Carrie USB-Powered Headphone Amplifier
Dec 11, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #843 of 913
If there were enough interest, say 50+ boards, and Joneeboi still has the files around, I think a group but would be cool. I wouldn't mind putting in the time and effort. Plus could use a few bords myself!

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #844 of 913
So what is the status with this project?

I've read the first 30 pages of this thread, which got as far as the first batch of prototypes. Was there ever another batch? Maybe a final official version?

The schematic and board from the second post seems to be the same as the prototype, so I'm guessing no revision was published after the prototypes.

I've been thinking about making something similar for the past months. I searched if such a thing already existed and found this thread. This is exactly what I had in mind. I'd be interested in 2 boards if another batch is planned. Though at this point I think we'd have to verify if the parts are still available...

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #845 of 913
It is about as final as it will get is my assumption; Joneeboi would be the one to answer that. The last revision works well. The Grub DAC that is in it and the Mini^3 it is based on are still available so I don't think there is an issue with parts. Sooo... all we we would need is enough interest and most importantly Joneeboi would have to allow us to produce the boards. I have made a half a dozen or so and love them and the folks I made them for as gifts treasure them and use them all the time. I would be in for 6-8 boards if this were to happen.
Billy

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #846 of 913
I finally got parts from another user.
Now I ran into some difficulties:
I soldered the Carrie (15V DCP), checked everything and applied 5V to it.
Output of the DCP is only about 2,5Vpp
so I unsoldered L1F to check if the output of the DCP would change... it did, Output showed 26Vpp!

I ordered a new DCP, assuming it is broken.

/edit: yep, works like a charm now 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #847 of 913
Well well, look what showed up on my doorstep today:

TO-220 package for size reference, because I am blown away by how tiny these are. I expected them to be small, but not THAT small. I'm really impressed.

I hacked SMD circuits before, but never built a whole one. So to avoid destroying the priceless Carrie PCB, I will start with the GrubDAC. Only when I am satisfied with my skills will I assemble the Carrie.

Thanks, Tom! 
size]

May 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #850 of 913
Quote:
Hmmm.. from my past experience, the Carrie a a much easier to build than the GrubDac. Those smd opamps are very easy to work with, comparing with the PCM and WM on the Grub.

I agree completely in principle.  Trouble is, who knows if there will ever be another Carrie board?  Whereas, I can send him a dozen new GrubDAC PCB's if he messes up.
wink.gif
wink.gif

May 25, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #852 of 913
I would still be up for another round of carrie boards....

May 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #853 of 913
Quote:
I would still be up for another round of carrie boards....

I would suggest you volunteer.

Contact Joneeboi and see if he'll supply you with the Gerbers.  Send them to Imagineering for a quote, divide by the number of boards to determine the per-board-price, add-in your packaging costs (you'll need to buy a bunch of padded envelopes), shipping costs (you'll need to estimate or set a single standard price) and Paypal fees, setup up a database/spreadsheet to save the names, addresses and whether they've paid, decide on the time period then contact Jude for permission, and announce that the Group Buy is open.

Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #854 of 913
Thanks TomB!
I did just that, let's see what happens.
Billy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back