Cat-Fi
Jan 1, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #31 of 1,398
Quote:

Originally Posted by fungus amongus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what's wrong with ford2

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he does not like cats! obviously.

The problem with cat overpopulation and their HUGE impact on wildlife and small songbirds in particular is well known and increasingly well documented.
Recognizing such does not make one a "cat hater" or mean there is anything "wrong" with the person.

Such statements on the contrary show a deficiency from those uttering them.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #32 of 1,398
i didn't say he was a cat "hater". i am well aware of the feral cat problem. we trap/spay/neuter/release. feral cats have to remain feral. we do not beleive in euthanising them just because they are feral.

if people would keep their cats indoors neuter/spay them, the feral population would not be as big as it is. the feral population was started by humans that don't care. cats are domestic animals.

keeping them in the backyard and not keeping them in the home does not make one a responsible cat keeper. sorry. you are not really helping them even though you may mean the best.

i am the director of a facility that homes hundreds. they are not in my house. or yard for that matter! this is because of people that "dumped" them or they "got lost".

it is a huge problem. humans created it. we are doing our best to start to remedy it. along with other shelters around the globe.

be a responsible cat owner. do not have more than you can physically and fianancially support,and keep them inside at all times.

my pet cats in my home cost an average of $150 per month per cat to keep, and an hour a day each of personal attention. if you cannot afford that you are not doing the cat justice. that includes the best food,best litter and vet costs. i am sorry, not everyone belongs with that cute little kitty at the pet shop. if you are going to feed friskies do not have a cat! then that brings us to cat mills... the ones in the shelter obviously do not get that type of food and litter. however their vet bills can be surmountable. starting with spay/neuter. felv,fiv cats cost a lot to take care of which is the most common problem. also in part created by humans.

of course a horse,properly taken care of costs $750 a month or so. not to mention the acre per horse. you should see what some people have done to a poor horse! go watch "animal cops" on animal planet.

music_man

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #33 of 1,398
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell that to the millions of birds,marsupials and other life forms that they kill just for the fun of the hunt.

This is an issue of feral cats which indeed is a huge suburban issue for various parts of the world.
Domestic, well trained, neutered/spayed cats? Not really.
I can't remember the last time our cats brought in a mouse or a bird, and yet I can clearly recall several birds crashing into our windows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my pet cats in my home cost an average of $150 per month per cat to keep, and an hour a day each of personal attention.

No matter the cost, having a cat is a highly rewarding experience, and they offer you many years of great friendship; arguably the kind of friendship that people cannot provide.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #34 of 1,398
I am not trying to start an argument here, because, when I live somewhere that allows pets, I am going to keep my cat/dog inside, but do you believe what my mother is doing is wrong with spaying/neutering the strays that come around and then putting them back outside once they are healed is a problem? In the immediate area, there are no "no kill" shelters that accept cats. There used to be one a half an hour away that we volunteered at, but, sadly, it had to close due to lack of support and funding. Now all there is, that I am aware of, are pounds that will put them down within a week of no adoption.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #35 of 1,398
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an issue of feral cats which indeed is a huge suburban issue for various parts of the world.
Domestic, well trained, neutered/spayed cats? Not really.
I can't remember the last time our cats brought in a mouse or a bird, and yet I can clearly recall several birds crashing into our windows. .

And where do you think all the feral cats come from.

The sooner that animal conservation housing estates [no cats and no dogs ] become more widespread the better,if you have a dire need to play with something furry get a hamster.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #36 of 1,398
mminutel, i think what you are doing is great. i did not mean to insult you. trap/spay/neuter/release is the best program for ferals. i don't know about feeding them though. what if you leave one day? it is still nice while you are there. i just hope someone can keep it up for you when you are not because they are becoming dependent on you. however, feeding them does lesson their threat to other wildlife. i am not one to judge in this situation. at least you are trying to help the matter.

music_man

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #37 of 1,398
music_man, you didn't insult me. A couple of the cats outside are not what I would consider to be feral cats. A few of them are very friendly and affectionate; they were just strays that my mom has grown to love. She considers them her cats, but she can't keep all of them in the house. We have a huge problem with people setting cats out, and you know as well as I do that you can't trust just anyone to adopt and the people that we trust do not want them. When we volunteered at the shelter, we had a paper miles long of people we couldn't adopt to because they were abusive or fed them to their bigger animals. Sad but true.

We have relatives in the area. It isn't very often that my mom leaves the area, but, if she does, she has one of our relatives feed them. They pretty much stay under her outbuilding.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #38 of 1,398
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When we volunteered at the shelter, we had a paper miles long of people we couldn't adopt to because they were abusive or fed them to their bigger animals. Sad but true.

Fed cats to their bigger animals, or smaller animals like rabbits and guinea pigs?

What kind of animal can you feed a cat to, a freaking bear?

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #39 of 1,398
They were mainly feeding kittens to snakes.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #41 of 1,398
Picture2-4.png

If you want to talk about disliking cats or the problems they cause, start your own thread, but if you continue here, I'll know you're just trolling.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #42 of 1,398
i hope you don't mean me! i love cats more than anything in the world. all animals actually. i am a vegan too. i spend most of my leftover income to help animals. i also volenter a lot of my time. i am on the board of directors of an animal shelter.
if you meant me i am very sorry you got the very wrong idea!

or did you mean ford2? please clarify!

music_man

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #44 of 1,398
Eh... For the longest time, my step-dad didn't allow them in the house at all just because he didn't like them. Now, he has softened up a bit in his older age. He still doesn't like them in there and wouldn't allow any more to be kept inside. The latest litter of kittens that showed up along our road were in pretty bad shape. A couple of them had warbles (botfly larvae) and were very malnourished so they were allowed to stay inside while they healed. My mom got too attached to them to put them outside so my step-dad just tolerates them.

My landlord doesn't allow me to have them at my place or I would.

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #45 of 1,398
Looks like the picture of a man who has devoted his whole life to the well being of animals was to much for someone because he was wearing a hat made from a cat.

Maybe we should censor all photo's of Davy Crockett or is it acceptable to have a Racoon hat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back