Carver 900 "Magnetic Field Power Amplifier.
Oct 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

oldsoulrevival

New Head-Fier
Earlier this weekend, I was digging around the house and found my uncle's old Carver 900 "Magnetic Field Power Amplifier." Having just purchased the HifiMan he-400s but not having enough to spend on an extra amp at the moment, I decided to test out the headphone amp on it, in case it was an improvement on my PC soundcard (already fairly decent). 

Connected everything, crossed my fingers, powered up the 30 year old amp and put on my headphones, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a solid improvement on my previous set up. Relative to my previous setup, it sounds great! Pretty much every aspect of the he-400s improved.

However, I really have no idea how good the amp actually is compared to say the schiit magni modi stack (what I was planning to getting this Christmas). I was hoping someone here might be able to help me determine how good (or not) this amp's specs are, relative to the aforementioned stack. I know its an improvement on what I had, but I want to know if I've stumbled onto something actually pretty good.

It's hard finding any information on it, but here are a few links. I am not going to post text, because frankly, I don't know enough about electrical components to decide which information to post. Any help is really appreciated!

Links:
Service Manual: http://thecarversite.com/manuals/mandir/Carver%20MXR-900%20service%20manual.pdf
Spec Sheet (on page 2 of PDF):http://thecarversite.com/specsheets/files/MXR-900%20specsheet.pdf
Operating Manual: http://thecarversite.com/manuals/mandir/Carver%20MXR-900%20owner%20manual.pdf

Again, any input is welcomed. There are some discussions online about the amp, but none really focused on headphones.

Thanks, all!

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 9
  Earlier this weekend, I was digging around the house and found my uncle's old Carver 900 "Magnetic Field Power Amplifier." Having just purchased the HifiMan he-400s but not having enough to spend on an extra amp at the moment, I decided to test out the headphone amp on it, in case it was an improvement on my PC soundcard (already fairly decent). 

Connected everything, crossed my fingers, powered up the 30 year old amp and put on my headphones, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a solid improvement on my previous set up. Relative to my previous setup, it sounds great! Pretty much every aspect of the he-400s improved.

However, I really have no idea how good the amp actually is compared to say the schiit magni modi stack (what I was planning to getting this Christmas). I was hoping someone here might be able to help me determine how good (or not) this amp's specs are, relative to the aforementioned stack. I know its an improvement on what I had, but I want to know if I've stumbled onto something actually pretty good.

It's hard finding any information on it, but here are a few links. I am not going to post text, because frankly, I don't know enough about electrical components to decide which information to post. Any help is really appreciated!

Links:
Service Manual: http://thecarversite.com/manuals/mandir/Carver%20MXR-900%20service%20manual.pdf
Spec Sheet (on page 2 of PDF):http://thecarversite.com/specsheets/files/MXR-900%20specsheet.pdf
Operating Manual: http://thecarversite.com/manuals/mandir/Carver%20MXR-900%20owner%20manual.pdf

Again, any input is welcomed. There are some discussions online about the amp, but none really focused on headphones.

Thanks, all!

Here:

http://www.google.com/patents/US4484150

AFAICT, they use TRIACs to modulate the PS primary coil depending on output load.
Meh ...

pfff Ignore mr Meh

That's great that you found a Vintage amp that you like! I would say if you like it... maybe look into getting it resotred! An by restored I mean upgrading an replaceing a lot of the compents in it to give you a better overall sound and keep the amp running a little bit longer
they dont change the circuit just upgrade everything in int

though it couild cost like $500 or so dollars

but I would enjoy the amp man! Every one and their brother has a Schiit Magni, how many people can say they have a Vintage Carver 900 Magnetic Feild Power Amp? 

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 9
The power electrolytics take a beating on that amp, you should replace them
before they go boom and spill nasty goo all over the amp.

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 9

Good point 

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Is this easy enough to do that if I do a little reading, I can accomplish it myself? If so, any good starting places for me to read so that I don't mess this up?

If not, what sort of store am I looking for? A general electronics repair shop?

Also, thanks everyone for the replies - helps a lot.

I will likely look into refurbishing the unit. Like you said Mshenay, it's not every day that someone has this amp and it's kind of a fun amp to listen to with the he-400s. If nothing else, it's working for me in the meantime between now and whenever I get a  new amp.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 9

Is this easy enough to do that if I do a little reading, I can accomplish it myself? If so, any good starting places for me to read so that I don't mess this up?

If not, what sort of store am I looking for? A general electronics repair shop?

Also, thanks everyone for the replies - helps a lot.

I will likely look into refurbishing the unit. Like you said Mshenay, it's not every day that someone has this amp and it's kind of a fun amp to listen to with the he-400s. If nothing else, it's working for me in the meantime between now and whenever I get a  new amp.

If it was me I'd try to keep it alive till I could afford to get it Refurbished, and I have no idea what you'd look for 

maybe see if your local college or univiersity has an electronics Major Program, and talk to the instructor! Get some students some pratical pratice and maybe get a upgrade for super cheap 

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Sure. It makes sense to spend money on an amp whose technology was DOA to begin with, when with the similar money he could get, just for example, an iBasso PB2, which is not only a portable setup (always useful with HPs), but very likely even better sounding than the 30yo Carver.
Mentioned PB2 only because it can drive a mule at Nascar, not because I have anything to do with iBasso.

If the OP does not have $$ to toss into a new amp right now, I would use it as is, hoping that in case it goes off, it has output protection, and does not take the HP with it.
The point with electrolytic capacitors is a real one, as in a solid state electronic machine, it is the first to go with age.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 9
tru. But the pb2 should be used balanced so op b sure to get a 4pin xlr to hirose6pin adapter so u can use a 4pin xlr cable with your he 400

the balanced 4pin cable is easy enough to find. iBasso sells the adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back