Cauliflower Ear
Jul 3, 2011 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MicroMint98

New Head-Fier
I was planning on making the jump to customs, probably going with JH Audio but was wondering if anyone has any experience with cauliflower ear and custom IEM's.  Previous years of wrestling has given me mild cauliflower in the inner parts of my ear, and it's getting a little worse as I still continue it as a hobby.  Being in my early 30's now...I don't think my ear will change drastically.  Am I just better off buying universals?  I borrowed a pair of Westone 1's the other day and had a bit of difficulty fitting them in my ear.

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Talk to your audiologist about them. They should be able to give you a good idea if a custom would work for you. I hope it would be a good solution. :)

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Wow, I did not know cauliflower ear is a medical condition. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it's a new brand of custom IEMs...
Anyway, good luck in your search.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Depents on your condition. As the situtation gets worse you have more problems but keep in mind that my ear must have a bit of a different ear canal positioning and it seems i have fit problems so you get the picture what a tiny problem can cause.

I would strongly suggest you wear protective headgear when you wrestle and take a trip to the doctor. He might help you out by draining the liquid it gathered around the ear. You should do this before the liquid gets harden.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 8
I watch a lot of UFC and most of them have cauliflower ears. I would assume they just get surgery after their career is over? Just like boxers and hockey players do with their nose.

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I was planning on making the jump to customs, probably going with JH Audio but was wondering if anyone has any experience with cauliflower ear and custom IEM's.  Previous years of wrestling has given me mild cauliflower in the inner parts of my ear, and it's getting a little worse as I still continue it as a hobby.  Being in my early 30's now...I don't think my ear will change drastically.  Am I just better off buying universals?  I borrowed a pair of Westone 1's the other day and had a bit of difficulty fitting them in my ear.

I just got my JH 16's, my left ear has califlower, been like that for many years, sporting accident long time ago, got my molds done by my audiologist,the left IEM fits just fine and actually holds better than the right, even though both have a tight fit, the left IEM though sticks out a bit more "not flush like the right ear" do to the bowl of the ear beign swollen "and holding less surface area" and not having it's natural bowl shape.

Now I don't know the extend of the damage to the  bowl of your ear and if it is suitable for a hearing aid or custom IEM, I am sure your audiologist will let you know. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, I'll take a trip to the audiologist within the next 2 weeks.  As far as the fluid hardening, it's well beyond that point.  It's been years of training.  I actually made it a point to take care of my ears but it was inevitable.  And I agree, I recommend headgear for anyone...I was just too lazy and thought my ears were immune to it until it was too late.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back