Carlos Mod for Sugden Headmaster a No Brainer???
Jun 26, 2003 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

coho66

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into getting a Sugden Headmaster and weighing the pros/cons of buying new/used...one of which is warranty and whether or not Carlos' mod is essentially a no brainer and sounds better than an un moded headmaster in every respect? Obviously I have to consider this with respect to warranty...as it will void it and hence make buying a new one useless. What do you think?

Thanks,

Dan

Jun 27, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 12
I've heard nothing but favorable reviews of Carlos mods to the Headmaster. Each has stated it made a big improvement over the stock Headmaster sound. So, if you're considering that mod you'll most definitely be voiding your new warranty should you buy new. Second, unless you buy the Sugden new from a Canadian dealer your warranty will not be honored to begin with.

Jun 27, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 12
The Carlo modified Sugden in an excellent amplifier, and I've been quite happy with mine. The mods give it more dynamics, and much better bass control (slam).

If you haven't seen his page on the mods, go to:

http://melosmods.netfirms.com/sugden.htm

I would absolutely go the used/modded route myself.

This is also the one amplifier that really mates well with Audio Technica headphones. It really brings out the best in my AT 2002. So, if you have the opportunity at a set of W1000s this would be a good set up to try them out on.

Jun 27, 2003 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 12
I agree that Carlo's mods transform the Headmaster in magical ways. I had heard non-modded versions several times, and each time it failed to impress me, much to my surprise from all the hoopla I had read prior.

I had an opportunity to listen to a modded version recently and it was beautiful. I also agree that it sounds particulary sweet with A-T's. I used a pair of 2002's at the last audition, and it made them "rock" (yes A-T woodies!). IMO, it is a "must have" for this amp.

Can't speak about the pre-amp changes, though.

Jun 27, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 12
Masz,

Sugden's headphone and preamp outs share the same circuit, anything done to one is done to the other.

(coho - I suggest you get a used unit simply because its cheaper and if you decide to have it modified you'll have a warranty.)

Jun 28, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
Masz,

Sugden's headphone and preamp outs share the same circuit, anything done to one is done to the other.

(coho - I suggest you get a used unit simply because its cheaper and if you decide to have it modified you'll have a warranty.)

So it gets the same kind of improvements as the headphone section? Reason I'm asking is because when I had the Sugden it sounded fine out of the headphone but as a preamp I've heard better. Somehow it's not as transparent as a preamp as it was as a heaphone amp.

Jun 28, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 12
Masz,

Right. If you were using the Sennheiser HD600's or such there's your reason why it sounded so much better as a headphone amp than a preamp
wink.gif

Unfortunately the use of electrolytics in the output stage leaves much to be desired, this is where the smeared presentation of the unit comes from. Using it as a preamp in my system made me think forgiving soft and unresolving. Dave Ellis (old speaker designer) believes that the output caps of a preamp are the second most critical pieces to replace in a speaker system, the first being a speaker's crossover. I'm not sure I agree with that; but in the case of the Sugden replacing those electrolytics with NX were only surpassed by the power supply rework in terms of impact on the sound. I'm talking both as a preamp and headphone amp.

Jun 28, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 12
What do these mods involve? I've tried searching but no particular references to a mod. I had the opportunity to try the Headmaster for a week. Distinctly unimpressed, smeared about describes it.

Jun 28, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by coho66
Obviously I have to consider this with respect to warranty...as it will void it and hence make buying a new one useless. What do you think?

I don't know about the situation in Canada, but in US, the distributior is very reluctant about providing warranty service anyway.
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 12
bangraman -

Check the link that I posted above. It is from Carlo's webpage and it details all of the changes that he makes to the Headmaster.

I had an unusually difficult time finding my Sugden new. I must have made ten phone calls to various distributors/dealers before I found one to buy. Then the thing was full retail price, at that time over $1,000 with taxes, shipping, etc. Then when I got it it didn't have the signiture card that it was supposed to have had, proving that it had been handmade and inspected. Add to that a badly copied (fourth generation?) manual, and I was not overly impressed with the new unit purchase experience.

Since Carlo is still doing these mods, I think used and modded is the way to go.

Of course, that is just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Jun 29, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks. There's probably enough info in the page for me and a friend to figure it out and maybe to improve on. I'm undecided though... I suppose it depends on how cheap I can get a used one to carve up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back