Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #2,176 of 6,376
I also have the Linlais, and from the tubes I have, I would say Kenrads VT-231 staggered plates, are by far the ones that have the hardest hitting bass.

I got the black glass variant, but from what I read, it doesn't matter, only parallel plates vs staggered construction makes a difference, apparently.
Speaking of bass, the RFT's I am running make the Ken-Rad VT231 sound bass light and bloated. Also, the earlier black glass KenRad is a bit darker sounding overall with stronger bass and more middbass bloom than the later clear glass version in my experience and I have had over 10 pairs of each over the years (they used to be one of my favs). The clear glass have better treble extension though, and a bit more open staging as well.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #2,177 of 6,376
The RFT's I am running make the Ken-Rad VT231 sound bass light and bloated. Also, the earlier black glass KenRad has stronger bass and more middbass bloom than the later clear glass version in my experience and I have had over 10 pairs of each over the years. The clear glass have better treble extension though, and a bit bigger staging as well.

I think you are right when you say the kenrads can sound bloated, I don't run them with the elrogs, but I think it could be a great choice for the takatsukis and the gold lions

I should definitely try a pair of RFTs someday to compare with the melz1578, but for now in terms of bass, IMO the melz1578 don't hit as hard as the kenrads, but is more palatable and controlled with the elrogs. I found the melz 1578 to be a great pair of tubes with its excellent at treble presence and perceived soundstage, but I don't think I would say its my first choice if I needed a bass boost

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #2,178 of 6,376
Curious, have you heard the earliest version RFT 6SN7 with welded plates and ceramic spacers? If so, I would love to know how they compare to the Melz, as that's the only 6SN7 I have not heard. I often see mention of the Melz compared to all but the RFT, so you might be one of the only people I know of that has heard both. I only know of one other person (of which is a kiler tube amp designer) who has heard both, and he preferred the RFT.

For reference, this is the version of RFT I am running pictured below.

The MELZ sound more balanced with better clarity, more staging depth and sweetness through midrange presence where the RFT sound more bombastic with more haze at the treble and flat dimension -- meeting a sort of Ken-Rad VT231 and TSBGRP cross. It is the supreme balance where the MELZ makes itself exceptionally special.

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #2,179 of 6,376
The MELZ sound more balanced with better clarity, more staging depth and sweetness through midrange presence where the RFT sound more bombastic with more haze at the treble and flat dimension -- meeting a sort of Ken-Rad VT231 and TSBGRP cross. It is the supreme balance where the MELZ makes itself exceptionally special.
Sounds like I made the right choice, and I will be happily sticking with my RFT's. Synergy and preferences are everything when it comes to tubes of this caliber, and thanks for the info. The RFT's aren't the last word when it comes to stage expansion and the treble is smooth (how I like it), and I can counter the staging with a rectifier roll anyway, and love how bombastic and euphoric they are. I think if I listened to classical or jazz, I might prefer the Melz 1578. However, I listen to Bluegrass, Folk, and Jam Bands, and the RFT's highlight those types of music perfectly for my taste.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #2,180 of 6,376
Thank you all for the useful informations.
I just order a pair of RFT tubes , probably in future I try Melz 1578.
Now I am just waiting to be everything delivered and after I am sharing my experience here.
Also anyone rolled the emissionslab EML 300B Mesh tubes and how they are compared with Elrog 300B. They are just half price than Elrog’s.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2,181 of 6,376
How do you like this amp overall for Susvara?
Nothing I’ve heard has a sweeter tone than the HA-300 and Susvara combination. For gentle and elegant music, like vocal and acoustic pop, it’s unbeatable. For punchier and harder slamming music like EDM, bass-heavy pop, dance, hip hop, R&B, and rock the HA-300 and Susvara aren’t the optimal match.

The Susvara scales with more power like no other headphone I’ve heard. With enough power, you can make the Susvara slam almost as hard as the Abyss 1266 Phi TC while retaining all its strengths. My little SMSL SA-400 Class D integrated amp easily beats the HA-300 with the Susvara for harder hitting music genres and cost me less than 10% of the cost of the HA-300 with upgraded tubes. The gain in dynamics and slam is worth the dial-down in sound stage, clarity, three-dimensionality, and tone.

