Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Sep 9, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,296 of 2,966
Hey gents, time for me to answer some of the questions.

First, all of my larger amps have offset detectors and delay circuits. These circuits are my own design and do a great job of protecting headphones from DC. Since most of the amps are DC coupled, any DC at the input goes right to the output only amplifier. But there is no room for these circuits in the Carbon so it doesn't have one.

One good side, however, is that the startup and shutdown transients are fairly low. I measured them on the pre-production board (which is not the proto board that has been in the amps at shows).

Start up transient less less than +500mV on the upswing and basically zero on the negative swing. This is both on and off.

Also, you can hot switch the gain (like in the larger amps). The blip when you go from 1x to 3x is no more than 400mV and from 3x to 1x it's about 200mV. For most conditions, you won't hear this much. Although sensitive IEMs are indeed a different game.

I wanted to talk about power output too. I've been holding back on you guys on the power output of the amp. Only a little though.

I've spec'd the amp a 1.5W continuous into 50R. In fact, it will do about 2.8W continuous into 50R.

Now, keep in mind that 1.5W and especially 2,8W is a lot of power. I don't know any headphones where this won't ring your bell and in most headphones it would be damaging.

However, what you really need the power for is, as you all know, the transients. Most of the time you're listening at fairly low power levels, but when the music creates a strong transient you need the amp to be able to respond.

The Carbon can respond with much more power than 1.5W. Also, we measured about .04% THD with 1kHz in driving 47.5R at 2.8W.

Now, you may be wondering can you use all of that 2.8W. And the answer is, if we were talking about sine waves, no. This is because the Carbon is so small that is has limited power dissipation capacity. This is really why I originally said 1.5W. Because this safe.

However, if the 2.8W only comes into play when you need it, the PD capacity is good enough.

So, you're getting a bigger amp than you thought. :beyersmile:

2.8 watts. It's post #1500 from http://www.head-fi.org/t/761088/cavalli-audios-liquid-carbon-a-599-cavalli-amp

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,297 of 2,966
Hi guys, I'm not very sure about voltage, electricity, power, etc.

I know that the US cable is 110 v, I'm currently waiting for my LC to come and is planning to buy an Australia power cord, normally 240v.

will something like this work fine?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-3-Pin-to-IEC-Kettle-Cord-Plug-Australian-240V-Power-Cable-Lead-Cord-/370870993155?var=&hash=item5659a24103:m:mTB0edyGGNYieL0hi3eJNmw

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #2,298 of 2,966
@Allanmarcus @12Jewelz @LajostheHun I've put in an order for the Schiit Jotunheim. I have heard it before at the Schiit Show, but due to the impressions here and other sites about its incredible price-to-performance ratio (like even better than what I originally thought), I felt that I should try one out to at least compare to my LC.

Hopefully I have a comparison up by next week.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2,299 of 2,966
Hi guys, I'm not very sure about voltage, electricity, power, etc.

I know that the US cable is 110 v, I'm currently waiting for my LC to come and is planning to buy an Australia power cord, normally 240v.

will something like this work fine?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-3-Pin-to-IEC-Kettle-Cord-Plug-Australian-240V-Power-Cable-Lead-Cord-/370870993155?var=&hash=item5659a24103:m:mTB0edyGGNYieL0hi3eJNmw
Did you buy it from Cavalli in the final run? If so you should be getting a good cord with it. Assuming you selected the Aus version when ordeting.

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #2,300 of 2,966
  @Allanmarcus @12Jewelz @LajostheHun I've put in an order for the Schiit Jotunheim. I have heard it before at the Schiit Show, but due to the impressions here and other sites about its incredible price-to-performance ratio (like even better than what I originally thought), I felt that I should try one out to at least compare to my LC.

Hopefully I have a comparison up by next week.

popcorn.gif

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #2,301 of 2,966

Had them both and really liked them both. The MJ2 imho with upgraded tubes is hard to beat for the money.

Thanks! What tubes did you like best in the MJ2? Why did you get rid of them?

Liquid Crimson is why I moved on at the time.     For the MJ2 I tried various tubes and all were better then stock imho.    The best tubes I had were a matched pair of 75 Reflektors swgp  purchased from a member here that occasionally has them.  He calls  them the Holy Grail of 6922 type tubes and I have to agree.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #2,302 of 2,966
Liquid Crimson is why I moved on at the time.     For the MJ2 I tried various tubes and all were better then stock imho.    The best tubes I had were a matched pair of 75 Reflektors swgp  purchased from a member here that occasionally has them.  He calls  them the Holy Grail of 6922 type tubes and I have to agree.

I have one of those Holy Grails in the Liquid Crimson. It's a sizable jump from the stock Gold Lion. Their legendary reputation is well-deserved.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #2,304 of 2,966

Well, lucky LC #7 checking in.  I had my first single ended listen experience the last few days, and I'm happy to report all that worrying I did about balanced only has dissolved away.  I think we all freaked in the early days, and balanced cabled everything.  Thou it was a good thing, it wasn't an absolute.  The Elears sounded great on low gain and would gladly tell anyone not to over worry about it.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I would like to go balanced, I just don't feel any immediate obligation to do so.  I suppose if I had a headphone that was far more power hungry, I prepare myself sooner..

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #2,308 of 2,966
Are you keeping it a secret?

Nope. The answer you seek, grasshopper, can be found in these writings. All you need to do is read them.

Summary. The amp is a little warm, as amps go, but detailed and powerful. It presents the Cavalli house sound well. Much more explanation can be found by reading.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,310 of 2,966
Does it compete with the Pathos Aurium and Auralic Taurus Mk2 (for example)?

I recommend you use the search thread feature and read about people's impressions. There are a few in this thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back