Casework: Share Your DIY Enclosures
May 31, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #181 of 400
Found this on the side of the road, amazingly it fired right up, the tubes were all completely caked with what I suspect is 50 years of grime. All the rubber inside has turned into what looks like melted wax. It really needs a face lift, right now it's down to the basic frame to make some new panels, the bottom was completely rotted out. I was going to gut the innards to make room for a B22, but after hearing the radio thru those tubes, I'm keeping the stereo part. Should still be plenty of room without the phonograph section, which is shot.

May 31, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #182 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynxkcg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Found this on the side of the road, amazingly it fired right up, the tubes were all completely caked with what I suspect is 50 years of grime. All the rubber inside has turned into what looks like melted wax. It really needs a face lift, right now it's down to the basic frame to make some new panels, the bottom was completely rotted out. I was going to gut the innards to make room for a B22, but after hearing the radio thru those tubes, I'm keeping the stereo part. Should still be plenty of room without the phonograph section, which is shot.

Amazing, do you have any more info on what's inside?

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #183 of 400
Sooooo tired of you guys having all the fun, so I whipped this out today.

This is option 'c' on a stat amp enclosure. Epic fail on my dovetail jig, so, butjoints it is (mainly because I needed every inch of space). This is temp, until I can get my aluminum case welded.

Koa front and sides, walnut back and 'spacer' bar. Bottom and back cover (psu, with really tall heatsinks) will be perforated aluminum, and not decided on the front top, which needs to vent 8 tubes. Wood was just stuff I have laying around. The bocote feet took an extra 30 minutes to knock out.

No finish yet (will be 100% tung oil), and the XLR jacks are too small but will be 'matched' with the right size Forstner bit. Edit: Oops, stat amp - only one jack needed, so, gotta cut a plug for one of the holes, and see how well I can match... or mount two jacks... sigh.

Hopefully I can get most of this finished in the next couple of days to get this amp finished, then post some more final case / interim amp pics.

vultemp.jpg

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #184 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing, do you have any more info on what's inside?

It's a Delmonico 1125U FM Multiplexer assembled in Japan, thats about all I know. Theres a schematic on the back, but it was written in script and a font so small I need a magnifying glass.Curiously I can't find a date ANYWHERE, I'd really like to know when there were new.
The phonograph section is a warped mass of plastic and bakelite.
Ugh, I've already taken my ambien for tonight and can Hardly see the screen, I'll try to post pics of the innards tomorrow.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #185 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koa front and sides, walnut back and 'spacer' bar. Bottom and back cover (psu, with really tall heatsinks) will be perforated aluminum, and not decided on the front top, which needs to vent 8 tubes. Wood was just stuff I have laying around. The bocote feet took an extra 30 minutes to knock out.

Coolness, can't wait to see it with finish. Should be very nice! Koa is the best.

I'm embarrassed to even post this; it's just a temporary housing for some blind testing purposes. I have a few old network switches that I gutted, which seem to fit pretty well. There was a long pair of slots in the front where the ports used to pass through which had to be covered, so I put a little piece of Maple on there. I was just going to sand/oil it and tape it on with double-faced mounting tape- no power switch even.
dac1_front.jpg

Next thing you know I'm cutting recesses for Allen-head screws, recessing a power switch, and adding a power indicator.
dac1_quarter.jpg

Nevertheless, it's still just a re-purposed switch with a slab of wood on the front.
dac1_back.jpg

The cover is dark gray textured paint already, so I did not even repaint it.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #186 of 400
beautiful wood, and I realize it is temporary, but the holes don't appear to be lined up horizontally. If that was intentional then ignore this tip...

Clamp a wood fence to the table of your drill press to get holes that are lined up perfectly. I did all of the holes on the rear panel with just a tape measure, drill press, scrap wood fence and a couple of clamps.

Quote:

Sooooo tired of you guys having all the fun, so I whipped this out today.

This is option 'c' on a stat amp enclosure. Epic fail on my dovetail jig, so, butjoints it is (mainly because I needed every inch of space). This is temp, until I can get my aluminum case welded.

No finish yet (will be 100% tung oil), and the XLR jacks are too small but will be 'matched' with the right size Forstner bit.

Hopefully I can get most of this finished in the next couple of days to get this amp finished, then post some more final case / interim amp pics.

vultemp.jpg

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #187 of 400
here's the photo of the rear panel....

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #188 of 400
Actually, I have one hole too many, so one will get plugged...
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #189 of 400
Um. I've got no tips for that...

Quote:

Actually, I have one hole too many, so one will get plugged...
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #191 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuroguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um. I've got no tips for that...

I know how to do it (plugs cut with a bimatal hole saw), but just a question of how well I can match it. Not too much of a challenge, since I have plenty of koa scraps.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #193 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynxkcg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a Delmonico 1125U FM Multiplexer assembled in Japan, thats about all I know. Theres a schematic on the back, but it was written in script and a font so small I need a magnifying glass.Curiously I can't find a date ANYWHERE, I'd really like to know when there were new.
The phonograph section is a warped mass of plastic and bakelite.
Ugh, I've already taken my ambien for tonight and can Hardly see the screen, I'll try to post pics of the innards tomorrow.

What a nice find lynxcg, vintage! If not mistaken according to it's specs this radio holds 11 tubes!

Quote:

Epic fail on my dovetail jig, so, butjoints it is (mainly because I needed every inch of space). This is temp, until I can get my aluminum case welded…

Looking nice pabbi, really love those case feet. Btw, the Raven received such nice looking dovetailed joints... what happened? You didn’t want the joints mitered instead of butted? Perhaps the end grains coukld've appeared on the sides instead of the front perhaps?

As for the extra hole, maybe an aluminum plate touch like kuroguy’s nice backplate, or another suggestion is maybe add a thinner layer of koa wood “plate” to dress up the front panel, like a Ray Samuels face plate, but in wood:

raysamuelsk.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coolness, can't wait to see it with finish. Should be very nice! Koa is the best.

I'm embarrassed to even post this; it's just a temporary housing for some blind testing purposes...

It's really nice voodoochile, I really like tiger/curly maple. You have to admit it's a lot of fun
smile.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #194 of 400
Yeah, I have a lot of thin exotics to try the plate idea (rosewood, ebony, tulip, etc) so I might go that route. The metal bulb LED is also appealing, should I find one in that size (5/8") in my parts (almost easier to go by the surplus place and buy one), though not sure how to hook it in on this build.

May just plug it IFF I have the right hole saw, since that is a 5 minute drill, and glue, with an hour of sanding...
angry_face.gif

Cannot believe I did that.

WRT to the dovetails on the Raven, Dr Wood (swt61) did those for me, and I really, REALLY wanted to do through dovetails here (if going dovetail, go all the way) or box joints, but I really need every millimeter of width I can get on this case, as the layout pics will show. It is tight, and the parts need room to breathe with 8 tubes. Even the .5" for the 90 degree cuts was too much, not even considering the varying width of the wood (1" front and 5/8" sides).

Shocking how light the Koa is, especially compared to rosewood, but since the case has no real structural need (all the components sit on the aluminum base and feet), the butt joints are most likely sifficient. Screws even crossed my mind, as disappointed as I am with having to even take this route, but, everything should turn out fine with the glue blocks.

Now, back to concentrating on what I need to be - the circuit, as this is still only one of two prototypes, both duking it out for epic case fail.

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #195 of 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy...

x2

There's some absolutely amazing craftsmanship in some of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back