Case front/rear panels for DIY
Mar 27, 2009 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sputnik13

100+ Head-Fier
For the people who make their own front/rear panels for their projects, what do you use to cut the metal?

I have a dremel, but I'm just wondering if anyone has better solutions short of using a CNC machine (mmm, CNC laser cutter would be nice
wink.gif
)

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Endmill...there are bench top units available, although I doubt they have same capabilities of a 2 ton Bridgeport or Millrite.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Table top drill press with 4 different Irwin step bits and a cheap cross slide. Digital calipers and stainless rule to measure with. Carbide scribe to mark with. All from the pawn shop or on sale.

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm rather ignorant in this area, so thank you for your responses. The bench/table top mills intrigue me, but the cheapest I can see is $319 from harbor freight, which is rather more than I was thinking of spending, but I'm sure I'll be able to convince myself sooner or later :)

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the people who make their own front/rear panels for their projects, what do you use to cut the metal?

I have a dremel, but I'm just wondering if anyone has better solutions short of using a CNC machine (mmm, CNC laser cutter would be nice
wink.gif
)

I use a T-square and a scribe to make straight lines. Then I clamp a steel straight edge to the aluminum with a couple of C-clamps and use that as a fence with a Bosch jigsaw with an aluminum cutting blade.

You don't get perfect cuts, but that's what files are for! Get a few files from rough to fine, then clamp the aluminum plate in a vise and use the files to make the edge perfect.

This sounds ghetto, but you actually end up with perfectly finished, straight edges. It doesn't take that long and the files clean up ragged edges just fine. After you use the finest file, work through progressively finer grits of sandpaper on a sanding block.

You will be surprised at how well this turns out. It might take more hand labor than a CNC machine at a machinist's shop, but you can't beat it for price.

I do something similar with the holes, too. I scribe the lines and cross points (as described above) then use an auto-centering punch from Home Depot (about $10) to punch a dent precisely where the lines intersect. Then I put a fine drillbit into a handheld drill and drill a pilot hole in the dent from the punch and work up to bigger bits. I also use a hole saw on the drill to drill tube sockets. Those come out ragged, but use a rounded file to smooth out the holes. Takes a few minutes, but you get professional looking results.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Arghh, i did post here before about tools and methods for doing metal work, but it must of got lost during a system update or something.
CNC'ing is all good for perfection, but it is the minor flaws you make in the plate manufacture that give's the piece your personal touch.
Essential tools- square, rule, dividers, drill and drill bits (jobber and uni), hacksaw, grinder and cutting disks (pneumatic and small gauge stuff if possible), tin snips, files- various grades..

If you want a desired finish, you will obtain it with filing, but be warned, patience is a virtue.

For a personal build, put the time in and the final product will mean that little bit more
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back