Cartridge for Pro-Ject Debut
Aug 2, 2008 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
The stylus of my ortofon 05E has broken, so I figure it's time for an upgrade. My budget would stretch to a Grado gold, but would this cartridge be too much for the debut?

Any other cartridges that would go better with the turntable?

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stylus of my ortofon 05E has broken, so I figure it's time for an upgrade. My budget would stretch to a Grado gold, but would this cartridge be too much for the debut?

Any other cartridges that would go better with the turntable?

If your debut is a DC current table (has a wall wart), then the gold would be great! However, if it is an early Debut and runs off of AC (plugs directly to the wall - no wall wart), then stay away from Grado - stay with a shielded cartridge.

I am of the opinion that you cannot overdo it with cartridges. In fact, when I bought my Xpression III, I was considering the Debut III and placing my Grado Platinum on it. $300 cart on a $300 table didn't sound like too much to me.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 12
No. The table is fine. I used to own a debut III with a grado gold. I would invest in their speed box II. For about 150 it takes the table up a major notch. I don't think this table is much of a limitation- it has a fabulous arm and with the speed box I cannot find anything to dislike.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacific Microsonics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. The table is fine. I used to own a debut III with a grado gold.

If he has a Debut III, you are absolutely right, but the oldest Debuts were AC if I recall correctly.

That makes a nasty hum with Grado.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he has a Debut III, you are absolutely right, but the oldest Debuts were AC if I recall correctly.

That makes a nasty hum with Grado.

I've used a Grado Gold and Platinum with two AC decks. I got a little hum on the Orbe, but rearranging the wires got rid of it.

To the OP, if you can get a Grado Gold, it's a terrific cartridge. I upgraded with the new deck, but a friend of mine is spinning my Planar 3/Grado Gold setup. It sounds great.

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your debut is a DC current table (has a wall wart), then the gold would be great! However, if it is an early Debut and runs off of AC (plugs directly to the wall - no wall wart), then stay away from Grado - stay with a shielded cartridge.

I am of the opinion that you cannot overdo it with cartridges. In fact, when I bought my Xpression III, I was considering the Debut III and placing my Grado Platinum on it. $300 cart on a $300 table didn't sound like too much to me.

Great points!

The Gold will have some hum if it's an AC table.. I'd go for the Ortofon OM 10... Then if you want you can just upgrade the stylus to the next level, like I did. I started with the 10 (elliptical) and currently use the 30 (Fine Line).

Nick

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 12
Looking at the wall wart, it seems it's just a transformer and puts out AC... this is getting confusing
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 12
Hmm... Haven't heard of that one before. I have the Xpression III and it has no problems with Grado. Maybe you can get the hi-fi shop to install it and check. But I don't think you will have problems.

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 12
Seeing the deck states it is a Debut II, I would stay away from the Grado's. A Grado Gold was the first cartridge on my early Debut II as soon as I broke the OM5E [newbie] and I could not get rid of the hum.

Now... as far as Pro-Ject tables go, I am pretty sure most of them [if not all] use AC motors, and the Speed Box simply regenerates the AC sine wave to a locked frequency. I've had the Debut II and III, RPM5 and now RPM9.1 and they all run with AC motors.

Of course, decks higher up the product line have their motors shielded so hum is a non-issue.

Back to the post of the OP... if it is a Debut II, you have the thin tube lightweight tonearm. The suggestion for a OM10 was a good one, especially since you can upgrade the stylus as budget permits. There is nothing wrong with the OM line.

One other option for the Debut II is the Shure M97xE. To me it is a good match and one that I still have on the deck... although that deck is now reserved for playing non-pristine records, so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back