Careful plugging AKG K1000s into speaker taps on amp
May 1, 2006 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gordie

100+ Head-Fier
Last night I plugged the headphone cable for AKG K-1000s into the extension piece while my amp was on, and it blew the fuse in the amp. I keep the extension piece connected to the amp's speaker taps and I unplug the headphones from that when I put them away.

From now on I will make sure to keep the amp off when connecting/disconnecting the headphones using the speaker extension cable. I spoke to the manufacturer and he thought this caused the fuse to blow and recommended keeping the amp off when doing this.

Just a head's up to anyone else who is connecting their K1000s to their speaker taps on the amp. Luckily my amp has no turn on "thump" so it doesn't hit the headphones with a transient when turning it on (I keep the volume on 0 when turning it on just in case).

-- Gordie

May 1, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 5
It happened with the volume on the Panache turned completely down?

May 1, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 5
Mine is always connected to the amp. When i want to listen it, i just unpluging speakers with volume to zero.

May 2, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
It happened with the volume on the Panache turned completely down?

Yes, the volume was on 0. It turns out the Panache does have a bit of a pop when turning on, so to protect the headphones against the transients, I plug something into the headphone jack (which disables the speaker outputs), and then after the amp is on, I unplug the headphone jack to reenable the K1000s.

Seems common wisdom is to avoid plugging things into the speaker jacks when the amp is on (I would have never plugged in speaker cables themselves, but I figured the four pins on the AKG connector would make contact simultaneously and also wouldn't be much shock - but apparently I was wrong).

-- Gordie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back