Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Aug 30, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #2,341 of 2,728
Wow, that is one steep bend you've got there. I hope you aren't using your Cascades when you're on and about? :wink:
I would never wear these outside. This headband is ridiculous. If I was to lean over sharply to tie my sneakers, they would fall off. These are Lazy-Boy specials. :grin:

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #2,342 of 2,728
Thanks, everyone, for thoughts on headband comfort. I’m using the XL pads and haven’t tried the smaller ones yet. The nuggets could work, but reluctant to do anything that requires gluing on. I tried shaping the headband a bit and it seemed to help – almost all of the padded part of the headband is touching my scalp now. Will see how that does long term.

Still would be interested in some sort of snap-on or zip-on cover to add some padding. I guess I can just order some random stuff from Amazon and see what works.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #2,343 of 2,728
Thanks, everyone, for thoughts on headband comfort. I’m using the XL pads and haven’t tried the smaller ones yet. The nuggets could work, but reluctant to do anything that requires gluing on. I tried shaping the headband a bit and it seemed to help – almost all of the padded part of the headband is touching my scalp now. Will see how that does long term.

Still would be interested in some sort of snap-on or zip-on cover to add some padding. I guess I can just order some random stuff from Amazon and see what works.

Let us know if you find anything that works for you, I would be interested.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #2,344 of 2,728
BA015561-F36B-4613-B0D9-5CBE336DC588.jpeg

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2,346 of 2,728
I would never wear these outside. This headband is ridiculous. If I was to lean over sharply to tie my sneakers, they would fall off. These are Lazy-Boy specials. :grin:
Interestingly, the Cascade is 1 of only 3 (wired) headphones in my collection that I'd ever consider using as a portable option; the other 2 being the ATH-WP900, and the AEON 2 Closed. Its compact dimensions (for a full-sized headphone), and the fact that it has a carrying case are all plus points in its favor.

Still, I'd rather just stick with IEMs for on-the-go use. :wink:

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #2,347 of 2,728
Interestingly, the Cascade is 1 of only 3 (wired) headphones in my collection that I'd ever consider using as a portable option; the other 2 being the ATH-WP900, and the AEON 2 Closed. Its compact dimensions (for a full-sized headphone), and the fact that it has a carrying case are all plus points in its favor.

Still, I'd rather just stick with IEMs for on-the-go use. :wink:
If the Cascades had a human head shaped headband, I would make them my mobile choice. The shape is just weird unless your head is shaped like Stewie Griffin (Family Guy).

I have been trying to sell my WP900's for weeks and weeks.

I am very curious about the Aeons, but I heard they were a bit V-shaped and take some muscle to power.

The T5's can fill the role for now, but fall WAY short of the Cascades, sound wise, IMO.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,348 of 2,728
Could someone describe how the sound changes, let's say, after 200 hours of hearing? Is the bass still in the foreground, or is it getting more neutral? I'm currently using Original Cotton Ear pads + 4T Filter for more neutral (more mid focussed) and less bassy sound signature. Im quite happy with the config, but was curious how the Cascade would change after a long time of hearing, because I have less than 50 Hours.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,349 of 2,728
Could someone describe how the sound changes, let's say, after 200 hours of hearing? Is the bass still in the foreground, or is it getting more neutral? I'm currently using Original Cotton Ear pads + 4T Filter for more neutral (more mid focussed) and less bassy sound signature. Im quite happy with the config, but was curious how the Cascade would change after a long time of hearing, because I have less than 50 Hours.
I think mine has changed for the better, but that is probably just me getting used to it. I used to find it a little too "boomy", almost cartoonishly so. But I still enjoyed it. :L3000:

Now it is a headphone I can wear day after day after day...

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #2,350 of 2,728
If the Cascades had a human head shaped headband, I would make them my mobile choice. The shape is just weird unless your head is shaped like Stewie Griffin (Family Guy).

I have been trying to sell my WP900's for weeks and weeks.

I am very curious about the Aeons, but I heard they were a bit V-shaped and take some muscle to power.

The T5's can fill the role for now, but fall WAY short of the Cascades, sound wise, IMO.
I have an AEON Noire and for comfort and portability they are great, but I have been disappointed by the FR. Get shouty upper mids that are dampened by the filters but then you lose resolution and detail. I have EQ'd them without the filters and they are better but they don't really have anything that makes my ears say "WOW!". My Audeze LCD-XC 2021 is much more resolving and the Cascade with XL pads sounds better to me than the AEON Noire. I do use Dekoni nuggets on my Cascade at 11 and 2 o'clock and I have not had any comfort or looseness issues.

Sep 21, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #2,351 of 2,728
I have an AEON Noire and for comfort and portability they are great, but I have been disappointed by the FR. Get shouty upper mids that are dampened by the filters but then you lose resolution and detail. I have EQ'd them without the filters and they are better but they don't really have anything that makes my ears say "WOW!". My Audeze LCD-XC 2021 is much more resolving and the Cascade with XL pads sounds better to me than the AEON Noire. I do use Dekoni nuggets on my Cascade at 11 and 2 o'clock and I have not had any comfort or looseness issues.
Same with me on the Cascades. Two Nuggets and the XL pads = :thumbsup: If they had a better headband, they would be my only closed backs.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #2,352 of 2,728
I've been enjoying my CA Honeydews quite a bit recently and while I was listening to them earlier, I suddenly remembered these exist. I'm resuming my search for longer term closed-back cans and I'm fairly interested in these, so I have a couple of questions.

Anyone have the Meze 99 Classics to compare? They've been my main (only) closed-back cans for a while now, but I've kind of fallen out of love with them. I enjoy the massive bass a lot, but there's something about the mids, vocals especially, that kinda sounds... thin and unengaging to me, maybe even recessed. I'm under the impression that the Cascades go for a similar sound signature, but how do they compare in the mids specifically?

Also, how are the stock pads compared to the 99C pads? The 99C ones are just about as small as I can go while still having a relatively comfortable listening experience. I see CA is selling XL pads so I'm not super worried about the pad size, but they seem to be out of stock, so I'm not sure how long the wait for those would be. The headband doesn't look great either, but the ZMF Pilot pad apparently fixes that so not too worried about that either. Still, it would obviously be great if comfort wasn't totally garbage out of the box lol.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #2,353 of 2,728
Hey I just got the Cascades and There Great ( Bassy as ) listened to them on my Phone LG-V40 and my 300B tube Amp Questyle CMA-12, and my A&K Kann Cube sound good on all I only have the standard Leather pads atm and have the T4 filters in I noticed the latter version ( Mines close to 1700 ) comes with a Blacked out insignia on the Cups and only T1 & T4 filters no T2-T3 filters.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #2,355 of 2,728
I got some silver wire, 4-Pin XLR & 4.4mm connectors, Just waiting on some Eidiolic HD800 connectors and will make a couple of new cables for them hopefully brings out a bit more detail .
The XL leather pads are also good for the Cascade, widens the perception of soundstage a bit, and I've found them more comfortable for my ears.

I'm also waiting on a 4.4-XLR adapter to use them balanced out from a Jotunheim2 I received earlier this week. I anticipate this may improve resolution and stage a bit further as well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back