Cayin HA-1A as Pre-amp
Jun 11, 2008 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gz76

1000+ Head-Fier
So this one is for all you HA-1A owners. Just wondering how many of you have tried using it as a pre-amp in a speaker rig?

I thought I'd give this a go the other day, so I swapped out my HP100 in my Stello rig at the office (DA100 > HP100 > S100 > Xsymphony Hybrid Bi-Wire SC > Quad 12L LE) and put it through it's paces. Now usually this Stello combination is very tight and controlled, really excelling with imaging and grabbing the Quads drivers and hanging onto them from top to bottom. I must say I was quite disappointed tho once I fired up the HA-1A. Bottom end suddenly became a mess, and things got way too warm and wooly. The sound-stage also got rather flat and lacked any of its previous three dimensionality. Top end seemed to roll off more than it ever does through headphones too.

Now I usually use the HA-1A with headphones only, and have always been more than impressed with the performance it turns out, so this really took me by surprise. Maybe it's just bad synergy? I don't know much about the circuit topology of this amp... does something change when it's used as a preamp? Anyway, I thought the easiest way to get to the bottom of this might be to get opinions from others on how this usually outstanding headphone amp performs as a pre-amp in your rig, or maybe someone knows something about the pre-amp circuit? Maybe a valve upgrade is in order? Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 10
ha-1a is more like headphone amp coming with a pre-amp function. i remember playing this amp couple years ago from the shop i used to go a lot and it sounded really, really bad. it was one of the reason i didn't get this amp.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Did you replace the stock 12AX7 & 12AU7? Since those are used in the preamp, that might be your answer. I recall using the HA-1A as preamp when I first got it (stock tubes) and it sounded pretty filthy. I've since changed out the tubes, but haven't done any more experimenting.

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 10
dreamwhisper, our sigs think alike

Cayin HA-1A → AKG K240MP, K240DF, K240 Anniversary, K241 or K501

Cayin HA-1A > AKG K340 . AKG K240 Sextett

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you replace the stock 12AX7 & 12AU7? Since those are used in the preamp, that might be your answer.

Nah, I haven't changed anything - still running it stock. I don't see the point in doing so at this stage as I don't intend to use it as a pre-amp. It was just one of those things I thought I'd try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah a tube roll from stock tubes is a must, but perhaps you like the sound of SS better with speakers?

I run valve gear at home to drive my reference system, so I'm quite familiar with how valves sound through loudspeakers. This really was a case of the amp not sounding great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you running it in Triode or Ultra-Linear mode?

Tried both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ha-1a is more like headphone amp coming with a pre-amp function. i remember playing this amp couple years ago from the shop i used to go a lot and it sounded really, really bad. it was one of the reason i didn't get this amp.

It's a shame you had to pass up this amp due to the bad performance of the pre-amp stage (unless this is the primary role you had in mind for it). The HA-1A is an absolutely fantastic headphone amp, and one that those in the know rave about. Unfortunately, it doesn't get talked about enough around here, so most people overlook it.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a shame you had to pass up this amp due to the bad performance of the pre-amp stage (unless this is the primary role you had in mind for it). The HA-1A is an absolutely fantastic headphone amp, and one that those in the know rave about. Unfortunately, it doesn't get talked about enough around here, so most people overlook it.

i know, i was thinking, i wanted to try to find the "perfect" amp that can do both while still affordable. plus i was very new back then and now i know there's no perfect amp/device. now the shop i went doesn't carry the cayin and i know ha-1a sound great with akgs. ugh

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 10
I tried it once with my Sun Audio 2a3 and it sounded HORRIBLE.

Love it as a head-amp (RS-1 + K701) , but it fails when it tries to be pre-amp.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 10
I can buy this over the counter and am considering. Howerver I already hava xvan v3 from musical fidelity, a hybrid tube amp. Does anyone know if the Cayin can be considered an upgrade or would it be more akin to a sidestep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back