Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 12, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #556 of 2,966

Peter, I know this is going to sound crazy.  But if you ever get a chance to go balanced out into your K10, lemme know what you think.  
smile.gif

Balanced into the K10's sounds great! No noise (at the low gain setting of course). I have the ALO Tinsel terminated in 2.5mm TRRS and use one of Trevor's Norne Audio 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapters and it works very well. Cheers 

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #557 of 2,966

Peter, I know this is going to sound crazy.  But if you ever get a chance to go balanced out into your K10, lemme know what you think.  
smile.gif

Balanced into the K10's sounds great! No noise (at the low gain setting of course). I have the ALO Tinsel terminated in 2.5mm TRRS and use one of Trevor's Norne Audio 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapters and it works very well. Cheers 

Ah dammit, you spoiled it for him!  
biggrin.gif
  Now the secret of there being little-to-no-noise into CIEMs via balanced out is, um, out!

Does anyone want to start a new thread for the purposes of finding the best balanced IEM cables?

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #558 of 2,966
I was bored tonight, so I hooked up the Liquid Carbon to my Yggdrasil and used this combo to power my ETHER. The Ether sounded so nice. The bass was powerful, yet had such control that in never impacted upon the mids. The mids sound sweet, vocalist like Zappa and Kate Bush sound phenomenal. The highs are rock solid and do not fatigue one with annoying sybilance. The soundstage is pretty wide on this Cavalli amp. The level of revealing detail is pretty good, and thus the soundstage is nice and holographic. Thus Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon sounds great through this set up. I am a bit overwhelmed with all of my amps. But this weekend I hope to do a comparison between my Liquid Crimson and Liquid Glass.

How would you compare the LC to your Ragnarok, both through the Yggdrasil? Obviously the Ragnarok is 3x the price with way more power, but I'm curious as to how the sound compares? 
beerchug.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #559 of 2,966
Obviously the Ragnarok is 3x the price with way more power, but I'm curious as to how the sound compares? 
beerchug.gif

LOL!  
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #560 of 2,966
How would you compare the LC to your Ragnarok, both through the Yggdrasil? Obviously the Ragnarok is 3x the price with way more power, but I'm curious as to how the sound compares? 
beerchug.gif

How about a LC againist a Asgard or a lyr2?

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #561 of 2,966

Wouldn't it be too loud for the K10 balanced, even at low gain?

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #562 of 2,966

Ah dammit, you spoiled it for him!  
biggrin.gif
  Now the secret of there being little-to-no-noise into CIEMs via balanced out is, um, out!

Does anyone want to start a new thread for the purposes of finding the best balanced IEM cables?

@warrenpchi I have a Kobiconn terminated Moon Audio Silver Dragon arriving tomorrow (-:

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #563 of 2,966
You're not connecting via RCA? Any particular reason for this?

The 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable is the shortest I have. As the LC SE input shares RCA and 3.5mm connectors, and the Hugo's outputs are all paralleled anyway, I doubt it will affect the sound. I do, however, have some cable coming from Straightwire to make up a very short RCA to RCA cable. As far as i'm concerned, short generally trumps any marginal quality differences in cables.

Next step will be a short USB A to USB Micro. Doubt I'll hear a difference, but it will look neater (-:

Cheers,

Peter.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #564 of 2,966

The Liquid Carbon is a great sounding semi portable amp. Its bass is nice and tight, that does not leak into the mids. The mids are smooth and pretty revealing. The highs are spot on. However as nice as the Liquid Carbon is, it still does not beat the Ragnarock. The bass on the Ragnarock has far more revealing and impactfull bass. Furthermore the mids are sweet and lush as well as detailed and so natural sounding. Furthermore the highs are spot on perfect, and the micro detail helps make the music so natural sounding. Furthermore the Schiit Audio house sound is a bit different than the Cavalli house sound. The Liquid Carbon is a great amp, that sounds extraordinary, for its size and price. And if this plunky little amp can sound so fine, it makes me wonder how the Liquid Gold must sound.:D

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #565 of 2,966
How would you compare the LC to your Ragnarok, both through the Yggdrasil? Obviously the Ragnarok is 3x the price with way more power, but I'm curious as to how the sound compares? :beerchug:

How about a LC againist a Asgard or a lyr2?

I think I have written a small comparison on the Asgard 2 and the MJ2 using LISST tubes. If I were to rank my solid state amps it would be: Ragnarock> Liquid Carbon > Lycan> Asgard 2. I just do not like comparing solid-state amps to tube amps, even using the LISST tubes.

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #566 of 2,966
I was bored tonight, so I hooked up the Liquid Carbon to my Yggdrasil and used this combo to power my ETHER. The Ether sounded so nice. The bass was powerful, yet had such control that in never impacted upon the mids. The mids sound sweet, vocalist like Zappa and Kate Bush sound phenomenal. The highs are rock solid and do not fatigue one with annoying sybilance. The soundstage is pretty wide on this Cavalli amp. The level of revealing detail is pretty good, and thus the soundstage is nice and holographic. Thus Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon sounds great through this set up. I am a bit overwhelmed with all of my amps. But this weekend I hope to do a comparison between my Liquid Crimson and Liquid Glass.

This is the reason I bought the Liquid Carbon - when I could barely tear myself away from the demo setup at a Nashville meet (Auralic Vega > Liquid Carbon > HiFiMan HE-1000).

The setup was auditory crack 
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #568 of 2,966
Dec 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #569 of 2,966
  How does the Liquid Carbon compare to the Woo WA5?

I love my LC but the WA5 is an endgame amp.  I heard both at the spring Nashville meet.  Dan Clark brought both to the meet to demo his ETHER phones.  Everything the LC does the WA5 does appreciably better.  My experience with high end amps is limited but the WA 5 is the best thing I have ever heard.  Dan has since had Jack Woo build him a custom WA5 to use as a demo platform.  Now a word of caution.  The WA5 Dan brought to Nashville had every upgrade available and probably more.  Don't know about a stock WA5/LC comparison.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #570 of 2,966
  I love my LC but the WA5 is an endgame amp.  I heard both at the spring Nashville meet.  Dan Clark brought both to the meet to demo his ETHER phones.  Everything the LC does the WA5 does appreciably better.  My experience with high end amps is limited but the WA 5 is the best thing I have ever heard.  Dan has since had Jack Woo build him a custom WA5 to use as a demo platform.  Now a word of caution.  The WA5 Dan brought to Nashville had every upgrade available and probably more.  Don't know about a stock WA5/LC comparison.

I believe he was being sarcastic in light of some of the previous questions.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back