Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jun 12, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #4,501 of 6,212
Jun 12, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #4,502 of 6,212
Since we often bring up carrying and storage cases for amps, daps, iems, I figured to share it here. Was just playing with new MITER multi carrying case, at least their stuff is available to buy directly from amazon, and arranged the partitions to fit perfectly Cayin goodies, C9, N6ii, both of their IEMs, IC cables, plus ddhifi adapters. Actually, a nice storage/carrying case, comes with 2 long and 3 short velcro partitions you can arrange into 6 3"x3" sections for iems, or any other DAP/iem combo you want to. In the middle, it has collapsible magnetic stand, and also comes with 2 leather IEM cable straps/organizers. Nice material on outside, some Italian artificial leather.

Can also be useful for C9, N6ii, and N6ii modules :)

miter-multi-case-07.jpgmiter-multi-case-08.jpgmiter-multi-case-03.jpgmiter-multi-case-05.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #4,508 of 6,212
This is unlike anything I’ve experienced before, such a novel feeling on C9! Love this amp.

43276B1D-3D7B-4E26-9A01-750DE8E5D54C.jpeg

9C767857-40CC-4427-A91F-EC86E415B0F7.jpeg

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #4,509 of 6,212
This is unlike anything I’ve experienced before, such a novel feeling on C9! Love this amp.

Have you tried other sources with this combo? Just curious since M8 doesn't have a true LO, so probably contributing to additional coloring of the sound.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #4,511 of 6,212
Have you tried other sources with this combo? Just curious since M8 doesn't have a true LO, so probably contributing to additional coloring of the sound.
I have not, waiting for N6ii to come back from repair. I am eager to try A02 soon.

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #4,512 of 6,212
Received the VE291 C9 carrying case from Vannuys, the final product was slightly larger then their prototype, allowing air to vent out from both side. I have tested the setup with Empyrean, Class AB, Tube, Low Gain, volume at slightly over 1 o'clock. I played 24/96 for an hours, the whole setup is comfortable to wear on jeans, and the C9 is only slightly hotter than putting in its own protective case, roughly 5 degree C higher. I think this is totally acceptable, and it is so much better then putting the whole stack into a backpack. I didn't try Class A mode, the short battery light and extra heat due to the inefficiency of Class A amplification suggested it is not an ideal mode for on-the-go application.

Vannuys with C9 and N6ii.jpg

Vannuys with C9 and N6ii 02.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #4,513 of 6,212
Received the C9 carrying case from Vannuys, the final product was slightly larger then their prototype, allowing air to vent out from both side. I have tested the setup with Empyrean, Class AB, Tube, Low Gain, volume at slightly over 1 o'clock. I played 24/96 for an hours, the whole setup is comfortable to wear on jeans, and the C9 is only slightly hotter than putting in its own protective case, roughly 5 degree C higher. I think this is totally acceptable, and it is so much better then putting the whole stack into a backpack.

Vannuys with C9 and N6ii.jpg

Vannuys with C9 and N6ii 02.jpg
Nice! Thanks for the share. Looks good.

Still trying to figure the best way to ship it from Japan to EU.

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,514 of 6,212
Uhh, I am experiencing a very disconcerting humming issue in my setup consisting of N6ii, C9 and Beyerdynamic Xelento. For now, let me briefly say just this:

1. How it sounds: Like a mains hum, plus sizzling noise when touching any metal cases or the N6ii screen(!). Important to know: No connection whatsoever of any device to any mains wall wart, all on battery. No computer involved. Sounds a bit like what musicians on stage create by touching cable plugs or sockets.

2. I tested a whole bunch of combinations. Single-ended and balanced from N6ii to C9 with the C9 stock cables. Xelento on single-ended and balanced. Switched N6ii modules. Used some old Sony MP3 Walkman earbuds instead of the Xelento. Tested with my Sennheiser HD 800S instead of the Xelento. Brought my Hugo 2 in, too.

I will report on the findings from all that later. As tempting as it might be to describe things now, and as tempted as you might be to ask for specifics, for the time being I‘d like to just ask one question only:

I checked my cables with a multimeter. There is one puzzling finding for the 4.4 mm stock interconnect cable that came with the C9: Out of the five TRRRS connections from one plug to the other one, the S (sleeve) connection has infinite resistance. @Andykong, please, is this correct? There is no sleeve (=ground) wire in that cable? Everything else is 0 Ohms for identical ones TRRR to TRRR, and any two non-identical connections like e.g. T to R correctly show infinite resistance.

Thanks for helping me to clarify this one thing up front. In case that particular cable of mine is good, I will for sure return with more specifics and questions.

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #4,515 of 6,212
Uhh, I am experiencing a very disconcerting humming issue in my setup consisting of N6ii, C9 and Beyerdynamic Xelento. For now, let me briefly say just this:

1. How it sounds: Like a mains hum, plus sizzling noise when touching any metal cases or the N6ii screen(!). Important to know: No connection whatsoever of any device to any mains wall wart, all on battery. No computer involved. Sounds a bit like what musicians on stage create by touching cable plugs or sockets.

2. I tested a whole bunch of combinations. Single-ended and balanced from N6ii to C9 with the C9 stock cables. Xelento on single-ended and balanced. Switched N6ii modules. Used some old Sony MP3 Walkman earbuds instead of the Xelento. Tested with my Sennheiser HD 800S instead of the Xelento. Brought my Hugo 2 in, too.

I will report on the findings from all that later. As tempting as it might be to describe things now, and as tempted as you might be to ask for specifics, for the time being I‘d like to just ask one question only:

I checked my cables with a multimeter. There is one puzzling finding for the 4.4 mm stock interconnect cable that came with the C9: Out of the five TRRRS connections from one plug to the other one, the S (sleeve) connection has infinite resistance. @Andykong, please, is this correct? There is no sleeve (=ground) wire in that cable? Everything else is 0 Ohms for identical ones TRRR to TRRR, and any two non-identical connections like e.g. T to R correctly show infinite resistance.

Thanks for helping me to clarify this one thing up front. In case that particular cable of mine is good, I will for sure return with more specifics and questions.
Yes, the stock balanced short interconnect does not have ground connection. It only have 4 wires, connecting L+, L-, R+, R-, the ground is not connected. I thought we have mentioned this several times in this thread already.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back