Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Aug 7, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #4,771 of 6,237
It can happen. When I first got my C9 on 1 April, this was what I found when I was listening on the SS output and then had this surprise when I switched to tube output. This was out of the box...

1628336078170.jpeg
Good positive posting with the intention of ?
Defect happens, and hence the warranty !! This picture look better than the last one lol

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #4,772 of 6,237
Just to update, Andrew will take the defective C9 back for inspection/exchange.
Only issue is the horrible shipping policies from Europe back to USA, specifically if Lithium batteries are involved.
Sending a device like C9 with batteries attached within one week via e.g. UPS will cost you more than 300 Eur...
Potentially now sending without batteries...

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #4,773 of 6,237
Only issue is the horrible shipping policies from Europe back to USA, specifically if Lithium batteries are involved.
Sending a device like C9 with batteries attached within one week via e.g. UPS will cost you more than 300 Eur...
Yepe!! The same as USA going out atm. You better take out the battery, and declare it for repair and parts as in nonfunctional. Otherwise, it would be hell!!!
Here we have @MusicTeck to take care and tackles of small defects like a lose connectors and so on in the states!!

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #4,774 of 6,237
Defect happens, and hence the warranty !! This picture look better than the last one lol

Indeed! Once it came back, touch wood, the nutubes have been going strong... So @FooFighter, I’m sure Andrew @MusicTeck can easily take care of it.

E074CBE5-69AB-4EB3-8FAE-DB5CEB8D6161.jpeg

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #4,775 of 6,237
Yepe!! The same as USA going out atm. You better take out the battery, and declare it for repair and parts as in nonfunctional. Otherwise, it would be hell!!!
Here we have @MusicTeck to take care and tackles of small defects like a lose connectors and so on in the states!!
I actually would love to open it myself and check for any lose connections, but I guess that would void the warranty.

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #4,776 of 6,237
I actually would love to open it myself and check for any lose connections, but I guess that would void the warranty.
That is what I would do, but I also would need confirmations from someone like Andy to give a green light first. Because there could be more, like the tubes works but… the switching transistors is dead , then that would be another story. So, if it is this circumstance, you will need warranty or service schematics to know which one to trace down and repair, which wouldn’t happen LOL

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #4,777 of 6,237

Send it out without the lithium battery. The battery is definitely not part of the problem.

Lithium battery will increase the shipping cost significantly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 7, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #4,778 of 6,237
Send it out without the lithium battery. The battery is definitely not part of the problem.

Lithium battery will increase the shipping cost significantly.
Does it have to go through the dealer, I mean, can it be directly sent to Cayin? Also can I open it up myself and check for any lose connections before sending without voiding the warranty?

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #4,779 of 6,237
Does it have to go through the dealer, I mean, can it be directly sent to Cayin? Also can I open it up myself and check for any lose connections before sending without voiding the warranty?
Usually if the manufacturer approve such, you need to be capable and will be an isolated approval …. Well, just IME

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #4,780 of 6,237
Since the M11Plus LTD arrived, have not brought it out for a spin with the C9. The Difference with the M15 is the M11Plus comes with a balanced LO as well. The M15 had a good SE LO. Thus far, in the short listen, so does the M11 Plus with the balanced LO.

4A43F2E1-8F9F-4D12-A015-AF63F39C81B0.jpeg

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #4,781 of 6,237

Yes, you need to send it back to dealer. If you send it to us directly, there is good chance that you have to pay 20% import tax. Dealer knows the system and they have the original import document to prove that this is a returned item. It doesn't matter how you declare on your waybill, if the Chinese custom office decided to charge you, you don't have an appeal channel.

Yes, if you open the chassis, you'll void the warranty.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 9, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #4,782 of 6,237
To @Andykong, and also @Whitigir and @DarginMahkum: You have been discussing the ”one of the L/R Nutube channels failed completely“ issue. This reminded me of a fact with my C9:

Right out of the box on day one, the brightness of the Nutube greenish-blueish illuminations has been different for L and R. The enclosed photograph tries to capture this, but the brightness difference is larger to the eye than the image shows. The Nutube on the right hand size of the image glows less than the l.h.s.

I cannot hear differences between L and R. A mono signal is dead center, and there are no audible L/R differences e.g. in dynamics or perceived tonality.

