Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 3, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #2,641 of 2,728
I find the XL pads to be the most comfortable being over the ear. The stock being the least comfortable for me. I think the issue with the stock is the leather is too stiff.

The XL pads provide a much wider soundstage, but the bass is way too much for my taste. I found that the cloth pads tame the bass and provides the most balanced sound with no filters. I did try the T1, T3 and T4 filters (I lost one of the T2 filters) but none satisfied my taste, a balanced natural sound. I wish they made a XL cloth pad. That would tame the bass beast and provide more comfort.

FYI, this is on WM1A and WM1Z using MrWalkman Firmware and DHC Molecule Elite OCC Balanced Silver cable. I previously used the SXC8 balanced (which I will be selling). The DHC opened up the top end which is what I was looking for. But the mid bass is recessed and makes vocals sound distanced and muffled. As I stated above, I prefer a a more balanced natural sound. My sound signature of choice is what I get from my Solaris OG, SE and 2020 using the DHC Clover Silver balanced cable on either Sony. Since the Cascade is using the Sennheiser HD800/HD800S connector, cable rolling can be expensive. But I did find on AliExpress a HD800/HD800S to MMCX adapter, so I can try one of my many IEM cables to figure out if there is a cable that would be better.
My Mojo 2 has EQ. I will tweak the sound once I get a feel for the Cascades presentation. I like the XL pads for comfort alone. The Cascades pair very well with the Mojo 2. I'm super impressed with this headphone. It's going to be great on the go.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #2,642 of 2,728
My Mojo 2 has EQ. I will tweak the sound once I get a feel for the Cascades presentation. I like the XL pads for comfort alone. The Cascades pair very well with the Mojo 2. I'm super impressed with this headphone. It's going to be great on the go.
How is fitting your head? I found it absolutely painful and had to use Dekoni Nuggets.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #2,643 of 2,728
The cloth pads do dull the bass a lot though. It goes from being a sharp crack to a thud. Still fun, just a different type. I think I had forgotten how super easy these are to drive. Not going past 9:00 on any amp.
I love how easy the Cascades are to drive. yIt sounds like the cloth pads would be a nice compromise. The Cascades with stock and XL pads have a lot of bite, attack, and bass. I like, but I can easily see how this type of sound can lead to fatigue. It's similar to how I could only listen to the AB-1266 TC's for a limited time. They sound even more aggressive and in your face.

I have an upgraded cable coming from WyWires. It's a balanced WyWires Red cable. After listening to the Cascades, they don't need to be driven by a balanced output at all.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #2,644 of 2,728
How is fitting your head? I found it absolutely painful and had to use Dekoni Nuggets. And it was still a weird shape. The shape reminded me of Stewie's head on Family Guy.
I don't have an issue with comfort at all now. The stock earpads were the only negative I had with the Cascades. The ear openings are too small for my ears, but the was fixed with the XL pads.

Mar 8, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #2,645 of 2,728
Just finished a week, plus with my Cascades. For my best enjoyment, I had to go back to the stock pads. For an alternative, the cloth pads are good with filters. The bass is still there, but duller. Let's mids and upper notes shine more.

Only downside to me is that I cannot tighten the clamp. I guess it is a side effect of the folding mechanism.

Still love 'em though! :L3000:

Mar 8, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,646 of 2,728
Just finished a week, plus with my Cascades. For my best enjoyment, I had to go back to the stock pads. For an alternative, the cloth pads are good with filters. The bass is still there, but duller. Let's mids and upper notes shine more.

Only downside to me is that I cannot tighten the clamp. I guess it is a side effect of the folding mechanism.

Still love 'em though! :L3000:
Nice, I'm a fan of the XL pads. The sound signature doesn't change much from stock outside of gaining some soundstage and a little more sub bass. I am a fan of the overall sound but I do tweak it a little bit with my Mojo 2.

Mar 8, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #2,647 of 2,728
Nice, I'm a fan of the XL pads. The sound signature doesn't change much from stock outside of gaining some soundstage and a little more sub bass. I am a fan of the overall sound but I do tweak it a little bit with my Mojo 2.
When I first got the XL's I fell in love with them. And have been using them only up until last week. I found them more comfortable and they seemed even more bassy. But about six months ago started noticing that I would tire of them pretty quickly. Two to three days max and I would be looking for a change. The smaller pads seemed to sharpen up the sound for me.
I think I will semi-retire my XL's for a few months and see how it goes.

Glad to hear that you are loving your purchase! They are a keeper for me.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #2,648 of 2,728
When I first got the XL's I fell in love with them. And have been using them only up until last week. I found them more comfortable and they seemed even more bassy. But about six months ago started noticing that I would tire of them pretty quickly. Two to three days max and I would be looking for a change. The smaller pads seemed to sharpen up the sound for me.
I think I will semi-retire my XL's for a few months and see how it goes.

Glad to hear that you are loving your purchase! They are a keeper for me.
The stock are good as they really focus the sound. I may go back to them at some point, but I am enjoying what I am hearing right now.

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #2,649 of 2,728
XL pads on Cascades are perfect, ears have enough space and sound is phenomenal, would say stage is bigger, bass is there, but with Silver Litz 4.4 and M17, not overbearing and quality of it is superb. Definitely important to have a good source as they scale + enough of power to control drivers properly. There is something about them...

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #2,650 of 2,728
Hey guys just got a pair of 2020 cascades that came with just 2 filters. Is that normal?

Also what’s everyone’s recommendation for filter and pads? I’m a basshead I love especially mid bass thump. my previous favorite headphones were the VModa M100 masters because of the mid bass. Looking forward to all your guys expertise

Jun 7, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,654 of 2,728
Hey guys just got a pair of 2020 cascades that came with just 2 filters. Is that normal?

Also what’s everyone’s recommendation for filter and pads? I’m a basshead I love especially mid bass thump. my previous favorite headphones were the VModa M100 masters because of the mid bass. Looking forward to all your guys expertise
I was stock for a few months and then bought cloth and XL pads. Used the XL's for many months, but now I am back to stock.
The only time I used the filters was with the cloth pads, IIRC.

Jun 7, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #2,655 of 2,728
I was stock for a few months and then bought cloth and XL pads. Used the XL's for many months, but now I am back to stock.
The only time I used the filters was with the cloth pads, IIRC.
I read the filters are supposed to lessen the bass. Can you maybe explain your thoughts on how they changed the sound and why you choose to use no filter ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back