Carried away?
Apr 23, 2002 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

NavyASW02

New Head-Fier
Is it possible to get carried away with the whole headphone scene? I came on here looking for one pair of really nice headphones for my digital piano and for whatever else I might use it for. Now after reading all this stuff, I want about 3 headphones that'll cost me an arm and a leg. I narrowed it down to the Sony V6 for a cheaper but good closed phone, Senn HD600 for an open headphone, and the Ety ER4-p. Damn it, I think you people are contagious!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 40
(Ultra-sarcastic: ) Noooooooooooooooooooooh!

Apr 23, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 40
Hence: welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet
wink.gif

Besides, good headphones aren't a want, they're a NEED

you NEED good portable headphones
you NEED good high end home listening headphones
and you NEED a pair of etys.. just because
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 40
you NEED 2 pairs each!!!

cuz family members and friends are going to steal em away from you and you'll never hear it again!
heheheh

ahahh you forgot to add an amp too! lock your money away or watch em burn!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 40
Certain people have been known to get carried away by certain aspects of the hobby. For example, some people get carried away by tubes, and start buying them to excess. I won't name names, though (just 'cause I got a deal on 49 small signal tubes this week isn't excess, is it?
confused.gif
)

Apr 23, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 40
I don't think it's a good idea for people to get a whole bunch of headphones really fast; I think it should be a slow progression. buy a headphone, enjoy it for maybe half a year or so (or even longer! I used a Grado SR80 for about 9 months before upgrading to the K401s), and then buy another one later to see how it compares. Headphones are just like any hobby. There's nothing truly wrong with having a big collection as long as you appreciate what you have and you feel that it's worth it. it's certainly not for everyone, and that's not at all suprising. If you think that having three expensive headphones is too much, then by all means don't get three expensive headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif
buy just one for the time being and dream about the ones you haven't gotten yet. that's the best part IMO!

Apr 23, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 40
Your case is not that unusual.
But you must come to accept that there is a very strong probability that three phones will not be enough.
And I didn’t hear you mention your new amp? What! You don’t have a new amp?

Yes you do

very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 40
The only way you can survive leaving here without a new pair of headphones is to have something bite your ears off. That won't do either, by then you need them for cosmetic reasons.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 9:26 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

There's nothing truly wrong with having a big collection as long as you appreciate what you have and you feel that it's worth it.

That's just the problem with some people; they aren't appreciating what they have! They always feel that there's some higher model number out there that is better than the rig they have. Until they spend the money to purchase a top-of-the-line system, they'll feel unfulfilled and dissatisfied until they do. Such is the nature of materialism (I know, because I've been through it). If I made a bet with every member in here that they would not be able to resist the temptation to buy another set of headphones for one and a half years, I'd be rich beyond my wildest dreams!

Apr 23, 2002 at 9:27 AM Post #11 of 40
hey NavyASW02, go read up on amps...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by NavyASW02
Is it possible to get carried away with the whole headphone scene

For myself, I find that a different headphone for every mood swing is a requirement.

Apr 23, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 40
Notice my "member since" date over there on the left? Since February, I have now or have had and since sold or traded the following:

Sennheiser HD 580s (2 pairs), HD 600
Grado sr60, sr225
Stax sr34, sr80, SR001 MKII
JMT Penguine amp, Headroom Supreme
Koss CDP 2045
Sharp MD MS702
Panasonic 570

and am now contemplating a Cosmic or MG head or both

But you asked if I am carried away???

NO, NO I SAY, THESE ARE ALL THINGS I NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back