Cary Audio release Nighthawk Headphone Amp May 21st - 1200 USD
May 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.avguide.com/article/audio-electronics-cary-audio-announces-nighthawk-solid-state-headphone-amplifier

Tried search - didnt get any hits - anyway, the amp is being released under the somewhat convoluted brand 'Audio Electronics by Cary Audio' - all new to me - and it looks about as basic as a 1200 dollar headphone amp can be, at least IMO.

Not sure how Ray feels about an amp with the same name as one of his phono stages - I guess that's the big guys moving in and doing whatever the hell they damned will like. Press Release is dated May 15th - apologies if Drew or someone else has already posted on this.

May 17, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 75
Quote:
Hopefully there is something under the hood worth that price - aesthetically that is not pleasing.

+1

looks really generic and plain

May 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 75
Dont get me started - I had an entire thread on this recently and was told that 1K was 'entry-level high end' for a headhone amp. If you want to turn this into a debate on the merits of ranking gear by price, bring it on. Save the war stories about your dCS rig for another thread. 

Guys, I agree on the aesthetics and the fact that some will pay simply for the name, but given that NONE OF US HAS HEARD THE %##$%! THING, can we please delay any further criticism until we get some actual listening impressions ?  

Thank you.

May 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 75
http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/

It was an attempt at humor - dCS gear is in that category where if you have to ask the price, you cant afford it - there are shops like that in Singapore and I just stand outside wondering how great it must be to be allowed in the front door. 

May 18, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 75
You have a point, Steve, but wouldnt you expect them to put a bit more time and effort into the casework ? The Nighthawk's sticker price is almost 2.5 times that of the Butte. Even the Muse in your photos is a more attractive looking amp for mine - I know its about whats inside the case, but for 1200 bucks I can understand the lukewarm reception this amp has received at the beginning of this thread. If its a cynical attempt by Cary to cash in on emerging market in difficult economic times, then I shall apologise to my fellow Head-Fiers accordingly. If not, I expect complimentary rooms and meals in a Vegas bordello.  
biggrin.gif

Quid pro quo or muchos nachos - I'm easy. 
wink.gif

May 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 75
Quote:
You have a point, Steve, but wouldnt you expect them to put a bit more time and effort into the casework ? The Nighthawk's sticker price is almost 2.5 times that of the Butte.

I think comparing the sticker price of the Butte versus the Nighthawk is apples and oranges.

Here are the two side by side and drawn to scale:

The Butte is a tiny little thing, built around what appears to be a single piece aluminum extrusion. The Nighthawk is much larger and uses a fully fabricated sheet metal chassis. As far as I can tell, the Butte uses an AC wall wart for its power supply while the Nighthawk has its own torroid based power supply built in and includes discrete regulation. The Butte uses a pair of power opamps. The Nighthawk uses opamps for voltage gain, but they drive discrete class A diamond buffer output stages.

So I'm at something of a loss to understand why the Nighthawk's being priced at nearly 2.5 times the Butte should come as any sort of surprise to anyone or serve as any kind of criticism of the Nighthawk.

se

May 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 75
Thanks for that Steve - it just drives home how ill-informed Audio-Omega was in questioning whether this amp is 'high-end'.  Man, will some people never learn ?  
biggrin.gif

I guess you could say you've handed a real Butte-kicking to anyone who doubts the credentials of this new amp. For all that, we still haven't heard the blessed thing, have we ?   
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back