I prefer the Abyss 1266 Phi TC with the HA-300 than with the SA-400 for full-on music genres though. You still get plenty of slam and dynamics with the Phi TC and HA-300 combination, it’s not worth losing the beautiful tone of 300b tubes. When you speaker tap amp the Phi TC, it can be too much and not in a good way. The Susvara is technically stronger than the Phi TC and just keeps scaling.

The relative weakness of the Phi TC are hollowed out mids and that’s where the HA-300 excels. AndyKong wasn’t convinced about the synergy of the TC drivers with 300b tubes. I like it, the Phi TC adds what 300b tubes struggle with, dynamics and slam, and the elegant and refined HA-300 makes the Phi TCs sound less ragged and more grown-up.

To me ears, tube rolling the HA-300 just improves it’s incredible tone and refinement, the basic sound signature doesn’t change that much in comparison with switching between Susvaras and the Phi TC or from a tubed HA-300 to a solid state integrated amp like the SA-400 from the speaker taps. If you have very diverse tastes in music, you might be better off with the SA-400, or something like it, than another pair of tubes.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #2,182 of 6,376
Nothing I’ve heard has a sweeter tone than the HA-300 and Susvara combination. For gentle and elegant music, like vocal and acoustic pop, it’s unbeatable. For punchier and harder slamming music like EDM, bass-heavy pop, dance, hip hop, R&B, and rock the HA-300 and Susvara aren’t the optimal match.

The Susvara scales with more power like no other headphone I’ve heard. With enough power, you can make the Susvara slam almost as hard as the Abyss 1266 Phi TC while retaining all its strengths. My little SMSL SA-400 Class D integrated amp easily beats the HA-300 with the Susvara for harder hitting music genres and cost me less than 10% of the cost of the HA-300 with upgraded tubes. The gain in dynamics and slam is worth the dial-down in sound stage, clarity, three-dimensionality, and tone.

I prefer the Abyss 1266 Phi TC with the HA-300 than with the SA-400 for full-on music genres though. You still get plenty of slam and dynamics with the Phi TC and HA-300 combination, it’s not worth losing the beautiful tone of 300b tubes. When you speaker tap amp the Phi TC, it can be too much and not in a good way. The Susvara is technically stronger than the Phi TC and just keeps scaling.

The relative weakness of the Phi TC are hollowed out mids and that’s where the HA-300 excels. AndyKong wasn’t convinced about the synergy of the TC drivers with 300b tubes. I like it, the Phi TC adds what 300b tubes struggle with, dynamics and slam, and the elegant and refined HA-300 makes the Phi TCs sound less ragged and more grown-up.

To me ears, tube rolling the HA-300 just improves it’s incredible tone and refinement, the basic sound signature doesn’t change that much in comparison with switching between Susvaras and the Phi TC or from a tubed HA-300 to a solid state integrated amp like the SA-400 from the speaker taps. If you have very diverse tastes in music, you might be better off with the SA-400, or something like it, than another pair of tubes.
I think I agree with every point you've made here, very cool.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #2,183 of 6,376
I have a problem with 1266 TC and HA-300 - soundstage can be too big on some type of music. Tracks that have big soundstage, like orchestra or live recordings, can sound like you are far away from the stage. They lose their lifelike character. That’s why for me 1266 on HA-300 are quite finicky - it can sound beautiful but also it can be not convincing enough.

I much more prefer LCD-4 and LCD-5 with Cayin (yet with Fives the bass can be too weak, but I must check other tubes). I got 1266 the same day that Holo May and the combo May, HA-300 and LCD-4 made me listening to my old cans rather the new ‘toy’ :wink:. It has this presence like I’m with the musicians.

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #2,184 of 6,376
I have a problem with 1266 TC and HA-300 - soundstage can be too big on some type of music. Tracks that have big soundstage, like orchestra or live recordings, can sound like you are far away from the stage. They lose their lifelike character. That’s why for me 1266 on HA-300 are quite finicky - it can sound beautiful but also it can be not convincing enough.

