours with the seller). But anyway, those sound completely different. I would describe it as very detailed but very very smooth. It's actually smoother than Psvane WE300 I'm running as well.

Now is it objectively better than Psvane WE300B ... no, it's more less on a similar level, but where the previous pair of ER300B sounded sharp, ultra clear, and more artificial than the WE300B, the ones I've got now sound smoother, a bit less clear, but more natural and equally detailed. Effortless, natural and spacious is how I would describe those.

Not sure what more to say, I will add more info about the age of the ones I've got now and their running time when I learn something. It doesn't happen often that I get the same product twice and get 2 very different impressions ... hmm 🤷‍♂️ Maybe on that the first ones I had weren't fully burned in? But then I don't see how they would be able to relax so much and change their sound profile so much. Not sure.

I based my interest in Elrogs on feedback here, but also on Convince Me Audio's review of HA300MK2. How he described the Elrogs in his review is exactly what I'm hearing now with my TC. Smooth, natural, yet extended and detailed with "liquid" mids.

That's why I was shocked with the first set I tried, becaus it was not like that at all. It was super clear, and super detailed, but also really agressive in delivery. Maybe it was an anomaly in my setup, hard to say ... I'm baffled : > but happy I gave ER300B another shot.

Update : so those ones I got are replacements (not sure how, why etc.) from 2022 that were never used or burned in. That is ... shocking. Ok so what I described above is the sound of fresh tubes without burn in ... and they sound very mature and "burned-in" already ... let's see what will happen in the first 50h then : )

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #4,442 of 6,561
Just got another set of Elrog ER300B to try ... the first set was very sharp in my system, this one is very different, like a completely different tube. A lot more mellow and musical, good extension but without any sharpness. That's what I was expecting getting those tubes in the first place.

Not sure why this is, the previous ones I know were new and with maybe 40h on the clock, and the ones I've got now are older with many more hours (I need to check how many exactly with the seller). But anyway, those sound completely different. I would describe it as very detailed but very very smooth. It's actually smoother than Psvane WE300 I'm running as well.

Now is it objectively better than Psvane WE300B ... no, it's more less on a similar level, but where the previous pair of ER300B sounded sharp, ultra clear, and more artificial than the WE300B, the ones I've got now sound smoother, a bit less clear, but more natural and equally detailed. Effortless, natural and spacious is how I would describe those.

Not sure what more to say, I will add more info about the age of the ones I've got now and their running time when I learn something. It doesn't happen often that I get the same product twice and get 2 very different impressions ... hmm 🤷‍♂️ Maybe on that the first ones I had weren't fully burned in? But then I don't see how they would be able to relax so much and change their sound profile so much. Not sure.

I based my interest in Elrogs on feedback here, but also on Convince Me Audio's review of HA300MK2. How he described the Elrogs in his review is exactly what I'm hearing now with my TC. Smooth, natural, yet extended and detailed with "liquid" mids.

That's why I was shocked with the first set I tried, becaus it was not like that at all. It was super clear, and super detailed, but also really agressive in delivery. Maybe it was an anomaly in my setup, hard to say ... I'm baffled : > but happy I gave ER300B another shot.
how are they on both of your headphones? could you share your thoughts on each?

Oct 10, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #4,443 of 6,561

Not sure why this is, the previous ones I know were new and with maybe 40h on the clock, and the ones I've got now are older with many more hours (I need to check how many exactly with the seller). But anyway, those sound completely different. I would describe it as very detailed but very very smooth. It's actually smoother than Psvane WE300 I'm running as well.

Sounds like burn-in to me, and pretty much the same thing I experienced. Tubes can often change quite a bit with some good burn-in. Also, I have found the ER300B to be neutral enough to really let you hear what the other tubes are doing. It's amazing how different I can get my amp to sound by rolling different drivers and rectifiers when paired with the ER300B. The ER300B truly let the amp strut its stuff, and it really takes time to fully appreciate what they can do. I remember when I first rolled mine in, I thought they were very mid forward, aggressive and closed in, however some burn-in and different drivers/rectifiers really opened up the sound.

