Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Aug 4, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #2,251 of 2,966
  Would be surprised about the "lackluster" part as it seemed liked everyone here raised their hands for it?

I'm saying that based on the amount compared to the 500. I think there was sub 20 who came out and said yes to it? I said no only on the basis that it would prove super costly for myself to upgrade since I mostly use the balanced output anyways, and 2 way shipping + tax is quite a lot.

But if it were not for the cost I definitely would say yes to upgrading. Again, only my opinion.

Aug 4, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,252 of 2,966
This speculating and sharing opinions is simply not helping. If there is no "official" word, then there's no official word...

:):D:p

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,253 of 2,966
Funny, I found the iFi DACs to sound very fake and digital, similar to how the Oppo HA-1 sounded compared to the DAC-19. Different strokes I guess.
wink_face.gif

Best thing is obviously to audition if one can.

Hi Relic,

the two more recent firmware upgrades to my ears changed the filters to a certain extend - more natural sounding now than before - not a night and day difference, far from it, rather a very subtle change (that I could also just hallucinate since auditory memory is a bitch) - but a welcome one. 

cheers.

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #2,254 of 2,966
Hi Relic,

the two more recent firmware upgrades to my ears changed the filters to a certain extend - more natural sounding now than before - not a night and day difference, far from it, rather a very subtle change (that I could also just hallucinate since auditory memory is a bitch) - but a welcome one. 

cheers.

Thanks for reminding me. I'll have to update the FW on the iDAC2 to check out any difference.

:beerchug:

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #2,256 of 2,966
This speculating and sharing opinions is simply not helping. If there is no "official" word, then there's no official word...

smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
:p

I also think "no official word" is the best way to address this issue at the moment...  The following response I received from Warren upon raising this same question in private mail confirms this "no work yet" response :

"As far as the possible power stage upgrade I posted about, we have not yet decided to move forward with that. While most of the responses were favorable, the number of responses was relatively low. And making a very limited number of upgrade boards is rather costly.

On top of that, many Head-Fiers brought up some good points regarding shipping costs and customs fees (for overseas customers). That itself seems to be a dealbreaker for some.

Of course, we haven't ruled out moving forward with the power stage upgrade, but at this time, we haven't committed to it either.

-Warren
Warren Chi
CEO, Cavalli Audio
warren@cavalliaudio.com"

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2,257 of 2,966
  I also think "no official word" is the best way to address this issue at the moment...  The following response I received from Warren upon raising this same question in private mail confirms this "no work yet" response :

"As far as the possible power stage upgrade I posted about, we have not yet decided to move forward with that. While most of the responses were favorable, the number of responses was relatively low. And making a very limited number of upgrade boards is rather costly.

On top of that, many Head-Fiers brought up some good points regarding shipping costs and customs fees (for overseas customers). That itself seems to be a dealbreaker for some.

Of course, we haven't ruled out moving forward with the power stage upgrade, but at this time, we haven't committed to it either.

-Warren
Warren Chi
CEO, Cavalli Audio
warren@cavalliaudio.com"

Lol that sounds like half a conversation. I wonder what was the other half?
smile_phones.gif

But yeah I talked to Warren about this some time ago so I didn't take it as an 'official' word. He asked me how it actually cost for me to bring my LC into UK so that I could give him a frame of reference for the cost.

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #2,259 of 2,966

Lol that sounds like half a conversation. I wonder what was the other half?
smile_phones.gif

But yeah I talked to Warren about this some time ago so I didn't take it as an 'official' word. He asked me how it actually cost for me to bring my LC into UK so that I could give him a frame of reference for the cost.

The other half was for my eyes only, because it was responding to a question about the availability or non availability of certain  "non-Liquid Carbon" Cavalli Audio components, besides which their mention would be off-topic on this thread...
smily_headphones1.gif
  Suffice it to say, FWIW, that the referenced correspondence is from July 13th, 2016, and is therefore relatively recent...  I thought some might find that helpful...

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,260 of 2,966
  The other half was for my eyes only, because it was responding to a question about the availability or non availability of certain  "non-Liquid Carbon" Cavalli Audio components, besides which their mention would be off-topic on this thread...
smily_headphones1.gif
  Suffice it to say, FWIW, that the referenced correspondence is from July 13th, 2016, and is therefore relatively recent...  I thought some might find that helpful...

Asking for the Cavalli Liquid Unobtanium eh. Everyone probably asked about it once. LMAO

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #2,261 of 2,966
Does anyone have any cable recommendations for connecting my LC to a Mojo? 

The AudioQuest Big Sur 3.5mm to RCA is a nice one. I use that to connect my Mojo to everything. Nice warmth, smooth highs and far better dynamics than the lower end AQ stuff I've tried. Big Sur is the lowest model in the line with AQ's highest grade copper - the same stuff that is in their $700-$800 cables. Build quality is excellent as well, very robust and durable.

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #2,262 of 2,966
Aug 4, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #2,263 of 2,966

Does anyone have any cable recommendations for connecting my LC to a Mojo? 

The AudioQuest Big Sur 3.5mm to RCA is a nice one. I use that to connect my Mojo to everything. Nice warmth, smooth highs and far better dynamics than the lower end AQ stuff I've tried. Big Sur is the lowest model in the line with AQ's highest grade copper - the same stuff that is in their $700-$800 cables. Build quality is excellent as well, very robust and durable.

Is there any difference between a 3.5 to 3.5 versus 3.5 to RCA?

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #2,264 of 2,966

I've heard his cable and there's definitely a difference from cheap cables (to my ears, YMMV, etc).  If I ever get a Mojo, I'll probably snag a Bug Sur as well.

For use with the LC, no.  But the RCA should give you more flexibility with other amps.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,265 of 2,966

There shouldn't be, but I think the 3.5mm to RCA is a FAR better investment because most forms of amplification take RCA input. If I purchased the 3.5mm to 3.5mm, I could only use the Mojo with the LC and that old O2 I have sitting around here in a drawer somewhere.

Because I purchased the 3.5mm to RCA, I could use the Mojo as a DAC with the LC, my Liquid Crimson (along with the LAu, Liquid Glass, Liquid Tungsten, and I think it even got a turn with the Liquid Lightning at Stillhart's house after CanJam, IIRC... Looks like my little Mojo has hit for the cycle!), plus my Stax SRM-1 MK2 and my two channel system.

So what I'm saying is, it gives you way more options to get the 3.5mm to RCA... at least it did for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back