Cartridge for the Rega P3
Sep 21, 2009 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
Is there much of a quality difference between using a Rega Elys 2 Cartridge and an Exact 2 Cartridge?
I'm leaning towards the more expensive cartridge but would like to get an understanding of the quality difference before I make the decision.

Also are there other cartridges worth my consideration for the Rega P3?
I've heard good about Ortofon cartridge with it somewhere although I've since forgotten the specifics of which one they were talking about to actually look into.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohemianism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there much of a quality difference between using a Rega Elys 2 Cartridge and an Exact 2 Cartridge?
I'm leaning towards the more expensive cartridge but would like to get an understanding of the quality difference before I make the decision.

Also are there other cartridges worth my consideration for the Rega P3?
I've heard good about Ortofon cartridge with it somewhere although I've since forgotten the specifics of which one they were talking about to actually look into.

IMO there's a big difference between the Elys 2 and the Exact 2. I find the Elys to be overly warm, a little dull sounding, slower and a poorer tracker than the Exact.
I like the Exact better, but still find that it can be a little strident in the treble. Both cartridges have a very high output and are not very forgiving of surface noise.

I would also look at a Denon DL 160 at a lower cost than the Elys and my favorite on a P3, the Dynavector DV10x5 which is cheaper than the Exact.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

The review of Stereophile of the cartridge seemed pretty good.

What other cartridges should I be looking at?

That depends on what other electronics/speakers you have, what kind of music you listen to and what kind of tonal colouration you prefer (warm, bright, forward, etc.). You also don't want to get to a point where the phono cartridge is too good for the turntable and the P3 becomes your limiting factor.

The Dynavector is a well-balanced, good all around cartridge that will work in most systems.
As an example, the Exact can seem bright in some systems and the Denon DL160 can seem cold and clinical.
I've heard the Goldring 1042gx sound extremely good in some systems and mediocre in others. The Audio-Technica AT-OC9 is very good, but you need a phono preamp that can step up low output moving coil cartridges.

The Ortofon 2M Black and 2M Bronze have good reviews as well as the Audio-Technica AT150mlx, but I've never heard them in a P3.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 16
So I've looked around a bit more and my lists grown. But I suppose it's better to have more decisions and be more educated than know nothing.

Dynavector 10X5
Goldring 1042 (is there much difference between this as the 1022gx)
Clear Audio Aurum Alpha Mk2

Then at the very top of my budget I've been looking at these, although I'd only want to spend it if the gains are worth it.
Clear Audio Beta Mk2
Ortofon 2m Black
Dynavector 20x

So yeah feedback on these would be good, particularly if anyone has an understanding of how they pair with the Rega p3-24, although any general feedback would be good.

Also what different things do I need to consider between MM and MC cartridges?

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Then at the very top of my budget I've been looking at these, although I'd only want to spend it if the gains are worth it.
Clear Audio Beta Mk2
Ortofon 2m Black
Dynavector 20x

these are all nice carts and the gains are worth it if you are upgrading from a lesser cart but...

Since it's your first deck as per your other thread I would say don't spend loads on a cart but use all of your budget to get the best turntable you can afford.

The quality of the deck itself is far more important than any improvement you can get from putting on a more expensive cart.

You should allocate funds to the deck followed by the arm, then cart, then phonostage in that order.

This is because the cart can only track as well as the arm allows and will for instance imediately pick up the noise of the main bearing on a lesser turntable and be muddied by resonances on a lesser arm. So a basic cart like the 50USD Audio Tecnhica AT95E can even outperform a cart like the Dynavector DV20 if it's mounted on a much better table and arm.

The Rega arm is really far too good for the Rega P3 turntable so no worries there but the deck itself is pretty rudimentary so you're better off going higher up the range or looking at other brands.

If you can go and listen at a dealers listening room then you'll be much better placed to make these kind of decisions.

godd luck

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 16
the opportunity for me to look at other decks is not really that feasible, at least not in the next several months.
I live in Adelaide and there are no hifi stores selling turntables down here. Nearest in Melbourne and it's about 900 km away.

