Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Jan 22, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,426 of 2,966
I've been using the Liquid Carbon with my HD800 single ended and it sounded great. Just last week my balanced cables came in and I was pretty excited to hear balanced for the first time. As I was listening, I noticed a big difference from the stock cable to balanced. The difference was pretty disappointing. Most songs I listened to felt restricted and muzzled.I thought it was the amp but it sounded the same with another LC and a Rag. In the end, the balanced cable I got wasn't good. So now I'm out to find another balanced cable... I guess I'll never know what balanced LC will sound like for awhile
frown.gif

Mind telling us which brand of cable you bought?

The balanced output from the LC, as I'm sure you've read, is generally considered the better connection. Though I've also read that the original HD800 cable is quite good. My original cable works, but is kinked in such a way that it likely will not work after frequent use. So my question - what cables did you buy, is more to ask, did you get the same cable that I bought two of - one for balanced and one to replace my original unbalanced.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,427 of 2,966
Mind telling us which brand of cable you bought?

The balanced output from the LC, as I'm sure you've read, is generally considered the better connection. Though I've also read that the original HD800 cable is quite good. My original cable works, but is kinked in such a way that it likely will not work after frequent use. So my question - what cables did you buy, is more to ask, did you get the same cable that I bought two of - one for balanced and one to replace my original unbalanced.
I bought BTG Audio 8-strand SPC cables. What brand did you buy? I was just planning to get the original sennhesier one or moon audio black dragons.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #1,428 of 2,966
I bought BTG Audio 8-strand SPC cables. What brand did you buy? I was just planning to get the original sennhesier one or moon audio black dragons.

MassDrop sourced ZY HIFI Cable(s).
The original cables are excellent, though a little expensive. I've been happy with cables from Moon Audio, though strictly bought digital thus far.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #1,429 of 2,966
MassDrop sourced ZY HIFI Cable(s).
The original cables are excellent, though a little expensive. I've been happy with cables from Moon Audio, though strictly bought digital thus far.
I would've gotten ZY cables but I missed the drop a month late. I did hear good things about them. I most likely am going to get moon audio cables just because I am not a fan of the lengthy stock ones.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #1,430 of 2,966
I would've gotten ZY cables but I missed the drop a month late. I did hear good things about them. I most likely am going to get moon audio cables just because I am not a fan of the lengthy stock ones.

They're good people - met them at a meet about a year ago.
Look them up, and talk to them. They have many options and can perhaps taylor the sound a little to your liking. Each kind of cable does something a little different.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,431 of 2,966
They're good people - met them at a meet about a year ago.
Look them up, and talk to them. They have many options and can perhaps taylor the sound a little to your liking. Each kind of cable does something a little different.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I was looking on their website, and they offer a lot! I'll probably shoot them an email later on.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,432 of 2,966
Line out.

Mscott58, have you played around with line out volume from the Mojo any further? I calculate (roughly, based on the little I know) that 3.6v would be needed to fully drive the LC, but even with the HE-6s I've been using most, at line out I am not getting much above 11 with rock stuff and 1-2 on classical. Mostly casual listening at 9-10. I feel like turning the Mojo 3 clicks down from line out and turning up the LC gives a bit warmer sound.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #1,433 of 2,966
I've been using the Liquid Carbon with my HD800 single ended and it sounded great. Just last week my balanced cables came in and I was pretty excited to hear balanced for the first time. As I was listening, I noticed a big difference from the stock cable to balanced. The difference was pretty disappointing. Most songs I listened to felt restricted and muzzled.I thought it was the amp but it sounded the same with another LC and a Rag. In the end, the balanced cable I got wasnt good. So now I'm out to find another balanced cable... I guess I'll never know what balanced LC will sound like for awhile
frown.gif

Try the Norne Audio Draug v2 cable. Quite a few people have that combo and feel that it improves bass slam and overall tonality.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,437 of 2,966
Mscott58, have you played around with line out volume from the Mojo any further? I calculate (roughly, based on the little I know) that 3.6v would be needed to fully drive the LC, but even with the HE-6s I've been using most, at line out I am not getting much above 11 with rock stuff and 1-2 on classical. Mostly casual listening at 9-10. I feel like turning the Mojo 3 clicks down from line out and turning up the LC gives a bit warmer sound.

I turn the output on the Hugo down as well. If nothing else, it gives me more "play" in the volume knob on the LC, allowing for easier and more exact volume adjustments. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,439 of 2,966

Quote:
The reviews of the draug v2 are all positive. I might have to consider it. And it looks really nice too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love my Draug v2 and Draug v2 adapter for my LCD-X.  Trevor does incredibly fine work.  The Draug is very labor intensive to make. Be prepared for a lengthy build time.  Mine was approximately 45 days from order to delivery.  For me it was worth the wait.
happy_face1.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,440 of 2,966
Use a similar set up for HEK/LC with the Norne Zoetic cable, terminated like yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back