Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 9, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #2,762 of 6,212
Do i have to adjust the volume on DX300 when using line out with C9? I’m using medium gain and sounds like i’m not getting it loud enough, like i’m at 2 o clock using Fourte
DX300 should be set at line out, 100% volume, low gain.

Medium might be okay but not sure what voltage it produces.

Apr 10, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,764 of 6,212
I still haven't decide on C9 mainly due to the sound of "line-in" mode presentation is "to your face" type, quite similar to the Hugo2 presentation. "Depth" is missing in certain songs (example: studio recording or live concert...my favorite) compare to LPGT Ti.

I have my 3rd C9 audition after I learned about the "pre-in" mode from previous posts. I have spend 2.5 hours, focus with Traillii. My impression after the 3rd audition:
1.) I am comparing both 3.5 & 4.4 connectors this time
2.) I am comparing both "line-in" and "pre-in" mode
3.) My other setting for C9: low gain, tube, class A.
4.) My LPGT Ti settings: LO when I pair with C9 "line-in" mode, H/P out when I pair with "pre-in" mode. I change H/p out to low gain. I can hear noise with high gain.
5.) My focus this round is the "pre-in" mode.
6.) With "pre-in" mode, I can finally hear the LPGT Ti one of the main sound characteristic. The depth 🥰
7.) To my ears, the LPGT Ti 4.4 sound more relax, bigger soundstage left to right but less "focus". 3.5 sound more focus but it has smaller soundstage. These characteristics show in C9 in pre-in mode presentation but both 4.4 and 3.5 connector have identical wide soundstage.
8.) The LPGT Ti sound characteristic is not obvious in both 4.4 and 3.5 connector with "Line-in" mode. Both sound identical to me.

These concluded that the C9 is a very transparent amp. I can still hear the "Lotoo sound" with pre-in mode. On the other hand, it's a fun device too. I can "tune" the sound based on my mood and albums. Pre-in vs line-in vs tube vs ss vs class a vs class ab 😳

Going to order 1 next week

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #2,765 of 6,212
I still haven't decide on C9 mainly due to the sound of "line-in" mode presentation is "to your face" type, quite similar to the Hugo2 presentation. "Depth" is missing in certain songs (example: studio recording or live concert...my favorite) compare to LPGT Ti.

I have my 3rd C9 audition after I learned about the "pre-in" mode from previous posts. I have spend 2.5 hours, focus with Traillii. My impression after the 3rd audition:
4.) My LPGT Ti settings: LO when I pair with C9 "line-in" mode, H/P out when I pair with "pre-in" mode. I change H/p out to low gain. I can hear noise with high gain.
6.) With "pre-in" mode, I can finally hear the LPGT Ti one of the main sound characteristic. The depth 🥰
7.) To my ears, the LPGT Ti 4.4 sound more relax, bigger soundstage left to right but less "focus". 3.5 sound more focus but it has smaller soundstage. These characteristics show in C9 in pre-in mode presentation but both 4.4 and 3.5 connector have identical wide soundstage.
8.) The LPGT Ti sound characteristic is not obvious in both 4.4 and 3.5 connector with "Line-in" mode. Both sound identical to me.

These concluded that the C9 is a very transparent. I can still hear the "Lotoo sound" with pre-in mode. On the other hand, it's a fun device too. I can "tune" the sound based on my mood and albums. Pre-in vs line-in vs tube vs ss vs class a vs class ab 😳

congrats!

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #2,766 of 6,212

These concluded that the C9 is a very transparent. I can still hear the "Lotoo sound" with pre-in mode. On the other hand, it's a fun device too. I can "tune" the sound based on my mood and albums. Pre-in vs line-in vs tube vs ss vs class a vs class ab 😳

You have one more option to try.
LPGT-Ti: LO with "Unfixed" volume & C9: pre-in mode.

This is my favorite settings.

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #2,769 of 6,212
What is "unfixed" volume?
It's a variable volume mode for LO. You can adjust LO volume on LPGT-Ti.

First, select "Line out" under Settings>Output setting>Output type on LPGT-Ti,
then you will see Settings>Output setting>Line out, and select "Unfixed."

Attachments

• LPGT-Ti_Settings1.JPG
    LPGT-Ti_Settings1.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • LPGT-Ti_Settings2.JPG
    LPGT-Ti_Settings2.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #2,770 of 6,212
C99603A0-6C1B-424B-8B28-D6A9E507C0C2.jpeg

The C9 arrived at last yesterday evening. Was trying it out with the Final A8000 and the FitEar DC. The A8000 is given a much fuller and richer sonics. Though I will have to say that it is much easier to drive that the FitEar DC which I had on LO high from the M15 and high output on the C9 on balanced. Not being used to it, I simply unplugged the FitEar DC and plugged in the A8000 without any changes and almost blew out my ears. :)

Will try out the Focal Utopia today for which I have the same Tianwaitian cable from CEMA on AliExpress which is an alloy cable of copper, silver, palladium and gold.

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #2,771 of 6,212
C99603A0-6C1B-424B-8B28-D6A9E507C0C2.jpeg

The C9 arrived at last yesterday evening. Was trying it out with the Final A8000 and the FitEar DC. The A8000 is given a much fuller and richer sonics. Though I will have to say that it is much easier to drive that the FitEar DC which I had on LO high from the M15 and high output on the C9 on balanced. Not being used to it, I simply unplugged the FitEar DC and plugged in the A8000 without any changes and almost blew out my ears. :)

Will try out the Focal Utopia today for which I have the same Tianwaitian cable from CEMA on AliExpress which is an alloy cable of copper, silver, palladium and gold.
Congrats! Glad that you finally get back your new toy and in a good working shape. :)

Also just for the record, when paired with IEMs I almost always leave my C9 in low gain. I find this to be sufficient for all the IEMs I am using and helps to remove some background noise.

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #2,772 of 6,212
636444F8-787F-4C2C-9CEB-95C45714700C.jpeg

At the same time, I will be trying out the Phatlab Chimera which sounds promising as well. Choice of SS and tube output. And with high/low gain. Much lighter than the C9. Only difference is it only has SE input and lacks a pre-amp function. But half the price of the C9. So it may work for some people. :)

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,773 of 6,212
636444F8-787F-4C2C-9CEB-95C45714700C.jpeg

At the same time, I will be trying out the Phatlab Chimera which sounds promising as well. Choice of SS and tube output. And with high/low gain. Much lighter than the C9. Only difference is it only has SE input and lacks a pre-amp function. But half the price of the C9. So it may work for some people. :)
Wait I just realized: Did you stay up all night to play with C9? :joy:

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #2,774 of 6,212
Congrats! Glad that you finally get back your new toy and in a good working shape. :)

Also just for the record, when paired with IEMs I almost always leave my C9 in low gain. I find this to be sufficient for all the IEMs I am using and helps to remove some background noise.
Heheh! Something to remember. 🙏 Though to be fair, the FitEar DC did benefit from the added power. 😆

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #2,775 of 6,212
Wait I just realized: Did you stay up all night to play with C9? :joy:
Heheh! Not at all. I received around 8/9 pm. And was experimenting until about 1am. Woke early cos the shingles I'm labouring under made it uncomfortable to sleep too long. So woke up at 6ish this morning. Thank goodness for the C9 and Chimera to keep me company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back