Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #931 of 6,244
Not anything "missing" per se with the 845. It is an impressive headphone amp to be sure, but a bit overpowered for sensitive headphones and there is a little bit of buzz when using those. I bought the 845 to use with my Susvara, LCD-4, and soon Abyss Phi TC. But I was also interested in what a 300b-based tube amp sounded like, hence the HA-300. Plus, the 845 does draw a lot of power, 300W+, and of course generates a commensurate amount of heat (fortunately, the weather is very moderate almost all year here).

How does the Susvara sound on the HA-300? I've heard the LCD-4 on mine, and while I love it, the soundstage especially the vocal is just a bit more intimate and closed in vs my LCD-3. So even though I may lose a bit more purity and transient speed, tonality and soundstage wise I prefer my LCD-3 over the LCD-4.

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #932 of 6,244
I gave this some hard thinking - but I have not seen a more impressive desktop-setup anywhere yet. Congratulations! However - A tube-amp to go with the Pass SS = sure. But - what is that truly impressive 845 Viva amp missing that got you to go for the 300b Cayin?
I had a closer look and it looks like there's a Luxman P-750u, maybe a Denafrips Terminator on top of it, and another big bottle tube amp on the other side.

It is quite the collection, and fronted by the HOLO May DAC, it looks like.

But with all those amps, @donato , how do you feed them without constant disconnecting and connecting cables? I still haven't found a good/highend preamp that has say 2 inputs & 5 outputs.

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #933 of 6,244
How does the Susvara sound on the HA-300? I've heard the LCD-4 on mine, and while I love it, the soundstage especially the vocal is just a bit more intimate and closed in vs my LCD-3. So even though I may lose a bit more purity and transient speed, tonality and soundstage wise I prefer my LCD-3 over the LCD-4.
Do you mean you prefer the LCD-3F over the LCD-4 on the HA-300, or in total?

Have you ever tried the LCD-3C?

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #934 of 6,244
Just some day 1 thoughts and musings:

First off, I love the build quality and the aesthetic works for me. I previously owned a Primaluna amp and my understanding is that these were (at least at one time) built in the same factory. The paint finish reminds of the Primaluna. I like the thick solid front faceplate with the cutout. The Cayin nameplate is a littly blingy but I have something similar on my Luxman, so sure why not. The umbilical cord is impressively substantial and gives a very solid industrial aesthetic. The switches can seem a little insubstantial next to all the rest of the build. VU meters are fun retro touch. Using an orange light is a good match I suppose for a tube amp since some of the light comes up through the driver tube sockets and at least it kind of matches tube glow.

it's interesting to hear the these 300b tubes warm up, with all the pinging they do. It kind of makes me think of the old radiators in grade school that would clang, but this is much more musical sounding :)

I did most of my listening with the stock tubes, but I briefly do some rolling. The first thing that came across to me was the soundstaging and how expansive it was. The second was that there was a bit of extra warmth in the bass, which could be quite pleasing in many cases, but a bit too much on some tracks that already had some prominent bass.

I know there have been discussions in the past about the XLR vs. RCA inputs and that the XLR input will go through a transformer to convert the signal to single ended. The purist in me wants to just use RCA and bypass addition al component, but reality is not so cut and dried. For one, it depends on the quality of the respective outputs on your source component; some DACs are know for having one output better than the other (e.g. Yggy is supposed to have much better balanced output) so it would clearly make sense to use whichever was better from your source. In my case, I am using a Holo May DAC which has separate circuitry to power the single ended and balanced outputs. I also had sets of same length Norne Silvergarde S4 interconnects in both RCA and XLR. I could flip back and forth between RCA and XLR inputs. Obviously, there is a volume difference so I had to compensate by adjusting the volume. This brings me a bit to the stepped attenuator. I believe it's 24 steps and from reading earlier posts, there was also a design compromise to balance the gain between steps to handle HP volume changes as well as speaker output volume changes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes there were more steps or it was a non-stepped attenuator, but undoubtedly there are always cost/performance tradeoffs. Because of the jumps in the stepped attenuator, I wasn't able to quite level match between the two inputs since it seems to be somewhere in between the gain of 2 and 3 steps of adjustment (and it's tricky to do anyway). All of that being said, I didn't find a significant difference between the two inputs. So my recommendation would be use whichever is the best output your source has. The only other potential consideration is the additional gain the XLR input provides. If you need more gain, than XLR might be beneficial; if you want finer control between steps in adjustment, then go with RCA inputs. I did have some potential concerns that since my DAC (and I know others e.g. DAVE) run much higher output levels than standard and whether or not that could overload/saturate the input transformer, but again, I didn't find anything that concerned me.

