Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 21, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #5,956 of 6,249
Modular battery tray - impossible to pull out....
I had some heat and battery issues - Heat seems to be fine as long as I keep it in a well-ventilated area. The battery could be better, so I got new Sony batteries and the modular tray so I can charge one set while playing with another - I removed the screws and tried to pull out the tray - there is no way... like it's not moving at all. Should I get some rubber gloves and start to wiggle and pull until it comes out? Any tips/thoughts?

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #5,957 of 6,249
Modular battery tray - impossible to pull out....
I had some heat and battery issues - Heat seems to be fine as long as I keep it in a well-ventilated area. The battery could be better, so I got new Sony batteries and the modular tray so I can charge one set while playing with another - I removed the screws and tried to pull out the tray - there is no way... like it's not moving at all. Should I get some rubber gloves and start to wiggle and pull until it comes out? Any tips/thoughts?
Try cooling it. Battery expansion is a potential/real problem especially if you leave unit plugged in and rarely remove the battery pack (I have had this happen with laptop batteries). If battery swell is not too bad, cold might shrink the batteries and allow removal (worth a try anyway). I would advise not to FREEZE the unit, not sure what this would do to the tubes - maybe refrigerator temp, ie 35-40 deg F.? @Andykong?

Apr 21, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #5,958 of 6,249
Try cooling it. Battery expansion is a potential/real problem especially if you leave unit plugged in and rarely remove the battery pack (I have had this happen with laptop batteries). If battery swell is not too bad, cold might shrink the batteries and allow removal (worth a try anyway). I would advise not to FREEZE the unit, not sure what this would do to the tubes - maybe refrigerator temp, ie 35-40 deg F.? @Andykong?
Ok that makes sense - I pulled as hard as I could and not even close to moving. Inside it’s 70 degrees or so. But getting it to 35 or something would make sense

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #5,959 of 6,249
Ok that makes sense - I pulled as hard as I could and not even close to moving. Inside it’s 70 degrees or so. But getting it to 35 or something would make sense
Thinking about you over the weekend. Any success yet? If not, I suggest to contact Cayin support at service@cayin.cn If your unit is out of warranty, they may have some suggestions for you to help you get the tray out. This will probably involve some disassembly which they would do for you if the unit is in warranty (back in China), but if not it probably could be done where you are since you won’t have to mess with the electronics (hopefully) but still want to do it safely (so in fact you can put it back together and get it working). I’d be willing to wager that your problem is swollen batteries. Did you have any difficulty putting the tray in last time? Or getting the screws that hold it in place out before you tried to remove the tray?

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #5,960 of 6,249
Thinking about you over the weekend. Any success yet? If not, I suggest to contact Cayin support at service@cayin.cn If your unit is out of warranty, they may have some suggestions for you to help you get the tray out. This will probably involve some disassembly which they would do for you if the unit is in warranty (back in China), but if not it probably could be done where you are since you won’t have to mess with the electronics (hopefully) but still want to do it safely (so in fact you can put it back together and get it working). I’d be willing to wager that your problem is swollen batteries. Did you have any difficulty putting the tray in last time? Or getting the screws that hold it in place out before you tried to remove the tray?
I am at a conference until Friday and didn’t want to start this “on the way” out the door, so I’ll do it this weekend and I agree - I think cooling it down might help. It’s in warranty, but at this point I’ll just pry it open - if not works. No way I am sending it back and waiting weeks. Then it’s what it is.., as way too much hassle. I’ve already scratched it as tried to gently push with a screwdriver. So warranty would probably be viewed as invalid as it looks less and less new. I should have just returned it for service than try to resolve these things myself as I’ve shot myself in the foot - so you live and learn.

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #5,961 of 6,249
I am at a conference until Friday and didn’t want to start this “on the way” out the door, so I’ll do it this weekend and I agree - I think cooling it down might help. It’s in warranty, but at this point I’ll just pry it open - if not works. No way I am sending it back and waiting weeks. Then it’s what it is.., as way too much hassle. I’ve already scratched it as tried to gently push with a screwdriver. So warranty would probably be viewed as invalid as it looks less and less new. I should have just returned it for service than try to resolve these things myself as I’ve shot myself in the foot - so you live and learn.
Good luck. Would still advise to contact service as they may have recs for opening to cause the least internal damage.

May 5, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #5,962 of 6,249
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 19, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #5,964 of 6,249
Does your C9 too slide out of its case super easily? I feel like it’s only a matter of time before I inadvertently let it fall to the ground
Mine did not use to, but recently yes. Need to be extra careful now.

This started happening when I switched to a balanced cable for my Elegia/Clears and use NuTube+Class A mode.
C9 is definitely hotter when using it balanced, and maybe the warmth changed the shape of the case just slightly. I do not notice a change when looking at it though.

May 19, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #5,965 of 6,249

This started happening when I switched to a balanced cable for my Elegia/Clears and use NuTube+Class A mode.
C9 is definitely hotter when using it balanced, and maybe the warmth changed the shape of the case just slightly. I do not notice a change when looking at it though.
Yes- mine is looser too. Will play around with this to see what works. I suspect a thin layer of high friction foam will do the job.

May 24, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #5,966 of 6,249
Hi there, i’d like to upgrade the 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect (too short).
Could some of those who upgrade give me some advices / feedbacks about possible choices ? and if this is the case, what more they bring (apart from the length 😅) ?
Thanks.

May 24, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #5,967 of 6,249
Hi there, i’d like to upgrade the 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect (too short).
Could some of those who upgrade give me some advices / feedbacks about possible choices ? and if this is the case, what more they bring (apart from the length 😅) ?
Thanks.
I‘d like to bring two cable makers to your attention, also in light of you being in France. One is iFi Audio, who offer one 4.4-to-4.4 mm interconnect; one is Forza Audioworks in Poland, who offer a number of custom interconnects. The sound properties center around the usual copper and silver concepts. I have the iFi 4.4-to-4.4 and 4.4-to-XLR interconnects, and I have a Forza IEM cable. All are fine and worth the money.

With Forza, you can contact ”Matt“ and inquire what he can do besides what their website shows. Be prepared that his response time might be a bit long, but otherwise he is very reliable.

As compared to the Cayin stock 4.4-to-4.4 IC, those two bring five connections (L+, L-, R+, R-, and Ground), while Cayin has no Ground. The latter has a slight negative effect to my experience (cf. this thread), a sizzling noise when touching the DAP‘s screen, both with my former N6ii and my current N8ii.

Hope that helps.

May 24, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #5,968 of 6,249
May 24, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #5,969 of 6,249
Great, thanks 👍

May 25, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #5,970 of 6,249
Does your C9 too slide out of its case super easily? I feel like it’s only a matter of time before I inadvertently let it fall to the ground

If your C9 case starts to slide out after long-term usage, I'll suggest you add two 1mm thick adhesive pads at the front corner of the case, This should stop the C9 from sliding out without affecting the heat dispersion function of the leather case.

1685014383090.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back