Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Apr 30, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #1,951 of 2,966
Was reading the manual, and noticed somthing interesting
After poweron, its best to let warmup the amp for about 15min, although its not mandatory.

Wonder what happens in that warmup period?

The cavalli minions wake up and go to work.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #1,952 of 2,966
Was reading the manual, and noticed somthing interesting
After poweron, its best to let warmup the amp for about 15min, although its not mandatory.

Wonder what happens in that warmup period?

It's the time taken for the smoke to get pumped around all the internal parts of the amplifier.

Some people dispute that smoke makes all electronic components work.

However, it's easily proven by the fact that whenever the smoke leaks out of a device it always stops working 
wink.gif

May 3, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #1,955 of 2,966
  Just a question to Carbon + Ether/Ether C owners do you guys usually listen in low or high gain?

I listen in low gain.

May 3, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,958 of 2,966

I listen in high gain.

MBP → SDragon → Mojo → AQ Sky → LC → HD 800S (WW Platinum)

This all comes down to source volume. IIRC, Scan's Stoner Acoustics DAC has about 50% more output voltage (like 4.5V or so, compared to Mojo's 3V line level). FWIW, 4.5V is a crazy high source level. 

May 3, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,959 of 2,966
Just a question to Carbon + Ether/Ether C owners do you guys usually listen in low or high gain?
I listen to my ether-c's in low gain. What I have found, and others have stated is: Low gain gives a bigger soundstage, high gain has more punch or Prat. Low gain is Pratty enough :) Besides, change is only a push button away. Watch you ears doing that though.

May 3, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #1,960 of 2,966
I listen to my ether-c's in low gain. What I have found, and others have stated is: Low gain gives a bigger soundstage, high gain has more punch or Prat. Low gain is Pratty enough
smily_headphones1.gif
Besides, change is only a push button away. Watch you ears doing that though.

Haha I was asking because I seem to found a tendency to switch the gain up depending on the track. I agree with your general opinion about the difference.

May 3, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,961 of 2,966

This all comes down to source volume. IIRC, Scan's Stoner Acoustics DAC has about 50% more output voltage (like 4.5V or so, compared to Mojo's 3V line level). FWIW, 4.5V is a crazy high source level. 

That has been my thinking>  My Auralic Vega has an output of 4.1V or something like that.  Very hot.

May 3, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,962 of 2,966
  That has been my thinking>  My Auralic Vega has an output of 4.1V or something like that.  Very hot.

The Vega is nice! Oh yeah. That's about twice the voltage of many sources. Big difference there.

May 3, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #1,964 of 2,966

Doesn't the Vega have a pot?

Yes I run it at 95 with the LC and at 70 when using the WA5.  That gives me a little room with the LC to adjust using the remote.

May 3, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #1,965 of 2,966
Well, here goes nothing :)

I just pulled the trigger on the LC and now begins my transition to a new system and a new lineup of headphones...

For those of you with a sympathetic ear and some time on your hands, here is my quick rant on my journey and recent struggles:

I currently have a bunch of low to upper mid-fi headphones and the Gustard stack to drive them, along with a few Dragonflies and a Meridian Explorer. I have not been all that happy for a while now and searching hard on how to change things up in a big way. I know that I need at least a couple of options regarding headphones for changing moods or just giving my ears and head a break after a few hours with something that fits and feels just different enough provide some relief. The big challenge has been finding a collection of components that should work well enough together while also providing a taste of true end game performance.

Options I have been researching:

1) DAP with a HEX and then backed up with a few other really efficient headphones like a Nighthawk, PM-2 or PM-3, etc...
2) Mojo with a HEX or Ether and other options similar to above
3) Gimby > Mjo2 > HD800S or Ether, and then ???
4) ??? > LC > HD800S or Ether and then backed up by EL-8 Open (I think this one needs just a bit more than the typical DAP but probably great on a Mojo), Nighthawk, PM-2 or 3, etc...

I am obviously going with Option #4 above, and after a lot of back and forth on various forums I am also just going to go for the HD800S despite my very rocky relationship with my my HD700.

So what is my rationale? And I am interested in hearing any pushback or alternatives as that will certainly help me and possibly others.

First of all, I am confident the LC gets me as close to an end game amp as I will want to go and gives me the low footprint on my desktop that I would like to see. I like that it is SS but still somewhat warm and smooth, that it is a bit unique/boutique/niche in the grand scheme of things, and seems to do really well with a variety of headphones but most importantly will do justice to the HD800S and give me a world class headphone experience.

I happen to still have a NAD D 1050 sitting around, so I will use this for a while and see how the DAC market continues to evolve. The D 1050 will provide even more bass help to the HD800S while still being as good as most DACs in other respects though clearly not a TOTL contender. Kind of cool that it has balanced output but I know that is not all that important to the LC.

The nighthawk is my safety headphone, very light, comfortable, speaker like and great bass (more than enough for me) in case the HD800S leaves me wanting a bit for pop music and will be the late night headphone when I don't feel like having every detail put in front of me by the HD800S. It will do well out of a Dragonfly and I think will sound great out of the LC as well.

I must have just gotten lucky because my particular EL-8 Open has a very reasonably behaved upper mid through upper treble, no complaints here and given all my other headphones I would definitely know it if something was off. I like them a bit more than the HE-560 tour demo I tried out. Yes, I would probably rather have an Ether or Ether C, but these will do until any one of the planar companies come out with the next big thing and from all the feedback I have read I think the LC will handle most any planar headphone quite well.

So that's my story and I am sticking to it. I will hang onto my EL-8 and Dragonfly 1.2, sell everything else, buy the nighthawks, then later take delivery on the LC and then once I have spent a bunch of time with those two headphones and the LC, bring on a set of HD800S and see if that takes everything to a whole new level. A little further down the road, maybe an AK300 for some travel options since the EL-8 folds flat and maybe I add a PM-3 by then as well. Hopefully I can contain my side grade and up grade sickness much better with this new plan. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back