I know this was noted in previous discussions, but I don't recall the explanations for this, but maybe someone can clarify regarding he power output from the various outputs with the different impedance settings is curious to me. The amp outputs 1.8W/2.2W/3.7W on balanced, 1.1W/2.4W/5.0W single ended for the L/M/H impedance settings. Why does the single ended have higher output power on M and H compared to balanced and why is it so much lower on single ended? Any why is the speaker output able to do 8W? I assume this all has to do with how the various taps are coming off of the output transformer, but it makes me wonder what compromises there are with such a discrepancy between single ended and balanced output and both those vs. the speaker output. personally, I don't have a use case for speaker outputs (although I can certainly understand if others do), so my personal preference would have been to just be a pure HP amp focused on optimizing that performance (e.g. the Viva is unapologetically a headphone amp only). Although I certainly can't blame Cayin for including that feature because there are no doubt plenty who would be unhappy if that option hadn't been there. But again, I still wonder about some of the compromised that might have been involved (e.g. stepped attenuator is another).

As far as tube rolling went. I did mention that I found the stock WE6SN7 tubes seem to have a bit of extra warmth in the bass (and possibly some rolloff). As a couple examples, in Girl from Ipanema which seems to be recorded a bit thick to begin with this began very thick. Similarly with Holly Cole's Tempatation, bass would get a bit thick. I tried switching in some Melz 1578 (appear to be 1979 vintage) that I also purchased from Level5. this seemed to tame that added warmth a bit and perhaps provide a little bit more subbass extenstion, but I really need to test out. These tubes seem to sputter a bit so these may have to go back. I also briefly tried some TS BGRP 6f8g via adapter, but to briefly to have an opinion. I have a pretty decent collection of 6sn7 so I'll have some fun rolling.

I'm very interested in tube rolling the 300b tube. In my Viva, I'm using a PsVane ACME which I like a lot (only tried the stock and a Psvane Treasure Mk. II) and I know others have posted the 300b is quite good. Someone mentioned to me that Torq likes the Western Electric 300b new production, but it doesn't seem like anyone on this thread has posted about it. If you have used that, I'd be interested. Elrog would also be on my list, but I read that they can be a bit analytical, which is probably not what I'm looking for. In any case, I'd love to hear some recommendations.

Regarding rectifier tubes, I know rolling those have been briefly discussed and I'm probably not that interested in rolling those, but how do you know when to replace them? Is it only when they fail or is there some other indicator? Do you replace them in pairs (and which way left/right or front/back together) or as a quad?

@jambaj0e as to your questions about LCD-4 and Susvara, I thought the LCD-4 worked fine and sounded quite good, but the bass was probably still a bit loose compared to SS or more power amps (e.g. Viva), but I need to do more listening, but again, still very enjoyable. Note that I use oratory EQ which also has a -8.3db level compensation, but it still did fine. I did not think the Susvara sounded very good. It could sound quite congested and the bass became a bit wooly and thumpy. This was one of the primary reasons I bought the Viva because it was one of the few SET amps that could drive the Susvara adequately. I used XLR input to maximize gain and tried both RCA and XLR out as well as the different impedance settings. I also noticed that even at moderate volume the VU meters were pretty much pegged at 100. I don't think this is a good pairing. However, with the HEK SE which has very moderate power requirements, I thought this was a very enjoyable combination - plus the soundstaging ability of the HEK SE with the amp made for a nice combination.

in any case, that's probably enough for day 1, lol.

Info on my setup:
Roon (local files, Tidal, Qobuz) -> HQPlayer (sinc-M upsampling up to 768K, sinc-M, LNS15) -> Sonore UltraRendu -> May DAC (NOS mode)
Headphones primarily used: LCD-4 (EQ'd to oratory settings) and Norne Silvergarde S3, Susvara (with Dekoni FSS pads) Norne Vykari, HEK SE with Norne Silvergarde S3

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #935 of 6,244
I had a closer look and it looks like there's a Luxman P-750u, maybe a Denafrips Terminator on top of it, and another big bottle tube amp on the other side.

It is quite the collection, and fronted by the HOLO May DAC, it looks like.

But with all those amps, @donato , how do you feed them without constant disconnecting and connecting cables? I still haven't found a good/highend preamp that has say 2 inputs & 5 outputs.