I was interest in buying second hand but again my location supremely sucks. With shipping being so expensive and all the savings of second hand are reduced.

Most people have been saying the Rega p3 is pretty good.
What would you recommend instead?
Being in Australia the gear is really expensive and higher model escalate in price quite dramatically.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Most people have been saying the Rega p3 is pretty good.
What would you recommend instead?
Being in Australia the gear is really expensive and higher model escalate in price quite dramatically.

It is good but the Dynavector DV20, in the UK anyway, is the same amount again or more so if you have that much to spend I'd also consider a Roksan Radius or Michell TecnoDek or even a GyroDek SE.
Other contenders would be the ProJect RPM6, Clearaudio Blue Emotion or Marantz TT-15.

It's hard to know without a firmer idea of budget as obviously these things vary from country to country depending on exchange rates.

2nd hand Linn LP12's do seem to be fairly common in Australia so that would also be something to look out for.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 16
I have used both an Elys 2 and an Exact on a P3-24. I found the Exact to be significantly better. I remember the key differences being a lower surface noise, better detail retrieval, more punchy. I miss my Exact, I found it to be a lively and engaging listen.

Currently using a 2M Black, this is a more laid back performer compared to the Exact which I miss in some ways. On the plus side the 2M Black is more refined and more resolving and is a great cartridge, works just fine on the Rega arm.

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2nd hand Linn LP12's do seem to be fairly common in Australia so that would also be something to look out for.

Where are some places I can look. I know of ebay and audiogon, what other places should I keep my eye on?

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Where are some places I can look. I know of ebay and audiogon, what other places should I keep my eye on?

I think the main Linn dealers were these guys Decibel hi-fi . they may know someone nearer to you who will be able to help.
That Systemdek they have with the Rega arm looks very nice indeed. Personally I'd take that over a Rega P3 like a shot.
At least buying from a dealer like this you can be sure that it'll be packed properly which is the main issue with shipping turntables over any distance, anmd that you'll be supported.

Systemdeks are also a good deck to look for as they are still sold by Audio Note Home Page. Thorens as well as they made so many that the spares are easy to come by if you want to got the 2nd hand route.

I'd also recommend you look at local classified ads newspapers and craigslist or equivalent.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm now looking at possible getting a second hand Vpi Scout, I was told I can get a new motor for a couple of hundred dollars and then it'll work fine in Australia's voltage, although I'm still researching the merits and drawbacks of this.
If anyone knows please share (although I'm not sure I'll get much response in this thread, may need to ask it as a new topic).

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

I'm now looking at possible getting a second hand Vpi Scout, I was told I can get a new motor for a couple of hundred dollars and then it'll work fine in Australia's voltage, although I'm still researching the merits and drawbacks of this.
If anyone knows please share (although I'm not sure I'll get much response in this thread, may need to ask it as a new topic).

As it's your first foray into vinyl I'd be wary. Shipping fragile things like turntables locally, nevermind overseas, requires a lot of knowledge on the part of the shipper, often specific to a particular model. If the deck is 2nd hand you have very little comeback if the thing arrives damaged, which it invariabley will.

I have had well packed decks turn up with the motor spindle bent by being thrown around by careless couriers. Have got the money back in the end but it's been a long drawn out process, where the courier will put unrealistic conditions ranging from servicing quotes from the original company, a registered servicer to having a poke around it themselves. Upon which they'll conclude it's broken and try and palm you off with an Ion USB turntable or something....all of which will of course be at your own expense, before they eventually pay out half of what you claimed in about 1 years time, and then say " oh well that's just our policy"....

I'd look as close to home as possible. Same continent anyway.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Yeah was thinking today, it's my first turntable and I'm not sure I was the hassle of going second hand from overseas right away. If something happens, whether damage, or me needing some help, I want someone to turn to.
I'm still holding a little bit of an inkling towards doing it, but it's fading.

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 16
personally I am not a fan of the scout series of tables from VPI as to me they sound overly dark. I'd stick with a Linn LP12 used if you can find one. Keep in mind there will be large price variations in LP12 depending on how old they are are and what upgrades have been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back