Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Mar 5, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,652 of 2,966
As someone waiting for the LCD-XC to get here but thinking maybe one of the Ethers would've been a wiser choice, would love to have that expanded upon.

Bass, the XC has very prominent bass. The Ether C sounds good, but the bass is much more subtle. The weight difference is substantial too. Miss and highs I can't say much on, the meet conditions were too loud, even with closed phones.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #1,653 of 2,966
At the price of the AK120ii, you should be looking at the DAC-19 or GMB, not the BMB.  I haven't had a chance to dig into the BMB at all (I've heard it at loud shows, so same problem as you), but I've been reading some mixed things about it.  If you want R2R done at the level of the AK DACs, you might want to step up from it.

Good point, and maybe a good argument to just be happy with the AK. Sheldaze had an LC on a black GMB and while it might have sounded good, the size difference was enormous.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,654 of 2,966
Bass, the XC has very prominent bass. The Ether C sounds good, but the bass is much more subtle. The weight difference is substantial too. Miss and highs I can't say much on, the meet conditions were too loud, even with closed phones.

And that's where the Audeze variance kicks in. My XC doesn't have very prominent bass, compared with other XC's. Mine's down about 5 dB compared to the mids and treble when I look at other graphs.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #1,655 of 2,966

I own the LCD-XC's that @Serenitty listened to during the meet. I really liked the Ether C's midrange. I feel that the XC's upper midrange / lower treble is slightly accentuated. The Ether C's sounded more natural to me, albeit with less bass kick (at least when compared to my pair of XC's). However I felt that bass extension was about the same.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,656 of 2,966
I've heard the XC several times at shows and they've never impressed me.  They sound nothing like the awesome LCD-X and they are the heaviest headphone around that isn't the Abyss.  The Ether C, on the other hand, is super light and impressed me with its sound immediately.  Honestly, the only things they have in common (in my mind) are the closed cups, the planar drivers, and the price tag.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #1,658 of 2,966
The Mojo and the LC play quite well together. It's easy to grab the Mojo from my setup and hit the road with it.

Yup, and you have the ETHER (C?) connected (with the DUM cable?) as well. Perfect sound.

:beerchug:

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #1,659 of 2,966
Yup, and you have the ETHER (C?) connected (with the DUM cable?) as well. Perfect sound.
beerchug.gif

Ether, yeah. Sadly I don't own the C. And that's indeed the early version of the DUM cable. Stiff and unwieldy at times, but it sounds awesome.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #1,660 of 2,966
Good point, and maybe a good argument to just be happy with the AK. Sheldaze had an LC on a black GMB and while it might have sounded good, the size difference was enormous.

And I wish I had known you were interested in hearing Mojo. It was sitting in the box 
tongue.gif

Next meet though, definitely...

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #1,663 of 2,966
I am new to these forums and have a question about the Liquid Carbon. I currently have a my Liquid Carbon running with balanced cables from my Lumin A1 network player as a source and balanced headphone cables to my EtherC's . If I was to swich to a dac with single ended outputs and run a balanced cable to the Liquid Carbon from my preamp would I be still getting the best experience from my Cavalli headphone amp without a complete balanced path from source to headphones ? 

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #1,664 of 2,966
  I am new to these forums and have a question about the Liquid Carbon. I currently have a my Liquid Carbon running with balanced cables from my Lumin A1 network player as a source and balanced headphone cables to my EtherC's . If I was to swich to a dac with single ended outputs and run a balanced cable to the Liquid Carbon from my preamp would I be still getting the best experience from my Cavalli headphone amp without a complete balanced path from source to headphones ? 

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!

The LC is somewhat special in that it converts all SE inputs to balanced before amplifying the signal.  That means you can get all the benefits of balanced amplification when using an SE input.  

The question on whether or not you need balanced output from your DAC to get all the benefits of going "fully balanced" is... well I'll call it subjective.  Some people are big believers in it and others not so much.  I use an SE DAC and I love it.  I've also used a balanced DAC where I couldn't tell the difference between balanced and SE on the LC.  I've also used a balanced DAC where the balanced output sounded noticeably better than the SE output (with the LC).  

At the end of the day, when using the LC, how good your DAC is will be more important that whether it's balanced or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back