Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #3,286 of 6,212
My god all this talk of the trailli's soundstage has me worried. I can also imagine how it might get too wide with the c9... But, still doesn't put me off wanting it -- no such thing as too wide a soundstage. Just like there's no such thing as too much money. I do really like the u18t's intimate treble against the soft glowing distance of the c9's AB+tube setting, suuuper combo. U18t is so incredibly incisive and immediate and the warmth and width of c9 is great for it.

Also, guys -- snob-dumping on sp2000's "pseudo" line out? What does this mean? :D It means I have to get the PAW gold or that green-cased L&P pro, doesn't it, because their line out is somehow magically better, right?

Guess I'll just stop paying rent, get all that and sleep on the sidewalk with an f-n amazing HARD CORE TRUE LINE OUT.
I don’t think so. I skipped the SP2000 because I did not like the physical design, and no 4.4, I listened to it and the sound was great. People have indicated high level results using all types of players as sources for the C9.

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #3,287 of 6,212
Completely final?

Since you like Obravo HAMT3 MKII a lot, maybe you should check out HAMT2? or even HAMT1?

By the way, I am very excited to know from you that C9 is an upgrade from the amp section of HugoTT. This is unexpected, and probably no one will expect until you shared your impression.
Personally I do not enjoy much on the amplification section of both Hugo 2 and Hugo TT2. I found it lack of emotion and authority. May be it needs a long break in but out of the box, sound from C9 and Audio-technica AT-BHA 100 are much fuller and musical. However, Chord does make the best DAC here and the M Scaler is magical. In my opinion, Chord is at the pinnacle of digital music with its DAC and upsampling technology.

I have already auditioned HAMT1 Signature but luckily I found my HAMT3 suits my taste more. The HAMT1 has unbelievable dynamic and the best high high low extension but it makes the mid a bit recessed.

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3,288 of 6,212
My god all this talk of the trailli's soundstage has me worried. I can also imagine how it might get too wide with the c9... But, still doesn't put me off wanting it -- no such thing as too wide a soundstage. Just like there's no such thing as too much money. I do really like the u18t's intimate treble against the soft glowing distance of the c9's AB+tube setting, suuuper combo. U18t is so incredibly incisive and immediate and the warmth and width of c9 is great for it.

Also, guys -- snob-dumping on sp2000's "pseudo" line out? What does this mean? :D It means I have to get the PAW gold or that green-cased L&P pro, doesn't it, because their line out is somehow magically better, right?

Guess I'll just stop paying rent, get all that and sleep on the sidewalk with an f-n amazing HARD CORE TRUE LINE OUT.
My understanding is that a true LO completely bypasses the amp function of the original DAP, therefore allowing you to fully enjoy the amp signature of C9. This also usually comes with the benefit of a cleaner, less distorted signal from the DAP that feeds into C9.

For pseudo LO, the amp function of the DAP is still involved, and the DAP is just offering that output with a much higher voltage.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #3,289 of 6,212
Also, just want to note again that the second batch of C9 is expected to be sold out soon. The third batch could take a long time to arrive due to potential part shortages... Try audition one now and grab one if it works for you.

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #3,290 of 6,212
My understanding is that a true LO completely bypasses the amp function of the original DAP, therefore allowing you to fully enjoy the amp signature of C9. This also usually comes with the benefit of a cleaner, less distorted signal from the DAP that feeds into C9.

For pseudo LO, the amp function of the DAP is still involved, and the DAP is just offering that output with a much higher voltage.
How do you know for sure which it is in a given DAP?

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #3,291 of 6,212
Also, just want to note again that the second batch of C9 is expected to be sold out soon. The third batch could take a long time to arrive due to potential part shortages... Try audition one now and grab one if it works for you.
Has there been information about total batch amounts (batch 1 and 2)?

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #3,292 of 6,212
How do you know for sure which it is in a given DAP?
Good question and I don’t know. I can only tell from past user experience. Lotoo’s DAPs seem all to be true LO. Even for N6ii, only E02 and A02 offer true LO. R6 and R8 are true LO. DX300 with the current amp card is not (but a new one with true LO is on the way). SP2000 is not.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #3,293 of 6,212
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #3,295 of 6,212
Well I mean like total amount made. Which is the same as sold pretty soon apparently.
500 for the first batch. The second batch includes around 400 pre-ordered units, so I guess at least 500 for the second batch and could be many more.

So, my estimate is a total of 1000-1500 have been sold globally.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #3,296 of 6,212
Well I mean like total amount made. Which is the same as sold pretty soon apparently.
I see that you have N3 Pro. Its 3.5 is true LO while 4.4 is pseudo LO. But, just want to emphasize that it is not necessarily the case that pseudo LO will not give good performance; it is just that a true LO is generally preferable.

More importantly, in using C9, it is essential to remain consistency in your audio chain for the best audio performance: BAL-in to BAL-out, and SE-in to SE-out. The BAL/SE convertor works fine, but it seems to require serious burn-in.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #3,297 of 6,212
I see that you have N3 Pro. Its 3.5 is true LO while 4.4 is pseudo LO. But, just want to emphasize that it is not necessarily the case that pseudo LO will not give good performance; it is just that a true LO is generally preferable.

More importantly, in using C9, it is essential to remain consistency in your audio chain for the best audio performance: BAL-in to BAL-out, and SE-in to SE-out. The BAL/SE convertor works fine, but it seems to require serious burn-in.

Thanks, good points. I tested again with the 3.5 LO of N3Pro, 3.5 ICs (stock) and 3.5 out at C9 end (and then with 4.4 shared/pseudo LO from N3Pro, 4.4 stock IC and 4.4 out at C9). And it all so sounds good so what do I know :o2smile: (test track: Blade Runner end credits FLAC). No burn in involved aside from just listening.
(and I have to use Clairvoyance with stock adapters from 2.5 cable to 3.5 or 4.4, don't know if this is an issue. Don't have any particularly good earphones with 3.5mm cable).
Of course, my next DAP purchase will be with C9 synergy in mind, though preferably next year to get more use of my current toys. N6ii successor being on wish list, wink wink.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #3,300 of 6,212
So the LPGT 4.4 is true line out ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back