Cartridge Problem?
Nov 28, 2007 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
hey all,

my current setup is a music hall mmf 2.1 with an audio technica 440MLa cart, and have noticed something a little weird about the stylus. When playing a record, the stylus itself seems to be riding very low, and it almost seems be bending almost up to the cartridge body. The sound has not changed since i put it on... it sounds great on my good lps. However, im concerned that the bending of the stylus may lead to a short life and possibly breaking it.... My tracking force was set with both the balance gauge that came with the deck, and a small digital scale to the proper tracking force...

Is the compliance of this cart very low? or should i not worry that much?

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 21
it is adjustable on the mmf, but im not completely sure how to do it, as the instructions that came with the deck are pretty vague. anyone have this or a different music hall deck know how to adjust this?

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 21
Well if your TT is anything like my MMF-5 (specifically the arm) there should be 2 very small allen wrench bolts along the base of the arm spaced evenly apart near the back. One should be very near the base of the arm lift. Loosen them very carefully and that allows you to adjust VTA. What I do is stick playing cards in the gap between the cuff that holds the arm rest and the base of the table so that when you do loosen the bolds the arm doesnt emediately fall to its lowest VTA. This method also allows you to roughly mesure how high your VTA is set. For example say its at 15 cards right now and you bump it up the 20 cards and thats to high, but then you try 18 and thats perfect. This way you always now VTA should be set at 18 cards. After you do this you have to readjust VTF.

edit: If you post a picture of the cart in action it will be much easier for us to diagnose the problem.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 21
thanks for the info, ill try to get some good shots when i get out of work early today... i might need some clarification with the card trick, as im not positive what your referring to, ill have to be looking at my arm and reading your post to figure it out probably.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 21
im going to have to borrow a roomates camera to take this, as my sh**** cell phone camera isnt going to cut it.,

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 21
heres the pic...

not sure if thats good enough, i took a bunch so let me know if this is any help in deducing this issue

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 21
well dude, i'm by no means an expert, just recently got into vinyl myself and am enjoying my first deck/cart, but from the pic, it looks perfectly fine to me.

i have a rega p3-24 with rega elys cartridge and the position of my stylus is very similar. not that this means anything, as we have different TTs and carts, but still.

anyway, wait for more answers from people who know more than me, but i think you just worry too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 21
i suppose i could be just a little anal... i cant help it
smily_headphones1.gif
... I guess what im making comparisons to is the "music tracker" that was originally on the mmf 2.1 deck, that i put on an older deck for a friend... its a crappier pic but you may see the difference..

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 21
You need to double check your VTF - that is, your down force. See if you can get something that you can check out he balance you were using with. I have access to HQ balances in work and I weighed a little plastic nut that worked out at 1.5g. I use that to check my balance each time before I use it.

From the pic above, it doesn't look all that low. Its hard to tell though just from a pic.

Sorry I can't give you more!

Fran

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 21
ive pretty much triple checked the tf, however i dont have any super duper expensive scales to measure it, just a balance one that came with the deck and a small digital scale, thats accurate to .1g.... the recommended TF for the cart is 1.4g and im right around that mark give or take .1g

Nov 29, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 21
im getting a shure tf measurement balance, maybe thatll work better.

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heres the pic...

not sure if thats good enough, i took a bunch so let me know if this is any help in deducing this issue

I think you're alright. My setup is also like that. Yours looks very good. The needle of the stylus looks almost perpendicular to the vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back