Yes, Luxman P-750u (good eye!). On top of that, it's a Pass XP12 preamp and further below I have a Pass XA25 amp that I use with speaker taps. I bought almost all of this during the pandemic. I've been working from home/remote even before the pandemic so I'm at my desk all the time and then with all the travel plans and dining not happening, I finally just decided to go for it.

Yes, unforunately I do end up having to switch things around manually if I want to use different equipment so I can't really quickly A/B things that way. I mentioned that I have a May DAC which has solid outputs for both the RCA and XLR (i.e. separate circuitry to power) so I can normally have at least 2 things connected full time. I've thought about daisy chaining things (e.g. Pass preamp has HT bypass mode, etc.), but just trying to keep simple. And really, comparing gear is kind of tedious so when I do listening, I'll primarily just use one setup. I used to switch things around a lot more in the past, but then I'd have a setting wrong or whatever so I've been trying to keep listening sessions simple and just enjoy the music.

FRl2YGx.jpg

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #936 of 6,244
Do you mean you prefer the LCD-3F over the LCD-4 on the HA-300, or in total?

Have you ever tried the LCD-3C?

Oh yes, the my LCD-3F vs my friend's LCD-4. I preferred the soundstage and tonality of my LCD-3F over the LCD-4. And do you mean the LCD-2C or LCD-XC? I had listened to the LCD-X on my HA-300, and I feel the LCD-3F sounded better, too.

I think in the Audeze line, I'll wait for the LCD-5, lol. I do really want to listen to the upper echelon of ZMFs, as well as the Final Audio 8000 Pro, T+A headphones, and the Abyss Phi TC

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #937 of 6,244
Oh yes, the my LCD-3F vs my friend's LCD-4. I preferred the soundstage and tonality of my LCD-3F over the LCD-4. And do you mean the LCD-2C or LCD-XC? I had listened to the LCD-X on my HA-300, and I feel the LCD-3F sounded better, too.

I think in the Audeze line, I'll wait for the LCD-5, lol. I do really want to listen to the upper echelon of ZMFs, as well as the Final Audio 8000 Pro, T+A headphones, and the Abyss Phi TC
That's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing about the 3F vs. 4.

And naw, I did in fact mean the 3C, which is the "unofficial" name for the "Classic", non-fazor version of the LCD-3 that came out first. I'm not sure, but I think the 3F is also an unofficial name for the latter razor version. I -think- they're both officially just called LCD-3 and then the non-fazor vs. fazor is just a spec. Kinda like the updated LCD-4s when they changed the impedance of the drivers from like 200-Ohm to 100/120-Ohm.

LCD-5s, they've, they've got to be in the works, eh? I found the full-size, over-ear headphone scene was going gangbusters there for a few years, but the new model release seems to have hit a lull from all the big players the past 2-3 years. It's got to be a calm before the storm...

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #938 of 6,244
Yes, Luxman P-750u (good eye!). On top of that, it's a Pass XP12 preamp and further below I have a Pass XA25 amp that I use with speaker taps. I bought almost all of this during the pandemic. I've been working from home/remote even before the pandemic so I'm at my desk all the time and then with all the travel plans and dining not happening, I finally just decided to go for it.

Yes, unforunately I do end up having to switch things around manually if I want to use different equipment so I can't really quickly A/B things that way. I mentioned that I have a May DAC which has solid outputs for both the RCA and XLR (i.e. separate circuitry to power) so I can normally have at least 2 things connected full time. I've thought about daisy chaining things (e.g. Pass preamp has HT bypass mode, etc.), but just trying to keep simple. And really, comparing gear is kind of tedious so when I do listening, I'll primarily just use one setup. I used to switch things around a lot more in the past, but then I'd have a setting wrong or whatever so I've been trying to keep listening sessions simple and just enjoy the music.

FRl2YGx.jpg
Nice gear! Even a Pass XP12 pre!

And what I meant about the cables wasn't for comparison purposes, it was just for regular listening. I also have ~5-6 amps, 4-5 headphones, and 1 main DAC, and it literally drives me up the wall to keep unplugging and plugging cables when I want to listen to the desired pairing.

I hunted for a "modern" preamp that had 1-2 XLR ins + 5-6 XLR outs, but I eventually gave up and started down the custom path because there aren't any nice ones out there. The closest I could find were more like pro audio switching boxes, but even then it wasn't that easy to find one that had the I/O I needed.

So haha, I was just kinda fishing to see if you might have an answer to that. Too bad, my custom journey continues. That one is a thorn in my foot, but I can't live with the unplugging and plugging cables thing for the rest of my life.

