Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #1,981 of 6,287
There you go, you have your ballpark.

I was starting to get a bit nervous. Did encounter some listings that were closer to $1k than $500 and that made the ballpark get a lot bigger! :)

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #1,982 of 6,287
Curious if anyone knows, if 12AU7's with correct adapter (converts it to 6.3v) can be used instead of the 6SN7's? I know these 2 tube types are often interchangeable with the correct adapter, and I just wanted to confirm it's ok in the HA300mk2.

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #1,983 of 6,287
HA300mk2 is in the house, and this amp is a beast in sound, size and weight. I almost threw out my back picking up the box it is so heavy. :smile:

20220806_134055.jpg

I just started burning it in with the stock tubes, and I am definitely getting some tube noise with my VC's, but I was already expecting this from past experiences with cheap new production tubes, so not really a concern. I am really looking forward to rolling in some better tubes once it's burned-in, and this amp looks gorgeous! More to come. . .

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #1,984 of 6,287
HA300mk2 is in the house, and this amp is a beast in sound, size and weight. I almost threw out my back picking up the box it is so heavy. :smile:

I just started burning it in with the stock tubes, and I am definitely getting some tube noise with my VC's, but I was expecting this from the cheap new production tubes, and I am really looking forward to rolling in some better tubes once it's burned-in. This amp is flat out looks gorgeous! More to come. . .
Have fun! looking forward to your tube rolling adventures with it.

I am currently enjoying my ken-rads in the meanwhile :)

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #1,985 of 6,287

Nice! I have a NOS pair of Ken-Rad VT231 Black Glass ready to roll once the amp is burned in, and I can't wait.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #1,986 of 6,287
Curious if anyone knows, if 12AU7's with correct adapter (converts it to 6.3v) can be used instead of the 6SN7's? I know these 2 tube types are often interchangeable with the correct adapter, and I just wanted to confirm it's ok in the HA300mk2.
I am curious also. I have mullard CV4003 that I love. Please post it here if you can find those converters.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #1,987 of 6,287

What are yout thoughts Ken Rads with HA300-MK2 and Susvara? Try em with male vocals.😉

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #1,988 of 6,287
What are yout thoughts Ken Rads with HA300-MK2 and Susvara? Try em with male vocals.😉
20220808_092403.jpg

Too many people from too many places rave about the bass for me to not try it... saw a pair of NOS staggered plate variant for auction and I knew I had to get it.

What everyone said about them were true, the vocals and bass on these with the susvara...is truly an experience. I don't know what I was missing until I tried them. The lows and mids are really well defined by these, its a night and day difference compared to the new production chinese tubes I enjoy (I still like them, but I am now certain they cannot hold a candle against the ken-rads). Overall I am pleased to be shocked at how good these are. As expected the susvara and hek does not get any hum from these, but an added additional benefit I got was the HD600 having less hum than my other old production tubes

I am currently trying to get a pair of vintage original construction MELZ 1578 and a pair of RCA VT-231 based on earlier reviews. If what others say about them is as true as what was said for the ken-rads, I would be eagerly waiting for them.

After those, I am seriously considering getting a backup pair of ken-rad vt-231, before prices get even more out of control. 300b rolling gets pushed back further and further!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #1,989 of 6,287
It look great and I'm still struggling because the noice of tube and hum keep coming up from the user reviews.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #1,990 of 6,287
Hi all! I am about to pull the trigger on this amp. The one thing holding me back is that I mainly listen to metal and hard rock (Avatar, in flames, five fingers, periphery, polyphia etc etc) and the only review about it says "sub bass" light (ok, slightly). So, I don't want an omnipresent sub bass if the songs doesn't call for it, but I do want to hear that "enveloping" effect of having a good sub bass supporting the song when this is present. E.g. I have both ebony verite open and lcd-x 2021 and, despite the mid bass bump of VO with univ leather pads, I feel the flat but more extended lcd-x is more wrapping me into the music, while VO is more drilling the music in me. So, to those who owns this amp, do you feel you are missing something (let's say compared to what envy seems to be), maybe even as a trade off, or simply this is not a thing at all? Please note that I am not really a tube roller and it would be ok to do a single targeted swap, but not a long expensive search for a certain sound quality. Thanks for any input that will come!

