Cary Audio New Headphone Amps: SH-1 and HH-1
Mar 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ardilla

Headphoneus Supremus
Just learned that Cary Audio Design will launch two headphone amps shortly.

(edit:)

The two headphone ampd are:

Solid state: SH-1
Tube Hybrid HH-1

Price assumed USD 1K+

Quote from CES-report 2012:

A second system in the room featured headphone listening using AKG K702 Reference
Headphones through a choice of our CAD-300SEI single-ended triode tube integrated amplifier,
our new HH-1 hybrid tube headphone amplifier, or SH-1 solid-state headphone amplifier. The
music was sourced from our MS-1 music server played through our Xciter DAC.
The new headphone amplifiers are the first products in a new series of smaller electronics, yet still with the full range of Cary Audio sound and quality. The two high performance headphone amplifiers were shown for the first time at the 2012 CES, one solid-state and one hybrid tube/Mosfet. Both models are brand new designs featuring low output impedance and high current capability, allowing them to drive the most difficult headphones with ease.

Seems like Cary changed their logo as well

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 16
You can take a quick look at the 2 new amps on Cary's  CES/THE Show Report posted in the News section on their site.

Or follow this link:  http://www.caryaudio.com/pdfs/2012%20CES%20Show%20Report.pdf

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Interesting news. I have a Cary SLP-05 preamp, which I absolutely love, but the built in headphone amp it has is deeply flawed. So I hope they got the headphone amps right.

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 16
Headphone amp section in their integrated line was always good, so, I if they took it from there then it must be good, soon we know. What kind of tubes are inside hybrid one?

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 16
I think the Cary SLI-80 Sig is a teriffic headphone amplifier. I'm a bit dissapointed they didn't go for an all tubes-amp... I would like the SLI-80 sound in a smaller package :)

Quote:
Headphone amp section in their integrated line was always good, so, I if they took it from there then it must be good, soon we know. What kind of tubes are inside hybrid one?

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 16
Agree re the 'hope they get it right' sentiment - is it just me, or are the current 'me too' products USB DACs and headphone amps ? At the risk of sounding churlish, a lot of traditional audio paid zero attention to the computer audio/headphone market 3 years ago ..... 

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 16
Big guys move slow - but better slow than not at all. 

Quote:
Agree re the 'hope they get it right' sentiment - is it just me, or are the current 'me too' products USB DACs and headphone amps ? At the risk of sounding churlish, a lot of traditional audio paid zero attention to the computer audio/headphone market 3 years ago ..... 

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 16
Love to hear some comparisons between the new amps and the 300SEI. Which was beatiful with the Senheisser HDs.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 16
I've moved on:

http://www.audiovisions-online.com/content/cary-slp-03-preamp-price-reduced

Now I just have to find the remaining 8K to make my dual-purpose headphone/speaker rig a reality.  
rolleyes.gif

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer
I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"
You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
I've moved on:

http://www.audiovisions-online.com/content/cary-slp-03-preamp-price-reduced

Now I just have to find the remaining 8K to make my dual-purpose headphone/speaker rig a reality.  
rolleyes.gif

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer
I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"
You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do

Okay, I'll bite.  What does the remaining 8k buy?

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 16
Networked music sources seem to be getting better and cheaper (for a given feature set) that I'm loathe to nominate a specific piece of kit. Depending on what I go with, I might also need a separate DAC. Then there's the question of speakers - powered vs passive - and the cost of a speaker amp if I go down the second road. At the moment, I'm thinking something midrange from Genelec/Adam/Mackie - depressingly easy to spend a large chunk of that 8K when you start looking at speakers. Only want two more headphones - AD2K and something at the level of the Westone 4.  Simple enough. 

Its all just talk until I get the money together. Like most people, the real world keeps getting in the way of my obsessions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back