Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Oct 4, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #1,951 of 2,728
That was a quick turnover. Why?

I'm actually giving myself a bit more time before I make a final decision.

Now I'm back to using the leather pads with no tuning filters. I feel like the bass goes lower and hits harder than it does with the cloth pads, yet for comfort the cloth pads seem to give me a better seal and more stability when wearing this headphone.

I wonder why Campfire Audio is doing away with filters?

Oct 4, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #1,952 of 2,728

Now I'm back to using the leather pads with no tuning filters. I feel like the bass goes lower and hits harder than it does with the cloth pads, yet for comfort the cloth pads seem to give me a better seal and more stability when wearing this headphone.

When I had these, I found the xl pads made a big difference to comfort. They retained some of the the tonality of the cloth pads but without the scratchy surface.

Aside from the white filter, I didn't really find the other filters did much which might be why Campfire are phasing them out.

As has been mentioned, they genuinely need days of burn in before they come into their own.

Oct 4, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,953 of 2,728
When I had these, I found the xl pads made a big difference to comfort. They retained some of the the tonality of the cloth pads but without the scratchy surface.

Aside from the white filter, I didn't really find the other filters did much which might be why Campfire are phasing them out.

As has been mentioned, they genuinely need days of burn in before they come into their own.

The XL pads definitely make a difference, but I have yet to do an A/B session with them. I tend to like the snug feeling of the regular pad size.

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,954 of 2,728

Well, the Cascade is certainly a headphone that doesn't shy away from its "bass monster" tag. It's hard to find a headphone with a stronger bass presense than the Cascade in the price tier it plays within. I greatly enjoy listening to them, though - they are just fun and unabashedly bass heavy. :)

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,955 of 2,728

Try please the leather without the white filter. It can definitely reapplied, just be a bit careful by removing. The cloth pads are OK for gaming/movie (there I have the white filter), bit for music: leather without filter.

It is actually a rather nice feature (having two different sound signature).

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #1,956 of 2,728
Try please the leather without the white filter. It can definitely reapplied, just be a bit careful by removing. The cloth pads are OK for gaming/movie (there I have the white filter), bit for music: leather without filter.

It is actually a rather nice feature (having two different sound signature).

I remember trying without the filter, but then the treble was too overpowering for my liking.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,957 of 2,728
I decided to try a go at bending the headband... didn't even do that much, yet the difference in comfort is huge.

UPDATE: looks like I'm going to have to do more bending because there is definitely hot-spots going on after I wear this headphone for at least 30 minutes.

ALSO, if anyone is interested in a similar sound-signature in IEM form look up Final Audio E5000. The bass isn't as hard-hitting, but the tuning is fairly similar.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #1,958 of 2,728
I was listening to the Doom OST yesterday and after a few songs I thought that my brain melted. This bass is skull-rattling.

However, I did decide to take off the white filters off and there is a definite increase in sound-stage and less congestion with a now more neutral (not neutral compared to actual neutrality, but compared to Cascade's stock bass response) bass. I'm wondering if anyone has the experience of knowing how many times I'd be able to take and reapply the white filters before the adhesive wears off? I doubt Campfire Audio will be providing extra white filters for those who go this route.

Oct 6, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,959 of 2,728
I decided to try a go at bending the headband... didn't even do that much, yet the difference in comfort is huge.

UPDATE: looks like I'm going to have to do more bending because there is definitely hot-spots going on after I wear this headphone for at least 30 minutes.

ALSO, if anyone is interested in a similar sound-signature in IEM form look up Final Audio E5000. The bass isn't as hard-hitting, but the tuning is fairly similar.
I had this issue. Search on this thread for "Lohb strap." There's someone who sells them on Ebay. Fixes the hotspot issue.

Oct 6, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #1,960 of 2,728
I was listening to the Doom OST yesterday and after a few songs I thought that my brain melted. This bass is skull-rattling.

However, I did decide to take off the white filters off and there is a definite increase in sound-stage and less congestion with a now more neutral (not neutral compared to actual neutrality, but compared to Cascade's stock bass response) bass. I'm wondering if anyone has the experience of knowing how many times I'd be able to take and reapply the white filters before the adhesive wears off? I doubt Campfire Audio will be providing extra white filters for those who go this route.
You could probably apply a little glue/adhesive if the're no longer sticky. BTW: Campfire did send me some extra filters for free when I asked, so maybe they'll have some white ones.

Oct 8, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,961 of 2,728
Can anyone comment on the SXC8 cable upgrade? Sound impressions vs stock? I'd be running my Cascade out of my SR25 DAP.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,962 of 2,728

I love that Final IEM and I used to use them but CA evolved to the point that I prefer their IEMs.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,964 of 2,728
Can anyone comment on the SXC8 cable upgrade? Sound impressions vs stock? I'd be running my Cascade out of my SR25 DAP.

I am using it on the cascades (either leather pads sans white or black filters or cloth stock w/o black filters as well). It makes a great difference to my ears. Better clarity mostly, specially in the bass. They also bring the mids more to the foreground and highs are more polished, less harsh.

The differences are obvious from the get go, but a long burn in is beneficial.

To me the stock cascades have a bit of a fatiguing signature, but with the cloth pads + this cable I can hear them for hrs. Non stop.

I don’ think it is a confortable for street use, too stiff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back