Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 8, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #4,426 of 6,561
Anyone compare ha300 mk2 to wa23 ?
One potential issue with the wa23 to be aware of is that it doesn't appear to be a good match with Tungstens, which are low sensitivity and high impedance (for a planar) headphones. Most anything else should work great though.

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #4,427 of 6,561
The 2A3 is a more natural sounding tube and some prefer it over the 300B. There is one amp that allows either to be used. I would like to have a 2A3 headphone amp of quality. It is a great tube. And I have a nice NOS pair of matched RCA black plate. :^)

Oct 9, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #4,428 of 6,561
The 2A3 is a more natural sounding tube and some prefer it over the 300B. There is one amp that allows either to be used. I would like to have a 2A3 headphone amp of quality. It is a great tube. And I have a nice NOS pair of matched RCA black plate. :^)

To be fair I am looking for a more euphonic, mid-focused, warm sounding amp. So maybe 300b would be a good choice for me?

I did have 1 other 300 b amp which was the elekit tu8600 but I found that had a pretty linear neutral ss type sound.

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #4,429 of 6,561
To be fair I am looking for a more euphonic, mid-focused, warm sounding amp. So maybe 300b would be a good choice for me?

I did have 1 other 300 b amp which was the elekit tu8600 but I found that had a pretty linear neutral ss type sound.
For that you're possibly looking at wrong amps. Get HA6a with some Mullard new production tubes and you're sorted.

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #4,430 of 6,561

Curious, what tubes did you have in the Elekit?

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #4,431 of 6,561
Curious, what tubes did you have in the Elekit?
I tried many including nos mullard 12au7 and cossor we300b and elrog 300b.

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #4,432 of 6,561
For that you're possibly looking at wrong amps. Get HA6a with some Mullard new production tubes and you're sorted.
So ha300 is not warm and euphonic ?

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #4,434 of 6,561
So ha300 is not warm and euphonic ?
I wouldn't describe it like that with most, especially higher end tubes. Its a world class hifi amp with all of the summit fi adjectives you can put on it ... and you can make it warm and "tubey" but that's not the point of amps in this class I feel. 2nd hand HA6a will give you a tuby sound in very many flavours for a fraction of the price.

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #4,435 of 6,561
I think using single-ended and high impedance dynamic like Atrium you can get the warm euphonic sound you want, not excesive, but then you have the tubes. At least, in my ears, that combination sounds like I remember with the Euforia AE, and now with the Quad CV6 GEC the sound is extremely delicious listening rock 🤤

I always ask myself why @Wes S doesn't have Atrium being a big fan of ZMF sound.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #4,436 of 6,561
I think using single-ended and high impedance dynamic like Atrium you can get the warm euphonic sound you want, not excesive, but then you have the tubes. At least, in my ears, that combination sounds like I remember with the Euforia AE, and now with the Quad CV6 the sound is extremely delicious listening rock 🤤

I always ask myself why @Wes S doesn't have Atrium being a big fan of ZMF sound.
I will own an Atrium Closed and Caldera Closed eventually. However, I have been working on building up a killer tube collection for my HA300MK2 this past year, so all my fun money has been going there. :wink: I figure it's best to stock up on NOS tubes first as they are continuing to get depleted and when they are gone that's it. Tube amps are continually getting more and more popular as well, so the NOS tube supply is not long for this world. The AC and Caldera Closed will still be there when I am ready. I also have my system dialed in for my VC's and Atticus, so I am quite content for the meantime anyways.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #4,437 of 6,561
I will own an Atrium Closed and Caldera Closed eventually. However, I have been working on building up a killer tube collection for my HA300MK2 this past year, so all my fun money has been going there. :wink: I figure it's best to stock up on NOS tubes first as they are continuing to get depleted and when they are gone that's it. Tube amps are continually getting more and more popular as well, so the NOS tube supply is not long for this world. The AC and Caldera Closed will still be there when I am ready. I also have my system dialed in for my VC's and Atticus, so I am quite content for the meantime anyways.
Same wih the 22DE4. I bought the Quad matched GE Coin Base, just to have extra and roll. Also I bought the Dumont I saw posted. I never saw talk about that brand here, but it was just 6USD so doesn't hurt.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #4,438 of 6,561
Getting some excellent results with the adapters Wes suggested, the 1952 Svetlana 6C8C, WE 300B and the Sony R-10. Super nice sound. Very transparent, wonderful tuneful bass lines and great separation and depth. Doing this in all single ended. Oh, and using Japanese grey plate 22DE4 tubes and the iBasso DX320MAX with line out.

I think the adapters take a good 60 to 70 hours of current going through the wiring for the wire, solder and the dielectric to settle in.

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #4,439 of 6,561
Getting some excellent results with the adapters Wes suggested, the 1952 Svetlana 6C8C, WE 300B and the Sony R-10. Super nice sound. Very transparent, wonderful tuneful bass lines and great separation and depth. Doing this in all single ended. Oh, and using Japanese grey plate 22DE4 tubes and the iBasso DX320MAX with line out.

I think the adapters take a good 60 to 70 hours of current going through the wiring for the wire, solder and the dielectric to settle in.

How you liking your ha300 mk2 vs the rest of your head amps ?

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #4,440 of 6,561

Users who are viewing this thread

Back