Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 5, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #2,671 of 6,212
Those are to go from 4.4mm output to RCA input. Like connecting your DAP to a single ended amp.

You can go BAL to SE, but never the other way around.

Actually I'm not even sure it's safe to do this, pretty sure that connecting a dap balanced output to a single ended cable will cause a short.

It may be possible to go from a single ended output to a 4.4mm input, but there's no advantage...

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #2,672 of 6,212
Actually I'm not even sure it's safe to do this, pretty sure that connecting a dap balanced output to a single ended cable will cause a short.

It may be possible to go from a single ended output to a 4.4mm input, but there's no advantage...
Even as a source and toward an amp, you can not simply go from SE source into Balanced input Amp, unless you are so sure that the Amplifier has the ability to differentiate the Negative signals L- and R-, otherwise it will be shorted within the amplifier balanced stages, and you may ended up burning your input stage

The Balanced toward single ended is only applicable toward Headphones and it adaptor only as the headphones is just a mechanism that make sounds from the signals. When you are talking about electrical devices, it no longer applied , the devices have to have the ability or was designed for such purposes

Usually, if an amp can take SE input and output balanced, then it can and is more likely to be able to differentiate SE sources into Balanced input on it ports as the input stage is usually sharing the same circuit. However, there are also amplifier that separate them and dedicatedly feeding the amp.

you have to make sure what your amp is capable of by contacting your amp manufacturer

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,673 of 6,212
Does anyone auditioned DX300 and N6ii with C9 before? Can you share your thought? I am debating whether to get Dx 300 or N6ii to pair with C9.

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,674 of 6,212
Does anyone auditioned DX300 and N6ii with C9 before? Can you share your thought? I am debating whether to get Dx 300 or N6ii to pair with C9.
Not having DX300 for a comparison, but got N6ii, and if you want to buy it, make sure you get the A02 motherboard version.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #2,676 of 6,212
The Balanced toward single ended is only applicable toward Headphones and it adaptor only as the headphones is just a mechanism that make sounds from the signals. When you are talking about electrical devices, it no longer applied , the devices have to have the ability or was designed for such purposes

Isn't it a really bad idea to plug a 4.4mm male to 3.5mm (single ended) female adaptor into a balanced PO? Thought that would kill it..

It's of course fine to do 3.5 (single ended) male to 4.4 mm female, then plug headphones with 4.4mm male plug into the 4.4mm female..

We might be talking about the same thing.. haha.

---

Oh any anyone who has a EE Zeus XR, before you consider changing headphones, listen to it out of C9 first.

While to me the Utopia is superior (A/B, long term comfort, less fatigue from pressure), while both are from DX300 (balanced) -> C9 (balanced), I'm perfectly happy with the Zeus, at least for 1.5 hours.

---
N6ii and A02 is my preferred choice over dx300 for C9

Just to confirm that this is the case even for offline use (i.e. Mango OS for DX300)?

@Joseph Lin Most impressions I've seen indicate that N6ii with A02 is the best portable source of them all, for C9 - at the moment. May not be the case for long - see: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...rmware-2-6-2021.943221/page-349#post-16279580

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,677 of 6,212
Apr 5, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #2,678 of 6,212
Apr 5, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,679 of 6,212
Apr 5, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,680 of 6,212
Why do you think it is the case? Is DX300 technically better?
N6ii’s UI is a bit outdated and laggy. Cayin should be planning to launch a new Android DAP soon, although that could now take a while cue to the global chip shortage.

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #2,681 of 6,212
Isn't it a really bad idea to plug a 4.4mm male to 3.5mm (single ended) female adaptor into a balanced PO? Thought that would kill it..

It's of course fine to do 3.5 (single ended) male to 4.4 mm female, then plug headphones with 4.4mm male plug into the 4.4mm female..

We might be talking about the same thing.. haha.

---

Oh any anyone who has a EE Zeus XR, before you consider changing headphones, listen to it out of C9 first.

While to me the Utopia is superior (A/B, long term comfort, less fatigue from pressure), while both are from DX300 (balanced) -> C9 (balanced), I'm perfectly happy with the Zeus, at least for 1.5 hours.

---

Just to confirm that this is the case even for offline use (i.e. Mango OS for DX300)?

@Joseph Lin Most impressions I've seen indicate that N6ii with A02 is the best portable source of them all, for C9 - at the moment. May not be the case for long - see: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...rmware-2-6-2021.943221/page-349#post-16279580
To clarify, if your headphones is terminated for Balanced, you can use an adaptor that is female balanced into SE male plug. So you can use it with SE output player, and that is the only scenario that you can versatile doing balanced to SE

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #2,682 of 6,212
To clarify, if your headphones is terminated for Balanced, you can use an adaptor that is female balanced into SE male plug. So you can use it with SE output player, and that is the only scenario that you can versatile doing balanced to SE
I found a caution on Moon Audio that may be helpful;

https://www.moon-audio.com/balanced-adaptors-caution

You may need to type it in, for some reason the link did not work for me, it has not moved though.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2,683 of 6,212

I think this is right.

However, I think I know how 4.4mm to RCA can work - for example:

From: https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/r2r2000-hd-streaming-audio-device.html

1617653989512.png

The source NEEDS to connect ground though, which is not always the case (for example, I'm reasonably sure that the 4.4mm balanced output of the DX300 Amp 11/Amp11 MK2 doesn't connect ground, as tested by @Whitigir). The Hifiman r2r2000 apparently does...

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #2,684 of 6,212
I’m thinking of buying a c9 to partner a hiby r8 or shanling m8. What iems or headphones have people found to have the biggest wow moment with the c9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back