Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Apr 9, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #1,801 of 2,966
Well, thank you for reviving my specious comments. Ok I exaggerated a bit. Yet, If I'm listening to Enya with the TH900's, I'm blissed out on one of her swirling waltzes, and then between the tracks is a noticible amplifier hum which is then covered up when the music starts up again. This is the only amp I have with noise on the SE. I will contact Cavalli. But tonight, thank you, I will take your suggestion and connect an RCA between my Emotiva and the LC. It is just connected balanced at the moment.

Let us know the results if you would. Creating a common chassis ground between the LC and DAC through the patch cable seems to have worked for several people that have posted here.
I stumbled upon the answer one night... by accident.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #1,802 of 2,966
Let us know the results if you would. Creating a common chassis ground between the LC and DAC through the patch cable seems to have worked for several people that have posted here.

Didn't work for me, but then again most of my Liquid Carbon use is balanced out so not in a rush to do anything about it. Yes, I'll eventually contact Cavalli about it.

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #1,803 of 2,966
So, I went back to the LC manual, it recommends burning in 150 hours WITHOUT HEADPHONES ATTACHED! That is different from the impressions I had gotten on the LC threads, including, I thing, from Alex. My impression was that burning in with balanced headphones would be best, followed by no headphone if that couldn't be managed, followed by doing it single ended, which would be the least desirable way to do the burn in. Did I get this wrong? I've been doing the balanced burn in for about 48 hours now with my HE-1000 connected to the LC (iPod Nano as the source on shuffle). Have about 5 more days to reach this 150 hour point, but thinking maybe I should disconnect the headphones.

How do you burn in without any headphones attached?

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #1,804 of 2,966
Well I'll be a Blue Nosed Gopher! When I attach a RCA cable between the DAC and Amp the hum goes away. It only takes one cable but I attached both left and right. Unplug the RCA and the hum quickly fades in. Plug in the RCA and it fades out. For me at least this is a Work-Around. At the same time this is really Mickey Mouse. Is this a design flaw? Did the manufacturers forget to tack down a ground wire? And is that all the new power supply is? A little proper internal grounding? The ' RCA ground wire' did not seem to affect the sound adversely. Has anyone tried hooking up a 2nd DAC to the SE input vs grounding via RCA jacks to the balanced DAC? I did not have time to try that.
Great big Thank you for this work around.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #1,805 of 2,966
Well I'll be a Blue Nosed Gopher! When I attach a RCA cable between the DAC and Amp the hum goes away. It only takes one cable but I attached both left and right. Unplug the RCA and the hum quickly fades in. Plug in the RCA and it fades out. For me at least this is a Work-Around. At the same time this is really Mickey Mouse. Is this a design flaw? Did the manufacturers forget to tack down a ground wire? And is that all the new power supply is? A little proper internal grounding? The ' RCA ground wire' did not seem to affect the sound adversely. Has anyone tried hooking up a 2nd DAC to the SE input vs grounding via RCA jacks to the balanced DAC? I did not have time to try that.

I've tried just SE DAC RCA, SE DAC RCA + 3.5mm DAC (not both sources turned on at the same time), Balanced DAC in + RCA SE DAC in. All have a hum with sensitive earphones (definitely not amp noise floor). Could be a ground loop in my house wiring, but I don't get any hum with other amps. I wish the above solution worked for me. C'est la vie. That's what warranties are for, not now though... Busy enjoying balanced out.

Edit: Wait, are you hooking up the RCA and balanced out from the same DAC? I'm using different DAC sources. D'oh!

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #1,806 of 2,966
I've tried just SE DAC RCA, SE DAC RCA + 3.5mm DAC (not both sources turned on at the same time), Balanced DAC in + RCA SE DAC in. All have a hum with sensitive earphones (definitely not amp noise floor). Could be a ground loop in my house wiring, but I don't get any hum with other amps. I wish the above solution worked for me. C'est la vie. That's what warranties are for, not now though... Busy enjoying balanced out.