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #939 of 6,244
Question for those with the HA-300, I tried it multiple times with several headphones, it pair really well with some of my favorite headphone, and I’m thinking of getting one, just a matter of timing.

I also have a large collection of IEMs, HA300 seems already too powerful that the like of Focal dynamic headphone is almost too sensitive for it, would it be possible to use HA300 with IEMs? Has anyone tried?

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #940 of 6,244
Nice gear! Even a Pass XP12 pre!

And what I meant about the cables wasn't for comparison purposes, it was just for regular listening. I also have ~5-6 amps, 4-5 headphones, and 1 main DAC, and it literally drives me up the wall to keep unplugging and plugging cables when I want to listen to the desired pairing.

I hunted for a "modern" preamp that had 1-2 XLR ins + 5-6 XLR outs, but I eventually gave up and started down the custom path because there aren't any nice ones out there. The closest I could find were more like pro audio switching boxes, but even then it wasn't that easy to find one that had the I/O I needed.

So haha, I was just kinda fishing to see if you might have an answer to that. Too bad, my custom journey continues. That one is a thorn in my foot, but I can't live with the unplugging and plugging cables thing for the rest of my life.

I always worry about additional equipment and cables degrading the sound (although most of the time it's probably irrelevant). I wonder if there are some passives that might give you some of that switching (multiple output capability). I could have sworn I saw some.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #941 of 6,244

First off, I love the build quality and the aesthetic works for me. I previously owned a Primaluna amp and my understanding is that these were (at least at one time) built in the same factory. The paint finish reminds of the Primaluna. I like the thick solid front faceplate with the cutout. The Cayin nameplate is a littly blingy but I have something similar on my Luxman, so sure why not. The umbilical cord is impressively substantial and gives a very solid industrial aesthetic. The switches can seem a little insubstantial next to all the rest of the build. VU meters are fun retro touch. Using an orange light is a good match I suppose for a tube amp since some of the light comes up through the driver tube sockets and at least it kind of matches tube glow.

it's interesting to hear the these 300b tubes warm up, with all the pinging they do. It kind of makes me think of the old radiators in grade school that would clang, but this is much more musical sounding :)

I did most of my listening with the stock tubes, but I briefly do some rolling. The first thing that came across to me was the soundstaging and how expansive it was. The second was that there was a bit of extra warmth in the bass, which could be quite pleasing in many cases, but a bit too much on some tracks that already had some prominent bass.

I know there have been discussions in the past about the XLR vs. RCA inputs and that the XLR input will go through a transformer to convert the signal to single ended. The purist in me wants to just use RCA and bypass addition al component, but reality is not so cut and dried. For one, it depends on the quality of the respective outputs on your source component; some DACs are know for having one output better than the other (e.g. Yggy is supposed to have much better balanced output) so it would clearly make sense to use whichever was better from your source. In my case, I am using a Holo May DAC which has separate circuitry to power the single ended and balanced outputs. I also had sets of same length Norne Silvergarde S4 interconnects in both RCA and XLR. I could flip back and forth between RCA and XLR inputs. Obviously, there is a volume difference so I had to compensate by adjusting the volume. This brings me a bit to the stepped attenuator. I believe it's 24 steps and from reading earlier posts, there was also a design compromise to balance the gain between steps to handle HP volume changes as well as speaker output volume changes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes there were more steps or it was a non-stepped attenuator, but undoubtedly there are always cost/performance tradeoffs. Because of the jumps in the stepped attenuator, I wasn't able to quite level match between the two inputs since it seems to be somewhere in between the gain of 2 and 3 steps of adjustment (and it's tricky to do anyway). All of that being said, I didn't find a significant difference between the two inputs. So my recommendation would be use whichever is the best output your source has. The only other potential consideration is the additional gain the XLR input provides. If you need more gain, than XLR might be beneficial; if you want finer control between steps in adjustment, then go with RCA inputs. I did have some potential concerns that since my DAC (and I know others e.g. DAVE) run much higher output levels than standard and whether or not that could overload/saturate the input transformer, but again, I didn't find anything that concerned me.

