Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #3,541 of 6,212
We may have some complaints for how C9 charges. Mr. Liang thank the users here for your understanding, and point out that the 18650 battery design is the key behind C9’s magical performance and sound quality.

We can try out best to protect C9 and our DAPs and be able to always enjoy the good sound. :)
Small price to pay. Easy instructions, if not obvious. Some people do not ever read manuals or for that matter even warning stickers. Fully expect there will be people making this mistake, too bad, there was not a safer way to design this to not cause issues.

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #3,542 of 6,212
Small price to pay. Easy instructions, if not obvious. Some people do not ever read manuals or for that matter even warning stickers. Fully expect there will be people making this mistake, too bad, there was not a safer way to design this to not cause issues.
Yes indeed. Maybe the capacity of 18650 will increase in the next few years such that they can last for much longer per charge. Then, the current design will have its advantage: we just update our batteries!

I notice that back in a couple of pages, some users have already identified a kind of battery with identical performance but larger capacity. Perhaps that’s worth trying. :)

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #3,543 of 6,212
Yes indeed. Maybe the capacity of 18650 will increase in the next few years such that they can last for much longer per charge. Then, the current design will have its advantage: we just update our batteries!

I notice that back in a couple of pages, some users have already identified a kind of battery with identical performance but larger capacity. Perhaps that’s worth trying. :)
Current audio bliss.
P6PRO 4.4 C9 Tube A Thummim Neko Case Deep Red Bells. It is that simple.

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #3,544 of 6,212
After reading some more related materials, I am still quite concerned about the risk for both charging and using C9 at the same time.

Each charge will keep C9 working for 6 hours. If your listening session is longer than this, get another set of batteries and a battery charger is the easiest way.

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #3,545 of 6,212
After reading some more related materials, I am still quite concerned about the risk for both charging and using C9 at the same time.

Each charge will keep C9 working for 6 hours. If your listening session is longer than this, get another set of batteries and a battery charger is the easiest way.
After playing through out a box power. Charging fully. I only got 5 hours of play time on my first not 6. On the second charge now still 4 lights about an hour in. Long day at work today, yesterday I ran the full charge listening session that lasted 5 hours till no power. Took really long to charge using an IPAD charger, like 6 hours. Going to get a different charger was wondering what is the specification for a fast charge solution, the Apple charger is great for all the DAPs but slow for the C9.

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #3,546 of 6,212
After playing through out a box power. Charging fully. I only got 5 hours of play time on my first not 6. On the second charge now still 4 lights about an hour in. Long day at work today, yesterday I ran the full charge listening session that lasted 5 hours till no power. Took really long to charge using an IPAD charger, like 6 hours. Going to get a different charger was wondering what is the specification for a fast charge solution, the Apple charger is great for all the DAPs but slow for the C9.
Do you use the old or new Apple charger, Like the 5V one or the 12V one?

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #3,547 of 6,212
I saw that @zen87192 uses a Samsung quick charger to charge the device in around 3hrs, so I assume that a quick charger can indeed benefit C9's charging time.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,548 of 6,212

It already can , some of them are 4000mAh now. It is just that a higher CDR is harder to come by. However, I feel that the C9 isn’t draining more than 5A per cell anyways. So higher discharge rate may not even help. I tried previously, the Samsung 1800 was the highest CDR but indeed the performances was subpar than orbtronic And Sony

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #3,549 of 6,212
It already can , some of them are 4000mAh now. It is just that a higher CDR is harder to come by. However, I feel that the C9 isn’t draining more than 5A per cell anyways. So higher discharge rate may not even help. I tried previously, the Samsung 1800 was the highest CDR but indeed the performances was subpar than orbtronic And Samsung
I remember that the stock ones are 3000mAh. So, in theory, do the 4000mAh ones give 1/3 more listening time? :thinking:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #3,550 of 6,212
Look at Amazon, which carries a few "Quick Charge 3.0" wall warts. Mine charges in a little over 3 hours.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #3,551 of 6,212
Very careful with buying batteries guys, it's apparently world shortages and factories in flames rushing to produce fakes.
I ended up getting some from Amazon that are good and charged them in a fast charger with 2 slots only, works really well,but swapping them is a minor pain.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #3,552 of 6,212
Very careful with buying batteries guys, it's apparently world shortages and factories in flames rushing to produce fakes.
I ended up getting some from Amazon that are good and charged them in a fast charger with 2 slots only, works really well,but swapping them is a minor pain.
I think I’ll just carry on with recharging my unit at night time. It lasts me most of my work day :)

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #3,553 of 6,212
I think I’ll just carry on with recharging my unit at night time. It lasts me most of my work day :)
Yeah for normal use the rest is very optional imo, charging separately overnight or whenever should be sufficient

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #3,554 of 6,212
So, having the N6ii+A02 in high output and the C9 in low gain (all 4.4 balanced) tube class A is creating a very good sound.

The N6ii+A02 does sound excellent attached to this amp. When comparing listening to my 24/96 version of 'A Farewell to Kings' by Rush between my C9 and N6ii+A02 I have the following impressions: The mid-bass is incredibly detailed (more detailed), Geddy Lee sounds very 'in the room'. There is quite a bit more low bass than I am used to, it sounds good but is slightly more bloomy, probably due to the tubes. The highs are very clear, more of them (and very occasionally a fraction too much depending on the recording), but my ears are adjusting. The mids are the usual smooth tubiness and lush.

Like other people here, it will be hard to go back to just a DAP after this.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #3,555 of 6,212
My listening setup for the moment. I like to switch between different sound signatures, although growing anxious for ifi 4.4mm IEMatch @Sebastien Chiu
PWAudio does offer 4.4 variable impedance adapter...but for 525 dollars. eek

FYI, for those with M1 Mac. You can use Hiby Music on M1 Mac due to iOS app compatibility. No need to crane my neck to use R8, can keep it tucked on bottom shelf of rack!

IMG_0849.jpg
Just curious why you need the IFI Match coming out of the C9? You have a $300 interconnect there and then a cheap IFI degrading the signal IMO. I used my andro golds straight out of the amp with no problems...Admitedly I do not know much about IFI Match, am I missing something??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back