= Cascadia Audio Talos Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

SanjiWatsuki

500+ Head-Fier

The Talos are an awesome planar magnetic at an affordable price. The first reviews are saying that the Talos are better than all of its competitors in the closed headphone space: Better than the Oppo PM-3, MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs, the NAD Viso HP50. Personally speaking, I preferred them to the HP50, but I'll let other folks speak to the other comparisons.

At $250, the Talos are possibly both the best sounding AND the cheapest T50RP mod on the market today. If you're in the market for a closed headphone, give them a look!

Link: Cascadia Audio Talos ($250)

Reviews and Impressions!

Cascadia Audio Talos - THE best v-shaped headphone under $500 - Keanex

Quote:
These outclass any v-shaped headphone in it’s price range and it’s not even close. They’re comparable to the ZMF Blackwood in sound quality, and I must admit I actually enjoy the Talos more. The Talos get my highest recommendation, I haven’t had a headphone make me this excited to listen to music in a long time. I’ll confidently label these the best v-shaped headphone under $500.

Killer Planars at a Great Price - SanjiWatsuki

For that price, these are wonderfully detailed and transparent. Honestly, you’d be hard pressed to find a better closed headphone for even $500. Personally, the Talos have dethroned the NAD Viso HP50 as my isolating closed back headphone of choice.

Praise Talos! - mrstrangeguy

A great pair of headphones that hold up well against more expensive competition, great ergonomics and exciting sound signature, highly recommended.

Cascadia Audio Talos Review - uncleruckus240

While not the most detailed headphone out there, it certainly holds its own, and in my opinion even surpasses the clarity and detail of some his direct competitors flagships, making the Talos a tremendous value in this market of T50RP mods which only seem to be escalating in price.  I do sincerely believe that Cascadia Audio charges too little for this headphone considering its sound quality and how well they have tuned it to compensate for some of the less pleasing characteristics of the T50RP.   

Talos Review (With comparisons to the Alpha Dogs) - godemperor117

Overall rating (regardless of price): Talos (7.5/10) AD (6.5/10) LCD2 (8/10)
Price taken into account: Talos $250 (9/10) , AD $500 (6.5/10), LCD2 $1000 (8/10)
Loved: Comfort, price, u/mad_economist
liked: sound signature
Improvement: the stickers
Very good gently sloped v shaped headphone with excellent value. Definitely selling AD, and possibly LCD2 (my neck and head too weak). 

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 22
  I have a pair of these, pretty comfy and everything for the price.  They sound better than my PM3 sadly :frowning2:   Need to mod those damn things.

I'm actually surprised these didn't have a thread yet.

Would you mind posting some comparisons against the PM3?

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 22
  All I will say is, Cascadia nailed the tuning on these, given the limitations of the T50RP drivers, they're making me seriously rethink the need to keep TH-X00s around...

I'm likely going to sell my TH-X00, honestly. The Talos are very good and, honestly, because the Talos isolate more, I use them more often. I haven't used the TH-X00 much since getting the Talos.

On a technical and sonic level, I really dig the TH-X00. I think it's got a great tuning and it's one of my favorite headphones, but it doesn't have much of a place in my collection right now. At the office, I've been using the Talos for the isolation and at home I've been using the HD800. I haven't found a good place to slot in the TH-X00.

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 22
I will have my review out tomorrow, but unless you need high isolation, the Talos are the best v-shaped headphone under $500 without a doubt in my mind. When I first heard them all I could think of was how they reminded me of the HiFIMan HE560 with similarities of the ZMF Blackwood, at least than half of the price. These headphones have made me not care about acquiring another headphone, I love them that much.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 22
It is amazing sounding and leakage is minimal. I love it. I got mine used and I have to get the connection just right in order for it to play properly. Once it is right, it is snug and sounds amazing. I am wondering if I should open these up and fix the connection

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 22
  It is amazing sounding and leakage is minimal. I love it. I got mine used and I have to get the connection just right in order for it to play properly. Once it is right, it is snug and sounds amazing. I am wondering if I should open these up and fix the connection

I really didn't like the stock orange cable, but I haven't had any connection problems since switching to a V-Moda Audio Only cable.

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 22
  Review is live: http://www.head-fi.org/t/812816/review-cascadia-audio-talos-the-best-v-shaped-headphone-under-500

Yeah, I love em.

Thanks for the review, Keanex! I've added some excerpts from your review to the top level post.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 22
Some people have compared them to the TH-X00 and preferred them. Would love to hear more thoughts on this and some comparisons with the HE-500 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back