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #1,991 of 6,287
Hi all! I am about to pull the trigger on this amp. The one thing holding me back is that I mainly listen to metal and hard rock (Avatar, in flames, five fingers, periphery, polyphia etc etc) and the only review about it says "sub bass" light (ok, slightly). So, I don't want an omnipresent sub bass if the songs doesn't call for it, but I do want to hear that "enveloping" effect of having a good sub bass supporting the song when this is present. E.g. I have both ebony verite open and lcd-x 2021 and, despite the mid bass bump of VO with univ leather pads, I feel the flat but more extended lcd-x is more wrapping me into the music, while VO is more drilling the music in me. So, to those who owns this amp, do you feel you are missing something (let's say compared to what envy seems to be), maybe even as a trade off, or simply this is not a thing at all? Please note that I am not really a tube roller and it would be ok to do a single targeted swap, but not a long expensive search for a certain sound quality. Thanks for any input that will come!
I don't think that it is a big deal, even if there is a slight subbass rolloff it's very minor.

You probably could also counter it by using well extended tubes like Elrog or KR Audio, however these cost so much that you could also go for the Envy at the same expense.

I'd consider it only a hindrance if your main music Genre would be Dubstep or something subbass focused.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #1,992 of 6,287
I am curious also. I have mullard CV4003 that I love. Please post it here if you can find those converters.
I asked Cayin tech support, and they replied back saying it is not recommended, as the 12AU7 doesn't allow the HA300mk2 to run in it's optimal state.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #1,993 of 6,287

Too many people from too many places rave about the bass for me to not try it... saw a pair of NOS staggered plate variant for auction and I knew I had to get it.

What everyone said about them were true, the vocals and bass on these with the susvara...is truly an experience. I don't know what I was missing until I tried them. The lows and mids are really well defined by these, its a night and day difference compared to the new production chinese tubes I enjoy (I still like them, but I am now certain they cannot hold a candle against the ken-rads). Overall I am pleased to be shocked at how good these are. As expected the susvara and hek does not get any hum from these, but an added additional benefit I got was the HD600 having less hum than my other old production tubes

I am currently trying to get a pair of vintage original construction MELZ 1578 and a pair of RCA VT-231 based on earlier reviews. If what others say about them is as true as what was said for the ken-rads, I would be eagerly waiting for them.

After those, I am seriously considering getting a backup pair of ken-rad vt-231, before prices get even more out of control. 300b rolling gets pushed back further and further!
I concur on the Ken-Rad VT231 Black Glass, as they are a big step up from the stock new production Tung Sols. I was getting annoyed with the noisy stock tubes while burning in the amp, so decided to roll one of my very early pairs (first version tall bottles with metal mica clips from 43'), and they are singing.

I also have a pair of Elrog ER 300B on the way as well, and should really have my HA300mk2 strutting it's stuff in full effect very soon. . .

20220807_153421.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #1,994 of 6,287
I wouldn't worry about it one bit with the HA300mk2. It may not dig as deep and slam quite like a SS or SS rectified amp, but it still slams and goes plenty deep. There is also a really good middbass punch and texture that is very satisfying, but not overdone at all. I listen to a lot of Electronica and bass driven music (I am a basshead at heart), and the HA300mk2 has been very satisfying in that area. The mids are obviously the star of the show with a classic sounding SET amp, but the Cayin has some serious power on tap as well, and has a very explosive sound surely to satisfy a metal/hard rock fan.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #1,995 of 6,287
I concur on the Ken-Rad VT231 Black Glass, as they are a big step up from the stock new production Tung Sols. I was getting annoyed with the noisy stock tubes while burning in the amp, so decided to roll one of my very early pairs (first version tall bottles with metal mica clips from 43'), and they are singing.

I also have a pair of Erlog ER 300B on the way as well, and should really have my HA300mk2 strutting it's stuff in full effect very soon. . .

20220807_153421.jpg
20220713_111811.jpg

Can't wait to hear your impressions with Elrog 300B. You order the ER300B- Mo ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back