Edit: Wait, are you hooking up the RCA and balanced out from the same DAC? I'm using different DAC sources. D'oh!
I think you just answered my question. But to answer yours, Yes my Emotiva DAC one is now attached Both balanced and SE at the same time. If I remove the SE connection the SE input hums. This does compromise both the DAC and Amp in that SE inputs and outputs cannot be used with another piece of equipment.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #1,807 of 2,966
I think you just answered my question. But to answer yours, Yes my Emotiva DAC one is now attached Both balanced and SE at the same time. If I remove the SE connection the SE input hums. This does compromise both the DAC and Amp in that SE inputs and outputs cannot be used with another piece of equipment.

That's what I figured, I was just being too dense to see it. After all, if it's grounding then separate components really wouldn't help at all. Good grief I feel thick headed tonight.

:beerchug:

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #1,808 of 2,966
So, I went back to the LC manual, it recommends burning in 150 hours WITHOUT HEADPHONES ATTACHED! That is different from the impressions I had gotten on the LC threads, including, I thing, from Alex. My impression was that burning in with balanced headphones would be best, followed by no headphone if that couldn't be managed, followed by doing it single ended, which would be the least desirable way to do the burn in. Did I get this wrong? I've been doing the balanced burn in for about 48 hours now with my HE-1000 connected to the LC (iPod Nano as the source on shuffle). Have about 5 more days to reach this 150 hour point, but thinking maybe I should disconnect the headphones.

How do you burn in without any headphones attached?

Since then I've just logged listening hours, but, as I recall, this was the way we were instructed to do it from on high (Alex) :)

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #1,809 of 2,966

Did you mean the SE output hums? Cause if you remove the SE connection how can it hum?

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,810 of 2,966

I'm sorry but are you being serious right now?  You've been told directly that this potentially solves the issue, within the last week.  Many people with the same DAC have reported this issue and this fix.  Alex even wrote a big post about potential grounding issues way back last year before the amps even hit the streets.  This isn't news, dude.  
tongue.gif

EDIT - A word

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,811 of 2,966

I'm sorry but are you being serious right now?  You've been told directly that this solves the issue, within the last week.  Many people with the same DAC have reported this issue and this fix.  Alex even wrote a big post about potential grounding issues way back last year before the amps even hit the streets.  This isn't news, dude.  
tongue.gif

There have been reports of this NOT fixing the issue, as in my case, it got better but did not go away. Just sayin'
blink.gif

There was still noise and what I would call a transformer hum like sound.
That is why Alex asked to get mine back, BTW. So he can look into it and find out what is going on with mine. YMMV, YEMBDTM etc...
ph34r.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #1,812 of 2,966

There have been reports of this NOT fixing the issue, as in my case, it got better but did not go away. Just sayin'
blink.gif

There was still noise and what I would call a transformer hum like sound.
That is why Alex asked to get mine back, BTW. So he can look into it and find out what is going on with mine. YMMV, YEMBDTM etc...
ph34r.gif

Sure but you knew about it and at least tried it, yes?  

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,813 of 2,966

Sure but you knew about it and at least tried it, yes?  

Yep, sure did.

It's your second sentence I was trying to address...so you can update your knowledge base and dispel the now false statement that it solves the issue, cuz' it don't in all cases...
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #1,814 of 2,966

Yep, sure did.

It's your second sentence I was trying to address...so you can update your knowledge base and dispel the now false statement that it solves the issue, cuz' it don't in all cases...
beerchug.gif

Fair enough.  Edited my post to allow for the possibility that it doesn't fix it in all circumstances.  
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #1,815 of 2,966
Didn't work for me, but then again most of my Liquid Carbon use is balanced out so not in a rush to do anything about it. Yes, I'll eventually contact Cavalli about it.

We are probably talking about different problems. What I heard was a constant low level 60 cycle hum. As others have described, it is  there but not so loud that it is not covered up by most any music.
Definitely reminds me of the kind of noise, though lower level, that occurs with ground loop types of problems. It also is completely removed by connecting either of the SE inputs to one of the SE outputs on the DAC. This has worked on at least 4 different DACs. I am not talking about the sort of hiss that some hear in sensitive IEMs that are usually associated with the noise floor of the amp.
I think that this is the noise that the power supply revision in the second run is intended to mitigate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back