I didn‘t worry at all until I read about @FooFighter ‘s channel failure. And I want to keep on without worries.

Anybody out there with an illumination difference?

My C9 is 3.5 months old, purchased new directly from the German importer.

Attachments

• 986B0172-C829-4CF2-8854-FA31F3E3F1F8.jpeg
    986B0172-C829-4CF2-8854-FA31F3E3F1F8.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #4,783 of 6,237
To @Andykong, and also @Whitigir and @DarginMahkum: You have been discussing the ”one of the L/R Nutube channels failed completely“ issue. This reminded me of a fact with my C9:

Right out of the box on day one, the brightness of the Nutube greenish-blueish illuminations has been different for L and R. The enclosed photograph tries to capture this, but the brightness difference is larger to the eye than the image shows. The Nutube on the right hand size of the image glows less than the l.h.s.

I cannot hear differences between L and R. A mono signal is dead center, and there are no audible L/R differences e.g. in dynamics or perceived tonality.

I didn‘t worry at all until I read about @FooFighter ‘s channel failure. And I want to keep on without worries.

Anybody out there with an illumination difference?

My C9 is 3.5 months old, purchased new directly from the German importer.
If the brightness is visually inspected, you should take it to the dealer and ask them ?

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #4,784 of 6,237
I have been reading through threads about the dangers of not carefully using 18650 batteries.

I have few questions and hope folks in this thread could educate me on this (baby steps)

I am assuming I have a C9 fully charged and then run through worst case battery loading (Class A, Tubes. 4.4 mm) for about 4 hours and my battery indicator comes to 25%

1. By this time, it would be quite hot being ran at worst case load. Should I wait for an hour or so for it to cool down before charging back to full ?

2. Lets say, I have a spare battery module with 4 batteries. Can I charge the spare module separately without keeping it inserted in C9 during charging ?

3. Considering the situation as presented in #1, where the C9 frame/chassis is hot from usage, could I just remove the existing module and replace it fully charged spare module, without C9 need to be cooled down. Would the chassis heat affect the spare module batteries if I hot swap ?

4. If I buy say 8-12 orbtronic batteries, will it be ok to fully charge 4 of them using battery module and then keep them in their protective case until I need to swap batteries ? Will it be safe to leave a fully charged 3500 mAh battery in the protective case ?

I would like to receive kind feedback from members on this thread. Thank you !

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #4,785 of 6,237
I have been reading through threads about the dangers of not carefully using 18650 batteries.

I have few questions and hope folks in this thread could educate me on this (baby steps)

I am assuming I have a C9 fully charged and then run through worst case battery loading (Class A, Tubes. 4.4 mm) for about 4 hours and my battery indicator comes to 25%

1. By this time, it would be quite hot being ran at worst case load. Should I wait for an hour or so for it to cool down before charging back to full ?

2. Lets say, I have a spare battery module with 4 batteries. Can I charge the spare module separately without keeping it inserted in C9 during charging ?

3. Considering the situation as presented in #1, where the C9 frame/chassis is hot from usage, could I just remove the existing module and replace it fully charged spare module, without C9 need to be cooled down. Would the chassis heat affect the spare module batteries if I hot swap ?

4. If I buy say 8-12 orbtronic batteries, will it be ok to fully charge 4 of them using battery module and then keep them in their protective case until I need to swap batteries ? Will it be safe to leave a fully charged 3500 mAh battery in the protective case ?

I would like to receive kind feedback from members on this thread. Thank you !
No expert, have been using my C9 for many months now so think I can add some value here for you.

1) I have never had an issue charging immediately after power runs out, after several hours in tube A mode.

2) Do not have a separate module so I leave the battery module in when charging. I do believe you can remove it to charge it if you wish.
I will note when down to just one of the four lights on, I do not think that represents 25% time remaining at least for my unit, when down to one light on, it does not last more than 30 minutes.

3) Never actually tried this, guessing there would be no issue putting a replacement fully charged power module into a C9 that is warm from listening with the former now exhausted power module.

4) Fairly sure I read here earlier, this is okay, just be careful not to mix batteries.
Same batch of 4 stays together, charged together, installed together.
And okay to keep the batteries in the spare power module until needed.

Hope that helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back