I much more prefer LCD-4 and LCD-5 with Cayin (yet with Fives the bass can be too weak, but I must check other tubes). I got 1266 the same day that Holo May and the combo May, HA-300 and LCD-4 made me listening to my old cans rather the new ‘toy’ :wink:. It has this presence like I’m with the musicians.
If headphones were track athletes, the Abyss 1266 TC would be a 100m runner. Big, heavily muscled, and fast. It will run 100m in under 10 seconds but as the distance increases, it will get more heavy-footed. The 1266 TC pumps everything up, sometimes indelicately, so if the music is already big but requires delicacy like orchestral, it doesn’t always do such a great job.

If 1266 TCs are 100m runners, Susvaras are decathletes. They can do everything to at least 8/10. Susvaras and HA-300 make everything sound beautiful. It’s a lovely non-fatiguing and highly detailed combination for classical music.

I’m listening to John Williams Berlin Philharmoniker in 24 Bit 192.0 kHz FLAC. With Susvaras, you don’t get the 1266 TC’s special sauce splatter of sound stage echo and bloat with some orchestral music.

If you listen to a lot of orchestral music, maybe consider the Sennheiser HD800S with the HA-300? That was the best value-for-money headphone I’ve listened to with the HA-300 and excelled at classical music.

I can hear the deficiencies of 1266 TCs with certain music genres and recordings but it entertains me more than other headphones and I listen to it the most.

I’m curious about the LCD4. How does it compare against the 1266 TC with the HA-300 for harder hitting music? I haven’t forgotten the headaches the LCD3 used to give me. It was the most uncomfortable headphone I’ve ever worn. Within 30-60 minutes the weight of the LCD3 slap bang on my head would hurt like hell. I tried a Lohb strap and it was better but not perfect. The 1266 TC looks ridiculous but I find it very comfortable. I have a big head and still have it on the tightest setting across the top.

LCD3s got me into high-end headphones. I’d listen to Bullet In The Head by Rage Against The Machine and be completely blown away. I listen to Usher’s Hard II Love and Chris Brown’s X on 1266 TCs for the same thrill.

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #2,185 of 6,376
If 1266 TCs are 100m runners, Susvaras are decathletes. They can do everything to at least 8/10. Susvaras and HA-300 make everything sound beautiful. It’s a lovely non-fatiguing and highly detailed combination for classical music.
Yup, something like that. 1266 are great with some music but they aren't universally great, at least on HA-300. I bought Enleum about a month ago and it seems a better match for Abyss, but I still need to test this setup more. Soundstage is not a problem anymore (maybe sometimes it could be a bit bigger, but it need to test this more).

If you listen to a lot of orchestral music, maybe consider the Sennheiser HD800S with the HA-300? That was the best value-for-money headphone I’ve listened to with the HA-300 and excelled at classical music.
Thank you for recommendation. I have HD800S at my radar for the future (at least for testing). Still I'm really happy with LCD-4 and 5. Fours are my most favourite cans (at least from those that I have listened to), the most enjoyable ones. John Williams with them sounds great yet LCD-5 gives violines more life. But as allarounder LCD-4 are the best for me (with HA-300 and May).

I’m curious about the LCD4. How does it compare against the 1266 TC with the HA-300 for harder hitting music? I haven’t forgotten the headaches the LCD3 used to give me. It was the most uncomfortable headphone I’ve ever worn. Within 30-60 minutes the weight of the LCD3 slap bang on my head would hurt like hell. I tried a Lohb strap and it was better but not perfect. The 1266 TC looks ridiculous but I find it very comfortable. I have a big head and still have it on the tightest setting across the top.
For the setup that I have (HA-300 MkI with still stock Full Music 300B and Psvane Treasure Mark II CV181-TII) for me LCD4 and 1266 TC are similar in quality but different in presentation. They both hit hard but bass at Audeze is fuller and leaks to midds while Abyss are more tight. The midds are more pleasent with LCD-4 (those vocals and guitars), warmer and with better texture. Abyss has better trebel, but it can go too high at times (like just barely over the line) but Audeze has this sparkles (some instruments are a bit brighter and it makes them pop nicely). 1266TC are very detailed but so does the LCD-4. The difference is that Abyss portray those things more in your face then the Fours. Yet LCD-5 is doing it even more. The imagine is I think similar - I tested it a few times with DMS test track that he did for Abyss Youtube channel and it was quite similar even the flaws on both were. LCD-5 got it a bit better in those parts.

