Cary Audio release Nighthawk Headphone Amp May 21st - 1200 USD
Sep 28, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #61 of 75
Quote:
I am burning it in right now, but I did give it a listen for a moment.  I agree that it is a step up form the M1.  The M1 makes a lot of hiss compared to other amps in my collection.  The NH (nighthawk) has very good definition and stereo separation.  Also, it does not generate any heat at all.  Mine have been on for over 24 hrs.

Thanks.  I agree.

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #62 of 75
Quote:
Reminds me of the Accuphase C-3800 preamp. At US$20,000, I doubt if anyone would use it solely as a headphone amp, but trying it only with the LCD-2 Rev 1 and fed with signal from the Esoteric K-01, the experience was one of the most unforgettable ones I have had with headphones. Very few speaker amps have their headphone out specifically designed but not as an after thought, and the Accuphase C-3800 was one of the them - the only other two I can think of happens to be the Leben CS300XS, and the Cary SLi 80 Signature. It is therefore not unreasonable to think that the Nighthawk may actually be up to something. While a high price does not mean quality in some cases, it is quite unreasonable to dismiss it simply because of its price. 

For ~50K, I'd imagine that even Charlie Sheen has had the odd 'unforgettable experience' - he doesn't even need headphones ..... 

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #63 of 75
What...three weeks and no listening impressions post? 
confused.gif

I read the NH review on the enjoythemusic.com website, but much prefer the insight of Head-fiers here. 

Thing is I am into vintage gear and the bang for the buck I get with 70's integrateds and receivers compared to other mid priced ($300-$600) dedicated gear is clearly there, for the same price.  Vintage electronic gear HP output jacks were made directly coupled to the speaker outputs, with a resistor in the signal chain to the headphone jack.  Plain and simple, but the sonic benefits and the ability to drive orthos at their price points (Pioneer SX-1250: now >$500 on E-pay; ditto for Marantz 22XX stuff) continues to surprise me.  I have heard more insanely priced gear and can say that the principle of diminishing returns sets in at some point, but in some cases the sonic benefits of better component-build features that justify the higher prices is clearly there.

Hence, I am looking for something about a dedicated amp that would cause me to open my wallet at that price point.  I like tube-based HP amps for one.  I have the EF5 and Consonance Cyber-20 as reference points though they are not the best reference point by any mean.

BTW, the repartees between several of you a few pages back had me in stitches....this is why I love Head-fi...good natured ribbing is cool.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #65 of 75
A sign of life is a good sign indeed...looking forward to the review.

Noted the output impedance on the HH-1 hybrid design is 5 ohms...same as the NH, which is a solid state.  Read somewhere that most quality SS amps have output impedance levels below 1 ohm and one gets alot less audible garbage and a bit more resolution.  Guessing that if the NH review is favorable, the HH-1 must be quite good considering tube designs have much higher output impedance levels that create the audible problems associated with tube gear.  By "good" I mean to say the tube richness and SS detail that hybrid designs aim for just might be under that hood.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #67 of 75
Quote:
Cant remember if anyone has already posted a link to the Nighthawk Cary Audio minisite, but it might be a better place to find news and reviews than this thread:

http://www.aebycary.com/products/nighthawk/

ToneAudio are promising to review it very, very soon. 
wink.gif

estreeter,

Good point...since this thread is not getting much action as far as member reviews go...a bit too new to the market and with alot of competition, it might take a while....thanks for the link. Chris Martens is a good reviewer, BTW.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #68 of 75
First, I would like to say that Cary Audio is outstanding company with top notch customer service. I am not talking from somebody else experience, but my only. Several years ago I imported Cary 300B integrated myself and glad I did. Not only because the price difference of US vs EU, but simply because this company gives you all support you can only imagine, even you are not located in US and never bought from Cary dealer. This is the best supportive company in my book so far, period.

Back to the amp

Reading both reviews makes me wonder if this amp not to analytical. Even I don't read that in non of the reviewer impressions directly, but cold or pristine clarity with neutral tonal balance somehow translates in analytical in my book, especially if you are willing to use with AKG K701 for example. Also chosen headphones are not particular neutral, most are warmish or simply colored, so, no wonder why they were great through this baby. The mentioned musicality of the amp also doubtful for many differ headphones, again, based on what I have read from these 2 reviews. My guess is that they try to reach both sides with these 2 amps they brought on the market, with one covering warmish and colored headphones and with another, hybrid one, the rest, but then I am just wonder, why not develop one only, like Yoshino did and still produces for ages now, why Cary choose for 2 amps? Maybe it's just a marketing, but I would combine 2 designs in 1 and make hybrid based amp with balanced in and out, done. I think they are able to push the price under/around USD2k for such one and be very competitive with Yoshino and other expensive amps like Zana or BA, but unfortunately, especially for European users, where Cary are very expensive and can't be found very easy used.

I hope they sell a lot, so, we from Europe can buy used
ksc75smile.gif

THX

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #69 of 75
Quote:
Chris Martens is a good reviewer, BTW.

No argument from me, but like any prolific reviewer who gets to sample uber-expensive kit free of charge, Mr Martens has his fair share of critics out there. I like Art Dudley's reviews, but he is openly biased toward analog over digital - I believe that carries with it a certain editorial slant, but we are all human. A review written by a machine would be a very dry affair indeed, even if it did make the PR folk at various audio companies completely redundant overnight !  :wink:

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #70 of 75
I should have made my statement about Chris being a good reviewer with a qualifying statement....he's a "good reviewer with headphones" only in the sense that he's the only one I am aware of that has a subscribing audience through an audio "magazine", even if it is online.  He seems to devote alot of his time to headphone reviews compared to the other usual suspects with a dedicated byline/placement.

Here on Head-fi, we have a whole stable of our own in-house "Chris Martens"-types, with a heckuva lot more experience....they just don't get to be as well-known to people not familiar with our Head-fi gurus.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #71 of 75
I have a sneaking suspicion that Chris Martens has heard a 'helluva lot' more sources and amplifiers than anyone on Head-Fi, Jude included. Doesnt make his ears any more 'golden', but I'm going to out on a limb and say that he could give a decent review of any TOTL headphone rig after an hour or two listening to music he was familiar with. The guys who write for Motor Trend dont throw their arms in the air when someone asks them about a motorcycle ....  :wink:

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #73 of 75
Quote:
Review of the Nighthawk in this issue's TONEAudio magazine.

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_050.pdf

Nice!  Gorgeous pics.  I think I know the dude who wrote that review...
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #74 of 75
Quote:
Review of the Nighthawk in this issue's TONEAudio magazine.
http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_050.pdf

That is a REALLY brief review, not much in the way of sound impressions.  Would be curious to know more about what the issue with the HD800's is.  Also more elaboration on the publishers note at the end regarding Audeze would have been nice.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #75 of 75
Looking to talk to other Nighthawk Amp owners out there. I bought one of these about a year ago from Music Direct for $799. Comes with 2 AD825 opamps installed in 2 DIP Sockets which makes opamp rolling very easy. I am currently using the Burson Supreme opamps, and the results are great compared to the AD825's. Have any other owners rolled opamps in this amp as well? Thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back