Cartridge suggestion?
Nov 9, 2003 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tommyatkins

500+ Head-Fier
Todd,
I have an old JVC L-FX4 turntable I've permenantly "borrowed" from my parents, in order to listen to old vinyl. I have no idea how old the current Audio-Technica SLT88E cartridge is and I'm thinking of replacing it. I assume this is a really bad turntable, and I am wondering if I would really hear much benefit by replacing the cartridge with, say, the Grado Black (P-Mount). I assume you are unfamiliar with both my cartridge and TT, but what is your feelings on using this Grado Cartridge on my TT? Should I just go for the cheapest cart I can find? Thanks

Nov 10, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 15
The Grado Black for $36 is about as good for the money as you can get. I wouldn't recommend going more than the Grado Blue with your setup.

There are no really bad turntables, just bad digital sources
biggrin.gif

You can call me on my toll fre number if you would like to discuss this in length ... 866-444-3910

Nov 11, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd
The Grado Black for $36 is about as good for the money as you can get. I wouldn't recommend going more than the Grado Blue with your setup.

There are no really bad turntables, just bad digital sources
biggrin.gif

I agree with those recommendations. It also depends on the original MSRP - not the discounted street price - of that old turntable. For a direct-drive, full-automatic Technics turntable whose original MSRP was $220, using the rule of one-fourth to one-half of the original list price of that turntable, I would pick anything from a Grado Green to a Grado Red for that particular table, depending on how good (or how crappy) is the phono stage in use.

Nov 12, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 15
well since this thread has been started here, how about a cartridge recommendation for a rotel rp-855? i am still using the stock at100e.

thanks!

Nov 12, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 15
I have a question. My parents have an old turntable they don't use much, but we've got a ton of LP's either stored away or in the cabinet under the stereo. Is it all in the cartidge, or would the turntable cripple whatever beautiful melodies the cartridge is getting? I can get the model nubmer of the turntable if you want.

Nov 13, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 15
Hi niubi,

I would recommend the Grado Gold or the Shure V15. Both will perform well with the Rotel. I have been experimenting with the V15 and will have more info on it soon.

MD1032,

In order to match you with an appropriate cartridge I'll need to know the make and model of the turntable. The cartridge is critical but not the only factor in the chain. Depending on the arm and deck, you may overspend on a cartridge the rest of the setup can't match for quality.

Todd

Nov 13, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 15
Consider the Audio-Technica 440ML (my personal favorite):

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=A3

Note -- not a specific recommendation for this dealer (they're not one of my favorites), just for informational purposes.

The Shure V15VxMR will likely be better than the 440ML, but you won't find it for $89.95... nor anything else decent with a line contact stylus in that price range. The AT440ML is a ridiculously underpriced and overperforming cartridge, especially good if you have an inexpensive table and don't want to lay down the dough for a cartridge over $200. You can find it for around $100 from plenty of dealers.

Jan 5, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Consider the Audio-Technica 440ML (my personal favorite):

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merc...tegory_Code=A3

Note -- not a specific recommendation for this dealer (they're not one of my favorites), just for informational purposes.

The Shure V15VxMR will likely be better than the 440ML, but you won't find it for $89.95... nor anything else decent with a line contact stylus in that price range. The AT440ML is a ridiculously underpriced and overperforming cartridge, especially good if you have an inexpensive table and don't want to lay down the dough for a cartridge over $200. You can find it for around $100 from plenty of dealers.

I second this. Unless you are going to spend big bucks, Audio Technica is the way to go. I am not impressed with Grado's at all. But they will give a "brighter" sound to a dull system.

Jan 6, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
I second this. Unless you are going to spend big bucks, Audio Technica is the way to go. I am not impressed with Grado's at all. But they will give a "brighter" sound to a dull system.

I'm not a Grado cartridge fan either (at least on the lower end with their "Prestige" models... never heard anything on the high end).

The advantage you note may be because they're moving iron cartridges and relatively unaffected by capacitance & loading issues compared to MM carts, afaik. But there's that hum issue with some tables (particularly older vintage models), and I found tracking to be very underwhelming. It's amazing how important good tracking ends up being to overall sound quality.

Jan 6, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 15
Cartridges will always be a compromise. In my experience I've found (in most cases) cartridges with the best tracking have the worst overall sound quality, and cartridges that sound best overall have relatively poor tracking.

I personally don't care much for any of the current A-T offerings, due to their thin sound (in fact, even more thin and shrill than CD sound) even after 800 hours of use. But I've also found Grados to suffer from mediocre tracking.

YMMV.

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Cartridges will always be a compromise. In my experience I've found (in most cases) cartridges with the best tracking have the worst overall sound quality, and cartridges that sound best overall have relatively poor tracking.

For what it's worth, I've found no association or relationship whatsoever between trackability and overall sound quality.
Quote:

I personally don't care much for any of the current A-T offerings, due to their thin sound (in fact, even more thin and shrill than CD sound) even after 800 hours of use. But I've also found Grados to suffer from mediocre tracking.

YMMV.

Again FWIW, the AT440ML is Audio Technica's top of the line cart (and the only one I'd personally recommend). I don't find it thin sounding at all, but it can be very clean, analytical and detailed, "modern" sounding (some people prefer a more colored, "richer" midbass-bloomy, old-school tone -- almost like the transistors vs tubes thing). I suppose VTA could be the cause of a thin or shrill sound if it were off by much with the 440ML... any cart with a line contact stylus that tends toward the bright side will be in serious trouble without careful attention to VTA and stylus rake angle.

Of course, the turntable may have something to do with it too... cartridge/tonearm/turntable synergy is often overlooked but imo very important. I've heard the same cartridge sounding very different in two different setups before.

Jan 7, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
[BAgain FWIW, the AT440ML is Audio Technica's top of the line cart [/B]

?? Aren't they still making the OC-9
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back