Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jun 7, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #286 of 6,317
I know people listen at different volume level, but I noticed in a couple of reviews that it was mentioned that they didn't have much play in the volume knob as it was very loud even set at the first two clicks or so.

I'm using the Empyrean headphones with a Metrum Pavane DAC which outputs 4 volts. My XLR interconnects have a switch to match the impedance to the amp. While listening, the volume knob on the amp is usually between 11:00 - 12:00.

This would seem pretty normal to me but after seeing those reviews, I'm wondering if my amp is functioning properly.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 7, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #287 of 6,317
I know people listen at different volume level, but I noticed in a couple of reviews that it was mentioned that they didn't have much play in the volume knob as it was very loud even set at the first two clicks or so.

I'm using the Empyrean headphones with a Metrum Pavane DAC which outputs 4 volts. My XLR interconnects have a switch to match the impedance to the amp. While listening, the volume knob on the amp is usually between 11:00 - 12:00.

This would seem pretty normal to me but after seeing those reviews, I'm wondering if my amp is functioning properly.

Thanks in advance.

That is typically were my volume knob is, M1060, Elex, 58XX, MrSpeaker Alpha Prime need a little more.

Jun 7, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #288 of 6,317

Thanks in advance.

Utopias are around 10-11 for me as well. Auteur about the same as far as i can remember before selling them.

RCA from a Qutest as my DAC. They’re around 1-3 oclock with my speakers which are the Tekton Impact Monitors. :)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #291 of 6,317
I developed a tizz/buzz noise. I’m not sure where if it is coming from the power supply or the amp self. You’re starting after I replace the driver tubes with a pair of older Tung Sol 6SN7GT tubes I don’t hear it through the headphones though.

I put back the original stock driver tubes, and ithr noise is still there. Any ideas what this is and there’s any issue with the amp now?

Jun 19, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #294 of 6,317
I would like to use my preamp, the Rogue Audio RP-7, as the source input to the HA-300. I want to avoid having to physically swap interconnects on my DAC every time I switch between using the HA-300 and my power amp. The preamp allows me to switch between outputs at the push of a button. Before I try this, would like to find out whether it is safe to do so given that the RP-7 has quite a lot of gain (20db via XLR). Would there be issues (safety or otherwise) with connecting my preamp to the HA-300?

To help, these are the specs for the RP-7:
- Tube complement: 4 x 12AU7/ECC82 tubes
- Frequency response: 1Hz – 100KHz +/- 1 dB
- THD: <0.1%
- Gain line stage: 14 dB (20dB XLR)
- Rated output: 1V
- Maximum output: 30V
- Output impedance: <10 Ohms

Appreciate any advice I can get on this.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #295 of 6,317
I have noticed when changing from low, mid and high impedance I hear a difference between low and mid but not mid to high, can anyone else comment on this?

Jun 19, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #296 of 6,317
I have noticed when changing from low, mid and high impedance I hear a difference between low and mid but not mid to high, can anyone else comment on this?
Depends on the impedance response curve for your cans.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #297 of 6,317
I am a newbie, especially for tube amp. I noticed that 22DE4 rectifier tubes are no longer in production. Where could I find the 22DE4 tubes in case I would like to roll up or else ? I tried Google and eBay, but there are not many 22DE4 tubes out there. Also there is no alternate rectifier tube options per HA-300 manual.

Jun 20, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #298 of 6,317
Jun 28, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #299 of 6,317
I tried HA-300 with my Ether2 at authorized shop yesterday. Unluckily, my iPhone could not connect to shop's DAC so I just listened to shop's cd, which are vocal audiophiles and instrumental. It was the first time I heard music from tube amp. The vocal is sweet like next to my ears. The instruments has layer and dimensions. I like it a lot. However, I normally listen to most kinds of music, like R&B, Jazz, Pop, Acoustics, Pop dance ( Michael Jackson : Dangerous / Thriller ) , and Rock ( AC/DC ) . I have no idea how HA-300 will perform with fast-tempo songs like Pop dance and Rock. Most friends of mine said that the sound should be sluggish and unpleasant. To all HA-300 owners, please comments. Thank you.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #300 of 6,317
I find it works well for all of the music genres I listen too, house, rock, electronic, DISCO! The HA-300 has the extra voltage/wattage to carry the high demands of bass heavy music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back