I know this was noted in previous discussions, but I don't recall the explanations for this, but maybe someone can clarify regarding he power output from the various outputs with the different impedance settings is curious to me. The amp outputs 1.8W/2.2W/3.7W on balanced, 1.1W/2.4W/5.0W single ended for the L/M/H impedance settings. Why does the single ended have higher output power on M and H compared to balanced and why is it so much lower on single ended? Any why is the speaker output able to do 8W? I assume this all has to do with how the various taps are coming off of the output transformer, but it makes me wonder what compromises there are with such a discrepancy between single ended and balanced output and both those vs. the speaker output. personally, I don't have a use case for speaker outputs (although I can certainly understand if others do), so my personal preference would have been to just be a pure HP amp focused on optimizing that performance (e.g. the Viva is unapologetically a headphone amp only). Although I certainly can't blame Cayin for including that feature because there are no doubt plenty who would be unhappy if that option hadn't been there. But again, I still wonder about some of the compromised that might have been involved (e.g. stepped attenuator is another).

As far as tube rolling went. I did mention that I found the stock WE6SN7 tubes seem to have a bit of extra warmth in the bass (and possibly some rolloff). As a couple examples, in Girl from Ipanema which seems to be recorded a bit thick to begin with this began very thick. Similarly with Holly Cole's Tempatation, bass would get a bit thick. I tried switching in some Melz 1578 (appear to be 1979 vintage) that I also purchased from Level5. this seemed to tame that added warmth a bit and perhaps provide a little bit more subbass extenstion, but I really need to test out. These tubes seem to sputter a bit so these may have to go back. I also briefly tried some TS BGRP 6as7g via adapter, but to briefly to have an opinion. I have a pretty decent collection of 6sn7 so I'll have some fun rolling.

I'm very interested in tube rolling the 300b tube. In my Viva, I'm using a PsVane ACME which I like a lot (only tried the stock and a Psvane Treasure Mk. II) and I know others have posted the 300b is quite good. Someone mentioned to me that Torq likes the Western Electric 300b new production, but it doesn't seem like anyone on this thread has posted about it. If you have used that, I'd be interested. Elrog would also be on my list, but I read that they can be a bit analytical, which is probably not what I'm looking for. In any case, I'd love to hear some recommendations.

Regarding rectifier tubes, I know rolling those have been briefly discussed and I'm probably not that interested in rolling those, but how do you know when to replace them? Is it only when they fail or is there some other indicator? Do you replace them in pairs (and which way left/right or front/back together) or as a quad?

@jambaj0e as to your questions about LCD-4 and Susvara, I thought the LCD-4 worked fine and sounded quite good, but the bass was probably still a bit loose compared to SS or more power amps (e.g. Viva), but I need to do more listening, but again, still very enjoyable. Note that I use oratory EQ which also has a -8.3db level compensation, but it still did fine. I did not think the Susvara sounded very good. It could sound quite congested and the bass became a bit wooly and thumpy. This was one of the primary reasons I bought the Viva because it was one of the few SET amps that could drive the Susvara adequately. I used XLR input to maximize gain and tried both RCA and XLR out as well as the different impedance settings. I also noticed that even at moderate volume the VU meters were pretty much pegged at 100. I don't think this is a good pairing. However, with the HEK SE which has very moderate power requirements, I thought this was a very enjoyable combination - plus the soundstaging ability of the HEK SE with the amp made for a nice combination.

Info on my setup:
Roon (local files, Tidal, Qobuz) -> HQPlayer (sinc-M upsampling up to 768K, sinc-M, LNS15) -> Sonore UltraRendu -> May DAC (NOS mode)
Headphones primarily used: LCD-4 (EQ'd to oratory settings) and Norne Silvergarde S3, Susvara (with Dekoni FSS pads) Norne Vykari, HEK SE with Norne Silvergarde S3
I got a new pair of Elrog 300Bs, but just after that I learned that they've got new set called 300B-Mo with a thoriated tungsten filament and a Molybdenum Plate. They're quite a bit more expensive than the standard version, which go for about $1200 USD new for a matched pair.

However, unfortunately due to covid my tubes are stuck at my parents house on the other side of the world and I won't risk shipping them here, so I can't share any feedback on how they sound.

As for the pairing, the experience you had with the Susvaras might be the kind of demand for a more dynamic tube like the Elrogs, or even like the hotter EML 300B-XLS?

I'd like to try the Pavane ACMEs, then there's also the newcomer Linlai, from some old Pavane engineers.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #942 of 6,244
I always worry about additional equipment and cables degrading the sound (although most of the time it's probably irrelevant). I wonder if there are some passives that might give you some of that switching (multiple output capability). I could have sworn I saw some.
As I went down this road, the issue with totally passive preamps is that the outputs are all seen by the input, i.e. the DAC. So the risk is that the the sum of all the loads and impedances will become too little, then ruin the damping factor, and then the sound quality will deteriorate. It could be fine, but then it limits the functionality of the preamp because you need to watch out wgat the specs are of the gear you're connecting to it are.

