Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 14, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #5,446 of 6,212
The C9 really improves dynamics and soundstage of almost every IEM, specially the hybrid electrostatic ones, it’s an excellent adition to every portable setup
763CED20-C3B3-4BB1-AFFF-F6208B8D7B41.jpeg

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #5,452 of 6,212
Hi head-fiers,

Does anyone know if there are any advantages to couple Cayin RU6 with Cayin C9 ?
What are the main disadvantages ? Should double-amping be avoided at any cost ?
Should I use Cayin RU6 or Cayin C9 alone instead ? Why ?

I will mainly use this combo with my
  • Sennheiser HD660s,
  • DCA Aeon Noire,
  • Dunu SA6.
Thanks to you all for your input :beerchug:

PS: I have posted the same questions in the Cayin RU6 thread; if any one is following one or the other Cayin product thread only.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #5,453 of 6,212
Hi head-fiers,

Does anyone know if there are any advantages to couple Cayin RU6 with Cayin C9 ?
What are the main disadvantages ? Should double-amping be avoided at any cost ?
Should I use Cayin RU6 or Cayin C9 alone instead ? Why ?

I will mainly use this combo with my
  • Sennheiser HD660s,
  • DCA Aeon Noire,
  • Dunu SA6.
Thanks to you all for your input :beerchug:

PS: I have posted the same questions in the Cayin RU6 thread; if any one is following one or the other Cayin product thread only.
Hiya, not sure I understand why you'd want to do that. Unless are you using a mobile as a streaming source?

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #5,454 of 6,212
hiby r8 line out to c9 with final a8000 is blowing my mind this morning with some ambient music

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #5,455 of 6,212
Hiya, not sure I understand why you'd want to do that. Unless are you using a mobile as a streaming source?

Yes indeed my Android smartphone will be the streaming source (Qobuz through UAPP).

What's wrong to use this combo with a laptop ?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #5,456 of 6,212
Yes indeed my Android smartphone will be the streaming source (Qobuz through UAPP).

What's wrong to use this combo with a laptop ?
I think the RU6 would be the better choice then. I didn't say anything about a laptop but if you have a Qobuz account then you will be able to stream from the laptop with the RU6. The only thing you might want to add to that chain is some kind of noise/jitter/interference suppression of the Audioquest or ifi Audio sort to give the RU6 it's best chance. I think the C9 comes into its own when being fed from a mid range or above DAP so it has a purer sound signal so to speak. But these are just my thoughts.

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #5,457 of 6,212
I think the RU6 would be the better choice then. I didn't say anything about a laptop but if you have a Qobuz account then you will be able to stream from the laptop with the RU6. The only thing you might want to add to that chain is some kind of noise/jitter/interference suppression of the Audioquest or ifi Audio sort to give the RU6 it's best chance. I think the C9 comes into its own when being fed from a mid range or above DAP so it has a purer sound signal so to speak. But these are just my thoughts.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

At home, I have a Topping stack (A90 and D90SE). So RU6 is mainly used on my
  • smartphone (Qobuz through UAPP in bit perfect mode)
    • at the office
    • on the move
  • laptop (Qobuz through ASIO driver)
    • at the office
I'm just wondering what will be the pros & cons of using the RU6 with a C9 added to the chain... or using a C9 only instead.
I never intend to use a DAP. So a C9 might be useful to have a different sound signature only.
Maybe I don't understand the purpose or usage of a C9 at all :thinking:

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #5,458 of 6,212
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

At home, I have a Topping stack (A90 and D90SE). So RU6 is mainly used on my
  • smartphone (Qobuz through UAPP in bit perfect mode)
    • at the office
    • on the move
  • laptop (Qobuz through ASIO driver)
    • at the office
I'm just wondering what will be the pros & cons of using the RU6 with a C9 added to the chain... or using a C9 only instead.
I never intend to use a DAP. So a C9 might be useful to have a different sound signature only.
Maybe I don't understand the purpose or usage of a C9 at all :thinking:
No problem, and a lot depends on how you will use your devices. The C9 is an amp only so no dac involved whereas the RU6 has both a dac and an amp. If you want to have real mobility then the C9 might not be for you as it is transportable as opposed to portable I would say. If you were going to use it as a desktop amp then fine, but you already have one and by all accounts a good one. I am not sure there is a benefit to adding a C9 to the RU6 so you are effectively using the RU6 as a dac. Does the Ru6 have a line out or is it purely headphone out? I thought it was only headphone out so then you are double amping which is less ideal.

Don't get me wrong as I think the C9 is a fabulous thing but I am not certain it fits into what you are using and offers you a benefit over the RU6. Does that help? Please just bear in mind this is just my opinion and is not what someone else might think or suggest.

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #5,459 of 6,212
Does the Ru6 have a line out or is it purely headphone out? I thought it was only headphone out so then you are double amping which is less ideal.
That's correct. The RU6 is headphone out only. So double amping couldn't be avoided indeed when RU6 is paired up with the C9.

Don't get me wrong as I think the C9 is a fabulous thing but I am not certain it fits into what you are using and offers you a benefit over the RU6. Does that help?

Definitely!

So I'm just wondering now what is the main usage of the C9.
To be coupled to a DAP only ?

Maybe I don't need a C9 after all :wink:

PS: twister6 reviewed the paring of the RU6 to the C9 in his RU6 review: External AMP pair up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back