As for the weight I'm used to heavy Audeze cans - XC were my first heavy ones. I don't mind it becasue thanks to that I love how LCD-4 looks (wood and chrome grills). You have right that despite it's weight Abyss are comfortable (well the discomfort may come from the loose fitting becasue it's not what many cans do). My only gripe with it is the o-rings system. For this much money you got something this cheap and not reliable (it's funny that the world's most durable headphones have something like this).

All in all I like both, but LCD-4 are better for everyday listening. Also I think that Abyss will be better with Enleum but I'll see.

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #2,186 of 6,376

You should try some rolling some G.E. 22DE4 rectifiers, if you want to reign in the stage and bring the sound forward a bit. The stock RCA rectifiers play a big roll in the expansive/diffused soundstage, but don't do the amp any favors when it comes to dynamics and bass slam/depth. The G.E.'s really bring the dynamics and excitement to another level, and have incredible bass depth, texture and punch, and the sound is more lifelike and it sounds as if you are there in the front row. The tubes can make a big difference if you roll the right ones (key factor), and another way to get what you are looking for is to roll in some Elrog ER300B's. Both the Elrog power tubes and G.E. rectifiers will give you what you are looking for with the TC's.

The more time I spend with this amp rolling tubes, and then go back and read reviews, it's clear to me that they are simply describing the sound of the amp paired up with the stock tubes, and not necessarily the sound of the amp on it's own. For instance, when I read huge stage and somewhat lacking in subbass, it's clear to me they did not roll any tubes, as that's what you get with the stock set. Personally I don't think a tube amp should be reviewed without rolling tubes as they can make quite a difference, and reviewing the amp with just the stock tubes doesn't tell the whole story.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #2,187 of 6,376
G.E 22DE just arrived , I am looking forward tomorrow to try them .
F69F59E3-51C6-482D-9534-16C797F1EB26.jpeg
I am coming back later with my opinion about this tubes , also a RFT and Kend-Rad it’s on the way .

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #2,188 of 6,376
G.E 22DE just arrived , I am looking forward tomorrow to try them .
I am coming back later with my opinion about this tubes , also a RFT and Kend-Rad it’s on the way .
Nice! Fun times ahead, and I look forward to hearing how they work out for you.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #2,189 of 6,376
You should try some rolling some G.E. 22DE4 rectifiers, if you want to reign in the stage and bring the sound forward a bit. The stock RCA rectifiers play a big roll in the expansive/diffused soundstage, but don't do the amp any favors when it comes to dynamics and bass slam/depth. The G.E.'s really bring the dynamics and excitement to another level, and have incredible bass depth, texture and punch, and the sound is more lifelike and it sounds as if you are there in the front row. The tubes can make a big difference if you roll the right ones (key factor), and another way to get what you are looking for is to roll in some Elrog ER300B's. Both the Elrog power tubes and G.E. rectifiers will give you what you are looking for with the TC's.

The more time I spend with this amp rolling tubes, and then go back and read reviews, it's clear to me that they are simply describing the sound of the amp paired up with the stock tubes, and not necessarily the sound of the amp on it's own. For instance, when I read huge stage and somewhat lacking in subbass, it's clear to me they did not roll any tubes, as that's what you get with the stock set. Personally I don't think a tube amp should be reviewed without rolling tubes as they can make quite a difference, and reviewing the amp with just the stock tubes doesn't tell the whole story.
Yes same impression with me. 22DE4 GE bring the sound forward, bigger vocal image, smoother treble.
I like em and will stay plugged in till they die 😉.

@Wes S thank you

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #2,190 of 6,376
Hi guys,
I am considering to upgrade my DAC currently using Chord Qutest connected to the HA300Mk2 via RCA, and I'm shortlisting Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE as I'd like to try R2R as well as wants to connect using XLR balanced.

Question to Holo users here, should I go with the one that comes with pre-amp or without? I don't really need the pre-amp function but concern about the output voltage as I understand higher voltage works better with the HA300, if it does not have pre-amp function, is the Spring 3 KTE's output voltage high enough for the HA300?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back