Passive preamps aren't a free lunch, unfortunately. I have an AVC preamp now by Bent Audio, but I'm working on rebuilding the I/O with input and output buffers to mitigate the total impedance issue.

You could take care of that with a relay switch on the outputs, since most of us are only looking for 1-2 outputs at a time, but then it does add another connection inline. The only nice relay switches like that that I know of are quite out reach of the one-off scene.

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #943 of 6,244

As far as tube rolling went. I did mention that I found the stock WE6SN7 tubes seem to have a bit of extra warmth in the bass (and possibly some rolloff). As a couple examples, in Girl from Ipanema which seems to be recorded a bit thick to begin with this began very thick. Similarly with Holly Cole's Tempatation, bass would get a bit thick. I tried switching in some Melz 1578 (appear to be 1979 vintage) that I also purchased from Level5. this seemed to tame that added warmth a bit and perhaps provide a little bit more subbass extenstion, but I really need to test out. These tubes seem to sputter a bit so these may have to go back. I also briefly tried some TS BGRP 6f8g via adapter, but to briefly to have an opinion. I have a pretty decent collection of 6sn7 so I'll have some fun rolling.

Info on my setup:

So excited to have a senior HeadFi members onboard with HA-300. Your system is jaw-dropping, and you can describe sound in great detail, that is a very good start for fruitful exchanges and interaction.

The Speaker output is 8 watt per channel at 8 ohm, the much lower impedance loading changed the output rating.

We design and wind the output transformer in-house, so we have total control on the wire used in different layer and the wiring instruction were developed by our R&D department specifically. Since the speaker and headphone output are independent taps from output transformer, they have their own wiring requirement and don't affect each other, and we don't need to compromise the headphone output because of inclusion of speaker terminals.

The stepped attenuator is a custom make components, the setting of steps have to take care of both speaker and headphone applications, and this indeed is a compromise to certain extend. The 24 volume steps are generally adequate for different headphones we tired, but if you need to perform volume matching to, for example, within 1dB range, we need a lot more than 24 steps to do that correctly.

I was surprised by the power rating figures when I received the specification form R&D Engineer and I asked the same question. They explained how they wind the output transformer to achieve different impedance and resulted in the output rating, I couldn't understand the technical detail but form what I gathered, the single-end and balanced output are fairly independent form each other, so the output rating are not directly corelated to each other. Sorry for unable to provide more detail on this subject.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #944 of 6,244
Question for those with the HA-300, I tried it multiple times with several headphones, it pair really well with some of my favorite headphone, and I’m thinking of getting one, just a matter of timing.

I also have a large collection of IEMs, HA300 seems already too powerful that the like of Focal dynamic headphone is almost too sensitive for it, would it be possible to use HA300 with IEMs? Has anyone tried?

I have tried, but only a small proportion of IEMs are feasible, my UERM is rated at 50ohm and that is barely OK. Multi-BA at 16 Ohm or below is unlikely to work. Pure Dynamic IEMs has a slightly higher chance than Hybrid and Multi-BA in my experience.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #945 of 6,244
So excited to have a senior HeadFi members onboard with HA-300. Your system is jaw-dropping, and you can describe sound in great detail, that is a very good start for fruitful exchanges and interaction.

The Speaker output is 8 watt per channel at 8 ohm, the much lower impedance loading changed the output rating.

We design and wind the output transformer in-house, so we have total control on the wire used in different layer and the wiring instruction were developed by our R&D department specifically. Since the speaker and headphone output are independent taps from output transformer, they have their own wiring requirement and don't affect each other, and we don't need to compromise the headphone output because of inclusion of speaker terminals.

The stepped attenuator is a custom make components, the setting of steps have to take care of both speaker and headphone applications, and this indeed is a compromise to certain extend. The 24 volume steps are generally adequate for different headphones we tired, but if you need to perform volume matching to, for example, within 1dB range, we need a lot more than 24 steps to do that correctly.

I was surprised by the power rating figures when I received the specification form R&D Engineer and I asked the same question. They explained how they wind the output transformer to achieve different impedance and resulted in the output rating, I couldn't understand the technical detail but form what I gathered, the single-end and balanced output are fairly independent form each other, so the output rating are not directly corelated to each other. Sorry for unable to provide more detail on this subject.

@Andykong thanks for taking time to read my post and to respond to my questons. I'm really enjoying this amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back