Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #5,792 of 6,212
Anyone connected the C9 using line out from a dongle like Lotoo Paw S2 (which will act as dac) to use with Android smartphones before? Does it work well?
Did it when I had mine; worked well. Probably Questyle M15 would be best for this as it has fixed output.

20211221_113640.jpg

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #5,793 of 6,212
I'd like to ask a maybe trivial noob question.

If I want to connect some RS6 with specs
S/N ratio 114 dB
Dynamic range 95 dB
THD+N 0.003%
Output impedance 0.8Ω

... to C9 through Pentacon, true LO, what will be the resulting specs of the combo?

Edit:
Maybe to give some context for my question.
I am wondering about technical capabilities in terms of DNR, SNR of a midfi DAP (like RS6) vs a TOTL DAP (like M9) vs a midfi DAP combined with a TOTL mobile amp (like C9).
The specs like DNR of R2R devices have been kind of mediocre AFAIK.
Only DACs like Holos are performing on a level of the good delta sigma devices here.
I am now wondering
- if the combo with a mobile amp (over true line out) will lead to specs of a TOTL DAP (such as DX300 MAX etc)
- if human ears can hear the difference anyway (the difference on paper of RS6 DNR and the usual DNR of good DAPs is quite big).

So far I have been hearing alot about perceived bigger stage with C9, SNR increased, etc but is this reflected in increased specs?
Which parts are related to DAC limitations only and which to the amplification chain?
Btw to my ears the synergy between a DAP and IEM in terms of frequency response and which parts of the frequency spectrum are pronounced or recessed could play a far more significant role to (at least my ears) than the before mentioned specs

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5,794 of 6,212
Did it when I had mine; worked well. Probably Questyle M15 would be best for this as it has fixed output.

20211221_113640.jpg
With the firmware released a few months ago S2 also has fixed LO :wink:.

Sep 10, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #5,795 of 6,212

Mid-Autumn Festival is held on the full moon of the 8th month of the lunar calendar. In Chinese Culture, roundness symbolizes completeness and togetherness, therefore, the Mid-Autumn Festival is a time for friends and family to come together and appreciate the union and completeness of our life. This might be a small wish that we take for granted in the past, but COVID has taught us to treasure every moment of gathering and reunion, and we wish all our users and friend a Happy Mid-Autumn Festival.

I want to share a personal plan with all my partners and friends in HeadFi forum. I'll take a long break later this month, and this will probably last till the end of 2022. I'll stay out of the radar completely and will resurface when I feel confident that I am fit to handle my job again. @Cayin will take over my role for Cayin audio and I'll hand over my ongoing activities and responsibilities to them gradually next week. So if you need to PM me on a Cayin-related issue, please include or address your problem to @Cayin. I really enjoy my time with the HeadFi forum and am looking forward to meeting with you again after my long vacation.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 10, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #5,797 of 6,212

Mid-Autumn Festival is held on the full moon of the 8th month of the lunar calendar. In Chinese Culture, roundness symbolizes completeness and togetherness, therefore, the Mid-Autumn Festival is a time for friends and family to come together and appreciate the union and completeness of our life. This might be a small wish that we take for granted in the past, but COVID has taught us to treasure every moment of gathering and reunion, and we wish all our users and friend a Happy Mid-Autumn Festival.

I want to share a personal plan with all my partners and friends in HeadFi forum. I'll take a long break later this month, and this will probably last till the end of 2022. I'll stay out of the radar completely and will resurface when I feel confident that I am fit to handle my job again. @Cayin will take over my role for Cayin audio and I'll hand over my ongoing activities and responsibilities to them gradually next week. So if you need to PM me on a Cayin-related issue, please include or address your problem to @Cayin. I really enjoy my time with the HeadFi forum and am looking forward to meeting with you again after my long vacation.
Andy
Enjoy the much deserved rest!
Please do come back, as it would be a shame to lose your openess and expertise on this forum!
Stay well, Stay safe!

Sep 11, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #5,798 of 6,212

Rest well, friend - it has been a long couple of years. We look forward to our interactions with you in future. You have been an enormous help to so many of us!

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #5,799 of 6,212
Shameless Plug: If someone looks for C9 in like new condition, mine is on classified. thnks.

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #5,801 of 6,212
One additional item- C9 is really meant to be connected to a battery powered DAP. If connected to a powered DAC or computer or a laptop that is charging (via 3.5 mm aux, for example), you may also create a short circuit- especially if C9 is also charging at the same time. If the upstream DAC is battery powered you should be safe, eg I have connected it to an IFi micro iDSD signature that is battery powered (via RCA out from the Signature) without problem - even though the upstream signal source was USB from a DC-powered streamer (Sonore MicroRendu). I have still avoided charging C9 while doing so- just to be safe.
How do you like it with the signature? I have that and the Gryphon and I'm excited to try the C9 with them.

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #5,802 of 6,212
How do you like it with the signature? I have that and the Gryphon and I'm excited to try the C9 with them.
I’ve mostly used the Signature as LO DAC , using RCA DUAL out SE (via RCA-> single 3.5 mm splitter) into C9 3.5 mm port. Signature retains the smooth character of the original SQ. Connected this way, 3D and XBass on tbe signature are not active since those are analogue/amp elements of the Signature, at least I’m not hearing any difference when I activate them when streaming to the C9.

More importantly (to me) this connection allows me to stream Roon into the C9 (and benefit from Roon DSP) since I have a MicroRendu streamer connected to the Signature via USB. It’s important I think to run the Signature from battery while doing this to avoid triggering the C9 protective mode (I say -I think- because it has not triggered and the Signature runs from its internal battery all the time anyway). I had some problems with triggering with the USB connection upstream until I got an Audiosensibility USB cable with better power-vs signal isolation. Anyway - to your point it all sounds great and the C9 elevates the technicalities of the SIGNATURE.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #5,803 of 6,212
I’ve mostly used the Signature as LO DAC , using RCA DUAL out SE into C9 3.5 mm. Signature retains the smooth character of the original SQ. Connected this way, 3D and XBass on tbe signature are not active since those are analogue elements of the Signature, at least I’m not hearing any difference when I activate them when streaming to the C9.

More importantly (to me) this connection allows me to stream Roon into the C9 (and benefit from Roon DSP) since I have a MicroRendu streamer connected to the Signature via USB. It’s important I think to run the Signature from battery while doing this to avoid triggering the C9 protective mode (I say -I think- because it has not triggered and the Signature runs from its internal battery all the time anyway). I had some problems with triggering with the USB connection upstream until I got an Audiosensibility USB cable with better power-vs signal isolation. Anyway - to your point it all sounds great and the C9 elevates the technicalities of the SIGNATURE.
That's what I like to hear!!! I was a little worried about synergy but you put my mind at ease.
I am familiar with the power protection issue and I believe minirig has the same time of protection circuit as you shouldn't charge them while playing.
Thanks for the reply and I'll let you guys know how it turns out with bother the signature and the Gryphon.

Oct 1, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #5,804 of 6,212
Sony zx300 to c9 and beyerdynamic t1 2nd gen is a very nice combo

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #5,805 of 6,212
I am having a tough time finding a suitable amplification for the DCA Expanse. The Diablo was unable to drive bass driven music at moderate to loud volume without constant bass clipping. I have an HPA4 which drives them fine, but is perhaps too lean for my personal taste. I have a Cayin N6ii and I love the exciting, forward sound signature of that and this is what I am looking to bring to the Expanse in terms of the source. How would the C9 fit in here? Potentially, I could look to partner it with a N8ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back