Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 23, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #782 of 2,966
Ok, men arrived this afternoon and has been burning in ever since (2 hours towards gazillion).

Just briefly plugged my LCD-3f in, rich midrange, nice bass pitch, a little grain on some vocals but pretty impressive. I'll let her burn in over Christmas and try my HD800 briefly next week.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and a splendid new year to all!

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #784 of 2,966
When I first tried it, it sounded good but inferior to my Auralic Taurus. 

After a few days straight of burn in, it now sounds at least as good as the much more expensive Taurus but a different flavor of awesome. 

Tested with MrSpeakers Ether and LH Labs Pulse Infinity DAC. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #785 of 2,966
I had 180-200 hours burn in. I think the amp is brighter than it was when new. And brighter than it needs to be. I also think it 'rocked' a little harder. Perhaps it has more finesse.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #786 of 2,966
I had 180-200 hours burn in. I think the amp is brighter than it was when new. And brighter than it needs to be. I also think it 'rocked' a little harder. Perhaps it has more finesse.

I haven't noticed it getting brighter at all at just under 150 hours. In fact, one of the most amazing things to me is how it manages to present so much detail without excessive energy in the treble region. Even my Grado's didn't get harsh, where on the Benchmark they can be unbearable.

YMMV, and all that!

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #787 of 2,966
What is cool is the tons of impressions pouring in. I feel like the Carbon is a good amp. So far it only has a tad more warmth in the lower mids and doesn;t change the sound sig much of the Pulse xfi but it is a better sounding amp than the xfi headphone out. Short listen says its a bit more dynamic and better at revealing dynamics a little. But that is SE vs SE and I don't have anything balanced YET
Why not add a pic.  

You really missing out, I was in that boat for about 2 weeks, and frankly I wasn't impressed with the LC as an SE amp, my Ican was easily besting it for less than half the price. Once I got my balanced cable for my Z7 things changed quite a bit. It's clear this amp was made for balanced use only, and that's the only way i would recommend to use it in a long term as well. As always YMMV.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #788 of 2,966
Since I have had my Liquid Carbon for weeks now, It could just be me as well. I let my Master 11 go 12 hours with my hd800's (not with me wearing them) and then thought the Master 11 sounded brighter. And in the end, no it wasn't. But for me, yes burn-in works on many things. It's real. And it's for the birds. Just like leather boots, an acoustic guitar or your handmade item, it's best to let them burn in through natural use. There is a vibration device that you can attach to the soundboard of your acoustic guitar to break it in. Yes it works. The guitar definitely sounds bigger after applying this device for a few hours. But the effect goes away if you do not apply regular treatments. Perhaps electronics suffer from relapse as well. My Liquid Carbon's brightness calmed down a bit and took the edge back off the treble. I will say my lcd2-f's have never sounded this good before. They are actually revealing some things not noticed before with my hd800's. And that is worth the amp right there. But for me, Burn-in is the Bunk. So all you owners now have permission to not burn-in your amp but just enjoy it. No no that's not right either. Burn-in is part of the enjoyment. I'm off to run the Ayre CD and see what that does. It really works too.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #789 of 2,966
Since I have had my Liquid Carbon for weeks now, It could just be me as well. I let my Master 11 go 12 hours with my hd800's (not with me wearing them) and then thought the Master 11 sounded brighter. And in the end, no it wasn't. But for me, yes burn-in works on many things. It's real. And it's for the birds. Just like leather boots, an acoustic guitar or your handmade item, it's best to let them burn in through natural use. There is a vibration device that you can attach to the soundboard of your acoustic guitar to break it in. Yes it works. The guitar definitely sounds bigger after applying this device for a few hours. But the effect goes away if you do not apply regular treatments. Perhaps electronics suffer from relapse as well. My Liquid Carbon's brightness calmed down a bit and took the edge back off the treble. I will say my lcd2-f's have never sounded this good before. They are actually revealing some things not noticed before with my hd800's. And that is worth the amp right there. But for me, Burn-in is the Bunk. So all you owners now have permission to not burn-in your amp but just enjoy it. No no that's not right either. Burn-in is part of the enjoyment. I'm off to run the Ayre CD and see what that does. It really works too.

Ha!

You just reminded me why this hobby is so fun and exciting!

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #790 of 2,966
Because there is such a thing as a burn in CD? :D

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #791 of 2,966
I'm loving the LC and Audio Gd D19 with my HD800.  It never sounded so good. It has bass and full mids. Balanced is definitely the way to go.
As for my Grado GH1 (SE), it did not pair so well.  The Grado GH1 sounded much better on my Lyr 2 and Gustard H10.  I'm sure the Grado GH1 might sound better balanced but I do not want to recable them.  On the other hand, the HD800 sounded so engaging and lively with the LC, that I had no desire for the Grado and have sold it.
The HD800 with LC out Grado'ed the Grado. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #793 of 2,966
Warning: Noob question
When burning-in without the headphones connected, does the position of the volume pot even matter ? If it does where should it be set ?

Around 11-12 o'clock

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #794 of 2,966
Warning: Noob question
When burning-in without the headphones connected, does the position of the volume pot even matter ? If it does where should it be set ?

It should not matter, if worried you can just turn the volume, to the 11 a clock position and let your amp burn in.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #795 of 2,966
It should not matter, if worried you can just turn the volume, to the 11 a clock position and let your amp burn in.

so we don't need the headphone to be connected for the burn in?

same result or doesn't matter? 

will connect mine to an ipad (being charged) and keep the amp playing without a headphone while the vol is at 11 clock

good idea?  i hope so :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back