I don't take much stock in reviews of tube amps, as they usually never tube roll and give you the entire picture, but Convince Me Audio actually did a decent job.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #4,444 of 6,561
how are they on both of your headphones? could you share your thoughts on each?
My first experience with TC (with the first set) was not good, too sharp. The set that I have now is ... definitely among the best TC pairings I've ever heard ... but, give me 2 weeks to burn them in, get some more in-depth thoughts for TC and Utopia.

Oct 10, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #4,445 of 6,561
Sounds like burn-in to me, and pretty much the same thing I experienced. Tubes can often change quite a bit with some good burn-in. Also, I have found the ER300B to be neutral enough to really let you hear what the other tubes are doing. It's amazing how different I can get my amp to sound by rolling different drivers and rectifiers when paired with the ER300B. The ER300B truly let the amp strut its stuff, and it really takes time to fully appreciate what they can do. I remember when I first rolled mine in, I thought they were very mid forward, aggressive and closed in, however some burn-in and different drivers/rectifiers really opened up the sound.

I don't take much stock in reviews of tube amps, as they usually never tube roll and give you the entire picture, but Convince Me Audio actually did a decent job.
From what you describe could be that the ones I have now are new and will be burning in (that's also what the seller told me) ... hope they won't become agressive and won't loose the sweetness, but could benefit from a little bit more clarity and extension. I will report in a week or two :)

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #4,446 of 6,561
Speaking of burn-in, this tube (Russian 6C5C) is really starting to impress me.

20231011_081626.jpg

Spoiler alert - The Melz 1578 Hole Plate, ain't got nothin on this one.

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #4,447 of 6,561
Speaking of burn-in, this tube (Russian 6C5C) is really starting to impress me.

20231011_081626.jpg

Spoiler alert - The Melz 1578 Hole Plate, ain't got nothin on this one.
🤣 Reminder: it’s not a Wes S post without: “long live …” 🤣

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #4,448 of 6,561
So I check every day every US shop I can find in google, even in the deepest google results and I found a shop they had 4x22DE4 wihout photo named Raytheon. I asked the owner for photo of the tubes and they are the Japanese Black Plate, she said they didn't test but they sell only NOS and they didn't have problem with the tubes sold so far. They were 8USD each so I pulled the trigger. Lets see if I am lucky.

Hopefully one day I can find Sicte in the very deepest corner of the planet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #4,449 of 6,561
So I check every day every US shop I can find in google, even in the deepest google results and I found a shop they had 4x22DE4 wihout photo named Raytheon. I asked the owner for photo of the tubes and they are the Japanese Black Plate, she said they didn't test but they sell only NOS and they didn't have problem with the tubes sold so far. They were 8USD each so I pulled the trigger. Lets see if I am lucky.

Hopefully one day I can find Sicte in the very deepest corner of the planet. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Awesome and nice find! Get ready for some serious bass. :grin:

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #4,452 of 6,561
Awesome and nice find! Get ready for some serious bass. :grin:
The bad thing is I am sending all 22DE4 to my sister in law home in Texas (GE Coin Base, Ray Jap black plate, Dumont) , so I dont know when I will be able to try them. When I do some piling I will send here through Fedex or something. The rolling train is coming :sunglasses:

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #4,454 of 6,561
Oct 11, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #4,455 of 6,561
The bad thing is I am sending all 22DE4 to my sister in law home in Texas (GE Coin Base, Ray Jap black plate, Dumont) , so I dont know when I will be able to try them. When I do some piling I will send here through Fedex or something. The rolling train is coming :sunglasses:
The Raytheons are the best of the 22de4 i can find plus a couple of dumonts and sulivania as NOS. They are so scarce unless you want the later button coin versions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back