Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Apr 24, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #1,891 of 2,966
Is it easy to replace the battery on the Mojo? Or do you have to send it off to have it changed? If you can change it yourself I personally wouldn't have a problem using it on the desktop if I left it charging all the time.

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,892 of 2,966
Is it easy to replace the battery on the Mojo? Or do you have to send it off to have it changed? If you can change it yourself I personally wouldn't have a problem using it on the desktop if I left it charging all the time.

Better to ask in the Mojo thread (or read the third post in the Mojo thread), but since I mentioned it here earlier I'll answer.

To replace the Mojo battery you need to take the Mojo to a Chord dealer and it will be a simple swap as it's connected with a pin connector. Like I said, they had the battery specially made with 15Wh (that's Watt hours) and extensive thermal tolerances and you won't be able to find the same quality battery at that size elsewhere. 3 years development for a battery specifically for one device... I'd stick with Chord's solution. They say it's expected to last 10 years or more under normal conditions, but we'll have to see.

Apologies for the off topic. :wink_face:

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,893 of 2,966
I'm starting to rethink my rig in such a way to keep the LC as the amp, but then I need a DAC. Is the mojo the best DAC available for under $600? I wonder if chord will make a desktop stand alone version of the mojo DAC. If they came out with a $300 mojo DAC, that would really change the game, and be a perfect companion to the LC. Given that is not likely, any other DACs worth considering in the $600 range, assuming the LC as the amp?

Emotiva DC1

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,894 of 2,966
I'm starting to rethink my rig in such a way to keep the LC as the amp, but then I need a DAC. Is the mojo the best DAC available for under $600? I wonder if chord will make a desktop stand alone version of the mojo DAC. If they came out with a $300 mojo DAC, that would really change the game, and be a perfect companion to the LC. Given that is not likely, any other DACs worth considering in the $600 range, assuming the LC as the amp?

Emotiva DC1

Thanks. There will be one at the Albuquerque meet this Saturday, so I'll be sure to give it a good audition.

As for the mojo as a DAC for LC, sounds like "line level" is just a volume, so if I manually set the volume to the designed level, at least that should be remembered.

Thanks all.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,895 of 2,966

IMO no, nothing comes close in Mojo's price range. The analogue output on the Mojo is basically six small transistors instead of 3 large ones in the Hugo, fully discrete, biased in class A (with no opamps), with the same power output as Hugo, and even better THD specs (0.00017% @3V). The analogue out is extremely simple with very little to it and extremely transparent. I highly doubt you'll save much by removing the analogue out. The Mojo pairs very well with the Liquid Carbon and is tuned slightly smoother (warmer) than the Hugo given its target portable use, but yeah, there's the battery... Ultimately I don't think Chord would erode their 2Cute sales quite yet (even though the Mojo is much better spec'd).

What's the advantage of the 2cute over the mojo as a pure desktop DAC?

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,896 of 2,966

Emotiva DC1

The DAC I am using: Stoner Acoustics EGD. Perfect combo. ESS9018 and balanced out!

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,897 of 2,966

Emotiva DC1

The DAC I am using: Stoner Acoustics EGD. Perfect combo. ESS9018 and balanced out!

I was looking at that weeks ago when you last mentioned it. Any idea when it will be forsale? Are you aware of any reviews?

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,898 of 2,966
I've used the Mojo on my desktop system with great success. Regarding the volume setting the Mojo remembers where it was left off, so that's not an issue for me, whether I run it at "line" or some other level, as when you turn it on it just reverts back to where it was. As for the battery, just leaving it plugged in all the time hasn't been an issue - I love the fact that they designed it for that use case, having two USB ports (one for signal and one for power) and no discernible difference in SQ either way IME. I'm not terribly concerned about the battery, as I believe they said it was rated for 10 years worth of cycles or something crazy. 

As for the Mojo's FPGA DAC versus and R2R DAC, I've been playing with the Soekris DAC1101 for a week or two and the differences at a high level are almost exactly as people have been talking about in comparing the Mojo and the DAC19. The Mojo has more detailed image resolution IMHO and is no where near as "hard" as a DS DAC, while the DAC1101 has more of that natural/vinyl type of sound (which is why people love R2R's) but gives up some fine definition. I don't find one specifically better than the other, but different. The FPGA as executed by Chord beats out almost all DS DAC's I've heard, and is a steal for $600, while the DAC1101 is also a great deal IMO for $650, especially given the fact that it is transportable (unlike the DAC19). Both the Mojo and DAC1101 give you a lot of options in terms of portability, which might be good for some, but not for others. 

Cheers 

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,899 of 2,966
I use the Geek Out 1K for my computer DAC, when I'm not near the computer, use the Pono's line out. Both very good sounding with the LC (neither balanced, which, as has been stated ad nauseum, doesn't require a balanced input.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,900 of 2,966
Thanks. There will be one at the Albuquerque meet this Saturday, so I'll be sure to give it a good audition.

As for the mojo as a DAC for LC, sounds like "line level" is just a volume, so if I manually set the volume to the designed level, at least that should be remembered.

Thanks all.

You talk about setting the line level like it's some complex process. You just turn it on by holding down all three buttons. Not rocket science. I could probably train my cat to do it.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #1,902 of 2,966
It's my paranoia.

I don't want to charge it when it dies in the middle of listening. I don't use battery powered devices plugged in all the time as I've had a few battery powered devices die prematurely in the past after leaving them plugged in all the time for months on end. When unplugged they would only last ~1hr. I'm not saying that's going to happen with the Mojo, I'm saying I'm being cautious. Lithium batteries are typically stressed when plugged in and at near full voltage all the time. The Mojo stops charging at 8.4V and tops up the battery when it reaches 8.2V. That's near full enough for me to not want to leave it plugged in all the time.

I should re-iterate that Chord has developed the Mojo's battery over 3 years specifically for the Mojo and they say it's fine to leave it plugged in all the time. Like I said, I'm just being overly cautious.

I too had to think thru the best way to use  Mojo. I resolved for myself, like you, not to charge Mojo while using it. Since its on the desktop, and my use habit didn’t have me using it for 5 straight hours, when I have a long break I just turn it off and charge it - even though it won’t be completely charged when I turn it back on. So far I have run it down to close to empty only once. I’m not listening to music all the time- after a while my mind gets tired. Then at the end of the day I charge it over night. 

So far, over all these months, I haven’t noticed any unusual heat or even a lessening of the play time yet. And my use/charge cycle has become more or less routine.

Almost all of my battery use is rechargeable over the last few years. Many of the batteries are lithium which seem to have good use-life, Chord says Mojo is next gen technology so Im not too concerned.

MBP → SDragon → Mojo → AQ Sky → LC → HD 800S (WW Platinum)

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,903 of 2,966
One thing i noticed with different pairings along side LC,

is that LC is very transparent and has a relaxed sound naturally,

but being very transparent allows it to take the basic signature of the source or dac and build upon,

when i paired it with the x5 > idsd micro > LC , it showed some aggressiveness in the highs with more details and better bass due to the idsd, but directly paired with an x5 it gives a more relaxed sound signature.. LC paired with ZX2 even gave more relaxed and warmer presentation than with x5.

while all setups sounded awesome through LC, i think its more about preferred signature when choosing a source to pair with LC.

just an opinion !

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,905 of 2,966

Yes, but the manuL is clear that it's not remembered. Also sounds like line out mode is just a volume preset, so just manually setting the volume to the desired level would work.

Still curious what the difference between the mojo as a DAC and the 2cute

Users who are viewing this thread

Back