Cavalli/Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum Power Supply Option

Interested in a Wyred 4 Sound's PS-1 Modular Linear Power Supply customized for the Liquid Platinum?

• Yes, count me in...

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Maybe, when I learn more about the unit and its pricing...

Votes: 35 68.6%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 29, 2018 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sahmen

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings Liquid Platinum Enthusiasts, and other interested Head-fiers:

The Good folks at Wyred 4 Sound have indicated that they might be willing to consider building a customized version of their of their PS-1 Modular Linear Power Supply that will match the specs of the Cavalli/Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum. The standard version of the PS-1is pictured below, and its full product profile is available here:
:

https://wyred4sound.com/products/upgrades-mods-accessories/ps-1-modular-linear-power-supply

front-angle_0.jpg
back1_0.jpg
top-600px.jpg

Now being "modular" means that it can come with
up to 4 different power modules, each with a different voltage in order to service up to 4 different components as desired and requested via each order. The idea I floated is that one of the power modules will be customized to match the specs required for operation with the Liquid platinum (36v, at 1.5A)... The remaining three power modules may then be ordered and customized (or not) per each individual order, and depending on each buyer's preferences. It is, of course, possible to order the unit with just one power module, and then to upgrade it later with additional power modules, if and when needed.

This is how the folks at Wyred 4 sound describe the modular system of the PS-1:

"The beauty of the new PS-1 starts with an emphasis on real value: it's modular design allows up to four devices to be powered at once, and they can even be different voltages! The PS-1 has four power zones in back. Each power zone holds a power module. Each power module can be set to one of four voltages (5v, 9v, 12v, 15v) and can power one device. To change the voltage, simply slide out the module, move the internal switch to the new voltage, and slide it back in. The front panel's LED display instantly tells you which zone(s) and voltages are in use. Additional power modules can be purchased as needed, ensuring that now and in the future, you won't have to worry about powering your devices."

Now this thread is meant to suss out the interest of enthusiasts on this forum in order to find out approximately how many might be interested in a possible group-buy. And that is what the Polling is about : again, to get some idea as to approximately how many enthusiasts might be interested in the power supply. Everything at this stage ought to be taken as hypothetical and tentative, and not involving any actual hard commitments.

Please indicate your preference in the poll above with confidence, however tentative your interest might be at this point... We're just looking for a rough idea of how many members might be interested.

Please post any comments you might have about this project below.

No pricing terms have been discussed as yet, although the base price of the standard version of the PS-1 (without any power modules) is $399. The rest remains to be decided, although one should normally expect the pricing to depend on the number and types of power modules that are to be included in each customized order. I am also assuming it might be possible for us to arrange some kind of deal if enough of us express interest in the idea to make the group buy more appealing to them...

I am pasting a copy of my initial correspondence with Wyred 4 Sound below for your information (my own name and e-mail address are redacted for security reasons):

Re_ Form submission from_ Contact Us_Redacted.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 22
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 22
Reserved

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 22
I would seriously consider it, if I could use it to power my Massdrop LCX (30V / 1.25A) and CTH (28V / 1.25A) amps!
Similarly, the Monoprice Cavalli Spark (36V / 1.25A)... I just want to get rid of all those annoying wall warts...

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 22
Interested depending on final cost. However being in Australia will this be an issue (different voltage) 230v

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 22
Looks good. But if the price approaches the cost of the LP, I don't know about the level of serious interest--especially if exact improvements (and levels of them) over stock remain unknown.

Agreed spending close to the price of the lp with the one module Lps would definitely count me out.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 22
Agreed spending close to the price of the lp with the one module Lps would definitely count me out.
Same here and I have a different voltage here in HK too. And would I be able to use this with the Hugo, Pro iCan, Black Label, or somehow the DX200?

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 22
I've been trying to get a Wyred 4 Sound rep on board to address some of the technical and logistical questions that some posters are asking about related issues such as pricing, Non-US voltage requirements, non-USA shipping. Please hang in there.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 22
Update : EJ Sarmento of Wyred 4 sound thinks it might be possible to "build a price savvy ps for products like this by removing all the variables of our PS-1 and also the expensive parts it requires." He just needs a little more time to sort out the specifics. Will keep you updated of course.

In the meantime, I have given him the link to this thread, so please feel free to express your concerns and preferences about this unit as you have been doing, Thanks.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 22
Definately interested in this. It just comes down to cost. If the price is right I would pre-order. Fine with using all of it's capacity to power the Cavalli alone. Keep it under the price of the amp itself and I would be in.

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 22
Definately interested in this. It just comes down to cost. If the price is right I would pre-order. Fine with using all of it's capacity to power the Cavalli alone. Keep it under the price of the amp itself and I would be in.
Good to know. Ej Sarmento of Wyred 4 sound is aware of this page, and I am sure he is watching and would be interested in coming through with a suitable solution, provided he sees enough interest in it to make it worth his while. He is the one who came up with the idea of a "price savvy PS" for this Platinum, and he was serious about it... He still has to make a firm commitment to go ahead with, at which point logistics of procedures of ordering and shipping could be discussed and negotiated, where possible. Still I think nothing will begin to take shape until the Liquid Platinum has been released, and the level of interest in the optional power supply unit can be measured in some way.

EJ Sarmento has the address of this thread, and has the freedom to read it in order to see the number of people expressing interest in the power supply before deciding whether the investment would be worth his while... I am not sure, how he is assessing the poll now, as he is yet to respond to my last email... But for my part, I shall convey any news i hear from him to the forum of course... I just wish more people who are interested could participate in the poll and let their wishes known... It is the only way for an investor/manufacturer like Wyred4sound to judge the level or extent of interest in the product :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 22
Good to know. Ej Sarmento of Wyred 4 sound is aware of this page, and I am sure he is watching and would be interested in coming through with a suitable solution, provided he sees enough interest in it to make it worth his while. He is the one who came up with the idea of a "price savvy PS" for this Platinum, and he was serious about it... He still has to make a firm commitment to go ahead with, at which point logistics of procedures of ordering and shipping could be discussed and negotiations. Still I think nothing will begin to take shape until the Liquid Platinum has been released, and the level interest in the optional power supply unit can be measured in some way.

EJ Sarmento has the address of this thread, and has the freedom to read it in order to see the number of people expressing interest in the power supply before deciding whether the investment would be worth his while... I am not sure... But for my part, I shall convey any news i hear from him to the forum of course... I just wish more people who are interested could participate in the poll and let their wishes known... It is the only way for an investor/manufacturer like Wyred4sound to judge the level or extent of interest in the product :)

There is interest in this in other forums. I'll try to direct some traffic over here so EJ can hopefully read it. I'm sure they'll need some strong interest displayed before they commit to development/production. There is a lot of buzz about this amp and as far as I can tell there are quite a few people from other audio forums interested in it. I would not be wholly surprised to see Monoprice eventually come out with an LPS for it if sales and demand are strong enough. It has gotten them quite a bit of exposure in high end audio forums. This is the most I have ever anticipated a new audio product.

To be honest the W4S PS-1 was the first LPS I looked at to see if it would work with the Cavalli. That 36v is a toughie!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back