Cartoon Discussion Thread
Jul 5, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #33 of 76
Hah! To bad the best shows still has to be released on blu ray
frown.gif

Futurama is available on Blu-ray‎ now.

P.S. I love STAX too!

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #34 of 76
Futurama is one of those shows I always enjoy whenever I watch it, but for some reason I just never sit down and watch through all the seasons I have available to me on Netflix. I've seen the first couple seasons...I really need to get back into it.

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #35 of 76
Futurama is one of those shows I always enjoy whenever I watch it, but for some reason I just never sit down and watch through all the seasons I have available to me on Netflix. I've seen the first couple seasons...I really need to get back into it.

I've seen the entire series multiple times.
cool.gif

Some of the later seasons are the best, in my opinion.

Still, though, Invader Zim is worth watching before that! It's funny how their target audience was 9 to 12 year olds, but teenagers and adults ended up liking it more, so it became a cult classic of sorts.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #37 of 76
  I didn't know that, maybe it's time for me to grab the blu. And yes, STAX is the best 
atsmile.gif

Whenever an older show is released on Blu-ray, I always wonder whether it's actually higher quality (like closer to the original source material) or just remastered or upscaled or something.

Feel free to join us here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread

P.P.S. In Flames is my favorite band. I'm sure you know them, since you're from the same town as them.

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #38 of 76
I've often felt that higher definition has limited utility for older material, anyway, since pre-CGI animation has softer edges. I have the complete Powerpuff Girls on DVD (which I promptly Handbraked, since changing discs is a drag), and even watching it close up on my FHD phone display I don't really feel like the resolution is lacking. If there were a high-end re-release I wouldn't feel compelled to replace my existing set.

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #39 of 76
I've often felt that higher definition has limited utility for older material, anyway, since pre-CGI animation has softer edges. I have the complete Powerpuff Girls on DVD (which I promptly Handbraked, since changing discs is a drag), and even watching it close up on my FHD phone display I don't really feel like the resolution is lacking. If there were a high-end re-release I wouldn't feel compelled to replace my existing set.

Yes, if the original source material was only DVD quality or perhaps even lower, it doesn't make sense that Blu-ray would provide a benefit, since I'd assume it would only be upscaled to a higher resolution, which could end up making it worse instead of equal or better. Then again, some Blu-ray releases are remastered or redone in various ways, so moot point for those. But I have to wonder if some shows previously released on DVD were actually scaled down at the time, with the original source being higher resolution, but not released that way until Blu-ray was available.

One of my favorite series of all time—Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni aka When They Cry—was originally on DVD, but released on Blu-ray in 1080p later. Haven't bought it yet. Dunno if it'll actually be higher quality. Super excited either way. It's an anime, though.

Have you been watching the new Powerpuff Girls series? Any thoughts? I keep up with every episode, but it isn't nearly as good as the original. I thought it was pretty awesome that they did a crossover with Teen Titans Go! recently.

By the way...you live less than two hours away from me!
eek.gif

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #40 of 76
I haven't. I heard about it early on but lost track, and by the time I remembered it had already been going for a while.

I know it might sound petty, but one of the big reasons I wasn't more excited about it was that they didn't go with the original voice talent for the girls. Granted, I imagine Tara Strong might have been a bit difficult to get to commit on account of her currently pulling Pony duty, but I'm sure something could have been arranged. The official word was that they wanted to go in a different direction from the original series and that's why they went with new talent, but I watched one of the trailers and just felt that whole uncanny valley thing the whole time.

And yeah, I noticed you were in Michigan as well. Last I checked, so's Jude. It's a small world, after all...

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #41 of 76

Whenever an older show is released on Blu-ray, I always wonder whether it's actually higher quality (like closer to the original source material) or just remastered or upscaled or something.

Feel free to join us here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/676272/the-entry-level-stax-thread

P.P.S. In Flames is my favorite band. I'm sure you know them, since you're from the same town as them.

I've actually met a member of In Flames, good people and a great band. Just wished their music was a bit better mastered/mixed. Most cartoon and anime are upscaled when remastered, the difference is often very big and sometimes not. Depends if they had a HDdvd release before or so. However, the quality is always better in every aspect! I've been trying to get into the STAX threads, but i just get tired from reading everything hah! It's a pleasure to meet other STAX fans though!!

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #42 of 76
  I've actually met a member of In Flames, good people and a great band. Just wished their music was a bit better mastered/mixed. Most cartoon and anime are upscaled when remastered, the difference is often very big and sometimes not. Depends if they had a HDdvd release before or so. However, the quality is always better in every aspect! I've been trying to get into the STAX threads, but i just get tired from reading everything hah! It's a pleasure to meet other STAX fans though!!

In that case, we have a metal thread here too!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal

I met Jesper once, and one of my friends has hung out with the band countless times.

How does upscaling increase the quality instead of decrease it?

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #45 of 76
  I gotta support the local product, so,....   enjoy   
beyersmile.png

https://www.swamp.com.au/

Oh yeah, I forgot that comic strips are still technically cartoons even though they aren't animated and typically aren't referred to as cartoons in America. My favorite comic (not counting Japanese manga; my favorite for that is Rosario + Vampire) is Calvin & Hobbes. I get the feeling that some comics aren't cartoons, though. For example, more serious superhero comics like Spider-Man and Spawn. (Though animated series were made for those too.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back