Cartridge help
Jul 19, 2007 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tator

100+ Head-Fier
Well I finally got my TT rig setup. Restored Dual 1229Q -> Marantz 2270. I bought the TT off eBay, and it came with a Shure V15 III cartridge. I've been playing records for a couple days now, and while they sound good, I can't help feeling that it sounds a little flat. This may be due to the age of the records since some new ones I bought sound a lot better. Also, I know it's not gonna be as good as a CD, but I feel I could use a little more detail. But my biggest beef is the lack of bass. It doesn't extend or slam anywhere near the way it does on CD's. And it's not the receiver, since it sounds exactly the same on each phono input. I can get a new stylus, if I need one, for about $20, but I'd be willing to spend around $100 on a new cartridge if it would help with the bass, reduce the flatness, and just generally improve the whole sound. I researched a little and I'm looking at the Shure M97, the Ortofon OM10/20, and maybe a Grado, but I heard they don't track well. The guy at my record shop gave me the impression that the cartridge really isn't that important, and that I'd be fine with a $20-40 one, but I thought I'd come here for a second opinion.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 4
quote It doesn't extend or slam anywhere near the way it does on CD's.

A strenth of CD's is deep bass articulation, dynamic range and center channel imaging. LP's can sound more relaxed being analog.

The V15 type III is a good cartirdge combined with the Dual tone arm. You can try a third party replacement stylus for much less than the factory, I have had some good ones. Quality varies so buy from a researched (from Audio Asylum) supplier.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 4
Tator,
how old is the stylus, this is very important. If it's old and worn, it may well damage your LP collection. Is the cartridge set-up right in the headshell. Some arms/headshells are easier/harder than others. If I remember right the series 3 was supposed to be one of Shure's best. The stylus profile will determine it's life and of course how much you use it. Having said that I don't remember Shure having a reputation for very good bass. Can you take a look at the stylus with say a jeweller's eyeglass.

As to what the man in the shop told you - he knows JackS about vinyl. It is'nt just the cartridge that is important but how it gells with a particular arm and as I mentioned above how it is set-up.

You can't get bass from vinyl - try some Reggie 45s and then tell me, vinyl does'nt do bass. It was DJs who brought about the vinyl revival (some of us never abandoned it anyway) precisely because CD could'nt cut the mustard basswise.

I use Pickering XV-15 and it blows away other more expensive MMs - put simply it brings music alive, all types of music.

What kind of platform is the TT sitting on - this is'nt just important for TTs but for CDPs as well. If you can't provide a very heavy platform for the deck to sit on, use a quality wallshelf. Also is the TT sitting absolutely level.

These receivers are OK to get you started but you cannot beat a dedicated phono stage. I used to be happy years ago with a Lehman SS but you can't beat a good valve/tube one. You can play with one of these changing components to get exactly the sound you like.

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 4
You have good ears Black Stuart. I have a Decca cartridge with the Decca tonearm and thought that was a lively combination. The Pickering matched it in many ways without the tracking problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back