Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Feb 9, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #976 of 6,227
I can't speak for the Diana, but I can let you know how far it pushes the ZMF VC. I will also likely try my 600ohm Beyers on it just for sh#ts and giggles.
V2 owner here. :) C9 is arriving today.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #977 of 6,227
Thats exactly it! For me using it with iems primarily was a nightmare cause I was stuck using it in the range of 0 to 1/4 and that area is the weakest.... Half of it is channel imbalanced and then you got that scratchy itchy thing lol oh boy...
Yep, they totally fixed that on the Plus version. That's why I say it felt a bit "beta" because they really should have fixed that before it was released. The Plus version works perfectly with IEMs on lo-gain.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #978 of 6,227
Feb 9, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #979 of 6,227
Thats exactly it! For me using it with iems primarily was a nightmare cause I was stuck using it in the range of 0 to 1/4 and that area is the weakest.... Half of it is channel imbalanced and then you got that scratchy itchy thing lol oh boy...

Nice good quality and its 8 wires right? Looks high quality stuff very neet!
The C9 has such fine volume controls. Just for the volume control and performances by itself, that is already worth $$$$ for IEMS IMO.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #980 of 6,227
Now, I think many other will be curious of this since N8 also offer a true line out, and I only know @twister6 to sport all of these. What do you prefer between Max and N8 to C9 ?

N8 line out is far better than sp2k fake line out. Cleaner, better separation and soundstage. Bass heavy tracks become blurred on sp2k but retain instrument separation on n8.

I believe dx300 has true line out on 4.4 balanced with a very high 7v output

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #981 of 6,227
May I know which IC did you order?
FB_IMG_1612881216255.jpg

Erua Tawa, a new brand from Taiwan which is quite popular in Asia recently. A mixed threads of Gold plated Silver and Paladium plated Silver on Litz Type 6.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #982 of 6,227
FB_IMG_1612881216255.jpg
Erua Tawa, a new brand from Taiwan which is quite popular in Asia recently. A mixed threads of Gold plated Silver and Paladium plated Silver on Litz Type 6.
Thanks!!

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #983 of 6,227
N8 line out is far better than sp2k fake line out. Cleaner, better separation and soundstage. Bass heavy tracks become blurred on sp2k but retain instrument separation on n8.

I believe dx300 has true line out on 4.4 balanced with a very high 7v output

Really sp2k is that bad? How did you test that out. I am just intrigued thought it was good.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #985 of 6,227
Really sp2k is that bad? How did you test that out. I am just intrigued thought it was good.

SP2k is a good DAP but what I am finding is in line out mode it starts to struggle because it has the amplifiers still in play. Essentially line out is just setting the volume to max.

I use the DD hifi 2.5 and 3.5 double connection to 4.4 which essentially provides a ground but I also tried a 2.5 to 4.4 straight connect. There was no difference I could tell in blackness or sound quality.

It's not that bad, just the n8 is noticeably better I matched volume as best I could. The sp2k sounds great if you hear it first, but switch to n8 and a veil, is lifted.

The problem with n8 is I don't like the interface and I do use streaming.

I personally think sp2k is overpriced when you consider alternatives like dx300 are a third of the price in Europe

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #986 of 6,227
You may have missed my message.

@xand Measurements are important. Even Schiit publishes full Ap555 reports for their newer products. Has Cayin provided such transparency to justify the C9's price?

So I guess you agree that better measurements doesn't mean better sound? Why are measurements important?

Is the BX2 Plus a comparable alternative to the C9?

I think you're going to get impressions from others in this thread - but what I can guarantee is that you won't find the answer by having ASR do measurements (although I think it'll be great if you do get both and send them both to ASR :wink: ).

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #987 of 6,227
So I guess you agree that better measurements doesn't mean better sound? Why are measurements important?

Measurements can help reveal design problems with an amplifier such as spotting 60hz mains noise from a poorly designed PSU circuit. I've seen other examples where measurements can spot channeling tracking issues, poor linearity, and of most importantnce for an amplifier is the basic distortion vs power measurement which can reveal whether an amp lives up to the power specs a manufacturer claims it does.

I would have never assumed that the Asgard 3 would struggle with lower impedance loads as ASR found.

Capture+_2021-02-09-09-56-32-1.png

Such information is useful for the audio equipment consumer. It would be helpful and brave of Cayin if they were to send a sample of the C9 to Amir for review.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #988 of 6,227
Feb 9, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #989 of 6,227
SP2k is a good DAP but what I am finding is in line out mode it starts to struggle because it has the amplifiers still in play. Essentially line out is just setting the volume to max.

I use the DD hifi 2.5 and 3.5 double connection to 4.4 which essentially provides a ground but I also tried a 2.5 to 4.4 straight connect. There was no difference I could tell in blackness or sound quality.

It's not that bad, just the n8 is noticeably better I matched volume as best I could. The sp2k sounds great if you hear it first, but switch to n8 and a veil, is lifted.

The problem with n8 is I don't like the interface and I do use streaming.

I personally think sp2k is overpriced when you consider alternatives like dx300 are a third of the price in Europe

Arrr okay I got the lineout issue will check that out but lol please dont bring dx300 vs sp2k 🤣😅

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #990 of 6,227
Measurements can help reveal design problems with an amplifier such as spotting 60hz mains noise from a poorly designed PSU circuit. I've seen other examples where measurements can spot channeling tracking issues, poor linearity, and of most importantnce for an amplifier is the basic distortion vs power measurement which can reveal whether an amp lives up to the power specs a manufacturer claims it does.

I would have never assumed that the Asgard 3 would struggle with lower impedance loads as ASR found.

Capture+_2021-02-09-09-56-32-1.png

Such information is useful for the audio equipment consumer. It would be helpful and brave of Cayin if they were to send a sample of the C9 to Amir for review.
With all due respects. You can buy one and send as donate to Amir ? Even manufacturers need to make money. Their samples to reviewers are not free, we are paying for it. I rather trust my ears than any reviewers or graphs lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back