Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Nov 15, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #31 of 2,966
  Let me preface further observations by saying I am a 65 year old product of the Rock & Roll era, with many high decibel concerts under my belt. For that reason, my hearing, especially in the high frequency region leaves something to be desired. I have several other Amps and a small collection of HPs. But the LC is my first Amp with balanced capabilities.

That said, my first listening session with the LC was using my HIFIMAN HE400S headphones in SE configuration. Using the RCA unbalanced inputs out of my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC. 
Directly out of the box, the LC sounded as good, but no better, than the other amps I own. I had no preconceived notions that I would find otherwise. I am of the opinion that any well designed Amp, in this day and age, will sound sonically transparent. I found this to be the case with the LC.

My second listening session featured the LC driving my Sennheiser HD650 headphones in balanced configuration, using cables purchased on amazon. My initial opinion, as stated in my posting above, is that the 650s sound a bit more lively in the balanced configuration driven by the LC. This is a very unscientific finding, and could very well be due to "wishful thinking" on my part. 

My reasoning in purchasing the LC was to provide balanced capability in driving my HD650s, HD800s, and soon my HE400S in balanced configuration. I have read the pros and cons of balanced topology and want to reach my own conclusions on the subject. For me, it's very early in the game . So, the jury is still out on the matter.

Well written. Recent events have torn me away from a strict Objectivist point of view though, and I'm looking forward to experiencing the Cavalli vs. my Burson and Benchmark.  I'm really looking forward to the experience!

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #32 of 2,966
  Well written. Recent events have torn me away from a strict Objectivist point of view though, and I'm looking forward to experiencing the Cavalli vs. my Burson and Benchmark.  I'm really looking forward to the experience!

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself. 

I've switched over to my balanced HD800 and am in the process of rediscovering Sophie Milman.

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #33 of 2,966
  Let me preface further observations by saying I am a 65 year old product of the Rock & Roll era, with many high decibel concerts under my belt. For that reason, my hearing, especially in the high frequency region leaves something to be desired. I have several other Amps and a small collection of HPs. But the LC is my first Amp with balanced capabilities.

That said, my first listening session with the LC was using my HIFIMAN HE400S headphones in SE configuration. Using the RCA unbalanced inputs out of my Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC. 
Directly out of the box, the LC sounded as good, but no better, than the other amps I own. I had no preconceived notions that I would find otherwise. I am of the opinion that any well designed Amp, in this day and age, will sound sonically transparent. I found this to be the case with the LC.

My second listening session featured the LC driving my Sennheiser HD650 headphones in balanced configuration, using cables purchased on amazon. My initial opinion, as stated in my posting above, is that the 650s sound a bit more lively in the balanced configuration driven by the LC. This is a very unscientific finding, and could very well be due to "wishful thinking" on my part. 

My reasoning in purchasing the LC was to provide balanced capability in driving my HD650s, HD800s, and soon my HE400S in balanced configuration. I have read the pros and cons of balanced topology and want to reach my own conclusions on the subject. For me, it's very early in the game . So, the jury is still out on the matter.

So do I take it your impressions so far in both balanced and unbalanced is, its only marginally better than your current amps? Just out of interest what amp are you comparing it to?

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #34 of 2,966

So do I take it your impressions so far in both balanced and unbalanced is, its only marginally better than your current amps? Just out of interest what amp are you comparing it to?

Keep in mind that the LC is my only balanced amp, but yes, I hear little difference. Of course YMMV.

See my profile for a list of my equipment.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #35 of 2,966

Keep in mind that the LC is my only balanced amp, but yes, I hear little difference. Of course YMMV.

See my profile for a list of my equipment.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want an amp that has minimal difference so I cancelled mine. I don't need multiple amps so Im sticking with what I have. I think I just dodged a 599 dollar bullet thanks again.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #36 of 2,966
Thanks for the advice. I don't want an amp that has minimal difference so I cancelled mine. I don't need multiple amps so Im sticking with what I have. I think I just dodged a 599 dollar bullet thanks again.

Off of one review? Sounds like you might have been looking for a reason to cancel. It's cool, your choice of course. Just trying to align with the volume of highly positive experiences with the LC (including my multiple times with it). Cheers

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #37 of 2,966
Off of one review? Sounds like you might have been looking for a reason to cancel. It's cool.

Not really. I was looking for someone to say wow this is the best amp at 599 and its better because , no one has. I would of been very disappointed paying 599 for something that didn't deliver. So no I wasn't looking for a reason to cancel but I can't spare 600 on something that doesn't deliver big improvements so id call myself cautious.s

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #38 of 2,966
Not really. I was looking for someone to say wow this is the best amp at 599 and its better because , no one has. I would of been very disappointed paying 599 for something that didn't deliver. So no I wasn't looking for a reason to cancel but I can't spare 600 on something that doesn't deliver big improvements so id call myself cautious.s

If that's the case I'd say it's easily the best HP amp I've heard for $600.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #39 of 2,966
If that's the case I'd say it's easily the best HP amp I've heard for $600.

I think you need to use the words 'awesome' and/or  'orgasmic' to make him happy 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #40 of 2,966

Does it sound "better" than my other Amps??  I can't hear "better", but perhaps others can. 

Does it offer features my other amps do not have?  Yes

Was it worth the investment?  In my opinion, absolutely.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #41 of 2,966

Just as an FYI from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/762722/cavalli-audio-liquid-carbon-now-available  in the Update 10/14/2015 section
"Also, for various reasons some of you have cancelled over the last several months. We are always happy to do a refund, but ... so that things don't get impossibly complicated at the last minute when we're trying to ship, we are going to cut off refunds starting November 1. If you want a refund please do so before then. This is simply a logistical issue between us and the folks who are actually doing the fulfillment."

Not sure how your cancelation is going, did it go through?  I am sure they will try to accommodate you, but I thought I would point this out to you.
blink.gif

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #42 of 2,966

Just as an FYI from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/762722/cavalli-audio-liquid-carbon-now-available  in the Update 10/14/2015 section
"Also, for various reasons some of you have cancelled over the last several months. We are always happy to do a refund, but ... so that things don't get impossibly complicated at the last minute when we're trying to ship, we are going to cut off refunds starting November 1. If you want a refund please do so before then. This is simply a logistical issue between us and the folks who are actually doing the fulfillment."

Not sure how your cancelation is going, did it go through?  I am sure they will try to accommodate you, but I thought I would point this out to you.
blink.gif

yeah all good it came through very quick.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #45 of 2,966
It seems awfully early to give up on an amp.  So many reviewers praised this device as an amazing value.  And now production units are just starting to hit the customers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back